40 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Located in Europe
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
ab-themes says

I think trending is great idea, but it only needs to be limited to new items (e.g. last 3 months), otherwise in long term I see no difference to popular items list…

25 posts olia.gozha
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+3 more
olechka says

Some big marketplaces out there provide options for ‘undiscovered’ and ‘random’ in their search feature.
  • ‘Undiscovered’ is for users who want to see unique items. It’s like saying “I want to be different. I don’t want those popular wp themes again and again
  • ‘Random’ is like saying “Surprise me!”.

This way, it would be easier for users to reach older items which have low sales / low exposures.

It’s AWESOME idea!

Sometimes I want to find something unique and not popular among envato marketplaces which means less people will use this item and possibility that this stuff will be elsewhere is lower. As you said option “I want to be different” is what I’m looking for and I think there must be other people with the same need to get “not popular” files.

+1 for “Surprise me option” which great when you don’t know precisely what exact theme, template or whatever you want. When you have general understanding and would like to see different options of the search results.

1877 posts YOU TOUCH IT YOU BUY IT
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+6 more
FRESHFACE says

This should be possible once a proper parametric search is implemented, i.e., “Show me files with less than 7 sales”.

368 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
QBKL says

Both “Trending” and the suggested “Undiscovered” filters should have a time span set to a very recent period, as ab-themes noted. It’s the only way they’d actually serve their purpose.

“Trending” all time is no different than popular.

“Undiscovered” all time just returns cluttered results filled not only with “hidden gems”, but also a ton of projects that along the years never passed the public’s standards, never actually sold.

“Undiscovered” only makes sense for newly released items (1-3 months), where I have the chance to be an “early adopter”.

Regards, Alex

200 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
GraphiTivity says

“Undiscovered” is almost there click on sales and click on ascending order that brings up the items that are not sold much…

6029 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

“Undiscovered” is almost there click on sales and click on ascending order that brings up the items that are not sold much…

Undiscovered is most likely not based on sales but page views in ascending order. (within a span of time of course)

4678 posts Love & Light
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+8 more
digitalscience says

I agree with most here that the trending feature is cool, except too much focus on popular files. The original idea was to boost exposure to newer files due to the increasing amount of new content submitted and reduced home page time.

The word “trend” itself means something “new and currently popular” similar to a fashion trend.. so it defeats the purpose also showing potentially older top sellers as trending files. These should be in separate category called “Popular”.

We need to differentiate more between popular files.. and new files that are currently popular. Therefore the trending feature must be based on a limited time period. So the result is a “trending item” is a forerunner to a “popular item”.

The 3 life stages of an item should be “new” then “trending” then “popular”. The “trending” features purpose is to help a new item become popular.

3732 posts
  • Located in United Kingdom
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
+8 more
ToivoMedia says

I agree with most here that the trending feature is cool, except too much focus on popular files. The original idea was to boost exposure to newer files due to the increasing amount of new content submitted and reduced home page time.

The word “trend” itself means something “new and currently popular”.. so it defeats the purpose also showing top sellers as trending files. These should be in separate category called “Popular”.

We need to differentiate more between popular files.. and new files that are currently popular. Therefore the trending feature must be based on a limited time period. So the result is a “trending item” is a forerunner to a “popular item”.

The 3 life stages of an item should be “new” then “trending” then “popular”. The “trending” feature sole purpose is to help a new item become popular.

Maybe a possible solution would be when a file has a certain amount of sales it doesn’t show up as trending any more, like 100 sales or something. Or it could incrementally get more difficult for it to qualify as trending as its sales total becomes higher.

129 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+5 more
tdubic says

Cool new feature

17 posts Perfect UX
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
ThemeSphere says

As others have rightly pointed out, it seems like the algorithm used can cause a snowball effect. Once trending, always trending. You should definitely include a decay factor of some sort – date, relative change over time etc.

It already seems to be the case from what can be seen so far. It will hurt older themes if they never achieved the trending badge.

It’s a positive sign that envato is finally trying to bring in change, however, there’s always room for constructive feedback.

by
by
by
by
by
by