17 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
quosik says

It’s a great feature! Finally!!!

I beg you to go one more step forward and consider what people are suggesting here. All in one post:

• Suggested by @KBRmedia: “view breakdown” instead of showing all ratings opened.
  • Suggested by @EladChai, @ShermanJackson, @joiaco and more – possibility to discuss, cancel or create a dispute if someone rates an item 1-star for no constructive reason. It happens on eBay, in iTunes Apple Store, in WordPress repository, YouTube videos and in other places that item has 100 5-stars and 2 1-stars. There are haters for no reason out there. And for me 1-star = completely useless, not working at all. Each item objectively deserves at least 2 or 3 stars because no item on the marketplace is complete crap, right? Envato staff ensures that it meets appropriate quality standards. Ignoring this and allowing them rate 1-star without any constructive feedback is only damaging marketplace and authors. If user bought a theme and he is receiving “missing stylesheet” or is trying to install it on wordpress.com hosting – please kindly advice him that he doesn’t have appropriate knowledge, file him a refund and cancel his rating. If he rates an item for subjective reasons (“I’m unable to install it because it made me mad [= because I have zero experience]” rather than “I’m unable to install it because an item is faulty”) then this shouldn’t be considered because item may be objectively well structured, well documented, well built and 100 5-star ratings are the best indicator. This is probably the most important suggestion here.
  • Suggested by @kinzi21, @sanisoft, @vaisnava and more – “provide comment section if a buyer want to rate an item 1 or 2 stars so we know his reason to give the low rating” – this is incredibly valuable marketing tool that allows to fix mistakes. And obviously marketplace globally benefits from authors fixing mistakes right? This is long overdue feature that should be present here for years.
  • Suggested by @justinfrench – “Exactly. So this is the first step, showing the data. A buyer can now see if there are some potentially irrelevant ratings that might be dragging the rating down (or up), rather than just seeing a single opaque average rating.” – instead of showing raw stars to buyers, perhaps show that with comment? If a buyer will see some not constructive, meaningless reason to rate an item 1 star then they will be more convinced that the person who rated is actually not experienced and the item is actually not faulty. Actually, I think that such ratings should be discussed/refunded instead of leaving buyer unhappy.

Additional suggestion: kind re-rate reminder (ask for consideration email) for 1-star, 2-star, 3-star raters once item has been improved/updated. The purpose of rating system should be to let authors get constructive feedback, act upon it (fix mistakes) and hopefully be re-rated or at least rated higher again in the future by other people.

Additional suggestion: items are updated but ratings remain. This may not be a valid approach but maybe ratings should refrect current performance period rather than everything from the very beginning (i.e. delete ratings for deleted items?). Authors learn and everyone starts as a noob. Let past ratings not get down and hold back authors that are now better.

Additional suggestion: Scale difference – each user doesn’t know what 1 star refers to – each one defines it subjectively. Some may think that “1-star = just bad item compared to others” and some will think that “1-star = item that doesn’t work”. This simple difference can raise average rating for entire marketplace by ~1 star and perhaps make everyone happier.

1-star | 2-stars | 3-stars | 4-stars | 5-stars
poor | bad | average | good | very good (excellent)
not working at all (can’t happen) | poor | bad | average | very good (excellent)

And instantly, 1-star rating can’t exist :) It all depends on the definition of 1-star. I don’t know which scale is actually correct but I feel like the second one can make outside/new buyers think/feel/believe/be-prepared-to/be-more-excited-about items on the entire marketplace before they buy them. It’s nicer to choose from 5 and 4 star items than from lower rated ones. Please also note that most people actually already apply scale number #2 unconsciously when rating. That’s why there are so many 5 and 4 star ratings. It makes sense to re-define it (or actually: define for the first time).

Changes that I don’t agree with:

• Suggested by @Godserv – “I do hope Envato implements the email reminder to vote soon, as promised.” – Please compare this to iTunes and App Store. 90% of people don’t like to vote anyone and especially if they don’t think the item is worth 5 starts they prefer not to vote at all. This should be left up to their judgement. I rate Apple Store apps ONLY when I want to really rate them 5 stars. Obligatory rating or rating reminders would piss me off because I don’t want to rate anyone 4 stars, I just leave it unrated then or if I need to complain I send review/feedback without rating attached. I know that everyone is doing what they can and they don’t do mistakes on purpose, right? If they deliver an item of poor quality then they are not educated/experienced enough to see the real value and impact of quality but they should learn and find out soon what’s the difference. I’m happy to buy apps from such people and let them improve themselves thanks to this.
152 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
seal says

Really, really nice, great feature!

I think however the detailed view should be reserved for the authors alone, while users see it as it was before

1661 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+9 more
flashedge says

The overall rating dropped for everybody. Nice. :tired:

213 posts We're here to serve
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+6 more
isoarts says

meme

Ha, ha, so perfect! :-)

391 posts
  • Located in United States
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+4 more
WPExplorer says

meme
Ha, ha, so perfect! :-)

LOOOOL. Exactly.

I do like the idea of having the ability to toggle the section open/close that someone mentioned earlier.

2128 posts
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+6 more
urbazon says

Just a minor note: I don’t like how the info is present, it takes to much space and just pushes down the more important “item info box”. This may increase the probability of buyers not reading this information and buying an item that is not exactly what they want from a technically point of view. Just more support resources wasted at this point.

That was my initial impression as well. IMHO it shouldn’t be placed so high in the sidebar.

3701 posts Community Moderator
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+
  • Located in Netherlands
+9 more
Joost Volunteer moderator says

Looks really nice! Great way to solve the issue of people being angry at a 4-star average rating, as it now clearly shows that it was just one silly 1-star rating that took down the average. Turned out better than I dared to hope for, personally ;)

Just a minor note: I don’t like how the info is present, it takes to much space and just pushes down the more important “item info box”. This may increase the probability of buyers not reading this information and buying an item that is not exactly what they want from a technically point of view. Just more support resources wasted at this point.

I agree – perhaps a ‘expand-arrow’ would help. Don’t show the expanded rating by default, and then click a link to show the specifications.

1770 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
+8 more
FinalDestiny says

Great stuff. But requires some mork, a more complex algorithm. Noob buyers should matter less, experienced ones with lots of purchases and activity should matter more. There are just too many items with like 20 of 5 stars and 2 one star. It’s quite obvious right? Why should we suffer because we respect the TOS?

504 posts
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Greece
+8 more
steve314 says

That was my initial impression as well. IMHO it shouldn’t be placed so high in the sidebar.

+1 Nice addition but way bigger than it should be!

2128 posts
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+6 more
urbazon says

There is a preview “glitch” in Firefox on portfolio page:

by
by
by
by