88 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market Member of the Envato Team Won the Envato Football Cup
+1 more
damirkotoric Envato team says

My very first new feature post. (Yay!) (Please be gentle) As part of our ongoing efforts to improve the search experience on the Marketplaces, we are about to launch a simplified search results page, featuring the following changes:

Simplified search and browse UI

Current:

New:

Goodbye to the “refine search” box in the sidebar

The purpose of this second search box was to guide users to refine their current search. We chose to remove it because it cluttered the interface without adding any significant value to the user. Its sole function was to add another search term to the search query, something that can be done with a single search box by simply entering two terms one after another!

Furthermore, it added room for confusion. e.g. “How is this search box different to me entering two words in the main header search box?”, “Do I have to repeat the keyword/s I already entered in the main search box in order to refine?”. This element created more problems than it solved, resulting in its removal.

Hello sort buttons

We replaced the ‘sort select box / sort arrow’ combination in favour of sort buttons. The problem with the old interface was that it wasn’t always clear what order the selected sort would return. For example, if you selected the Date option, then clicked on the arrow for it to face down, it wasn’t very obvious whether you’d get the newest or oldest results first. Using the sort buttons this is no longer an issue. Since the button is labelled ‘newest’ it removes any guess work.

Useful title bar

The ‘Home > Search’ breadcrumb was removed and instead a breadcrumb of the selected category filter is displayed next to the search results copy. This reminds the user that they’ve filtered their search down to a specific category. A subtle change, but we believe an improvement nonetheless :)

Initially, we’ll roll out the new design to 50% of our users. We will carefully monitor the effects of the changes to make sure that they, in fact, have improved the user experience and haven’t had a detrimental effect on conversions.

New and exciting feedback tool

We’re really stoked to announce a new way for our users to provide quick and instant feedback on new feature releases. You will see a megaphone icon next to new features briefly explaining the change, linking to a detailed explanation on the forums and finally giving you a chance to vote on it! We will use this information along with the forums to gauge the opinion of our community on changes or new features as we release them.

Finally, the video above shows a sneak peek at some in-progress work on the PhotoDune search results page. I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

2148 posts aspire to create - create to inspire
    Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame Had an item featured on Envato Market
+8 more
Creattive says

Do I understand it right that you have removed the option for descending/ascending results? I cannot see highest price first, always lowest price (or the other way round) ?

23 posts
    Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Member of the Envato Team Located in Australia
+2 more
tombryan Envato team says

Great job Damir and Search! Looking forward to it all coming together :)

88 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market Member of the Envato Team Won the Envato Football Cup
+1 more

@Creattive Correct. The ascending / descending arrow is gone in favour of the new, simplified controls. However, one can still navigate to lowest price for example by clicking on the price button, then clicking on the last page, which is always shown in the pager.

@tombryan Thanks mate. So are we.

582 posts Magento Elite & Gravity Maker
    Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market Located in United States Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+3 more
GravityDept says

Any update on faceted navigation coming to all marketplaces?

73 posts
    Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame Sells items exclusively on Envato Market Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has referred 100+ members
+3 more
CleanAndSimple says

Hi Damir ,
I like the idea of sort buttons replacing the sort select box . I think it’s more user friendly and intuitive .
Also , great job on the feedback tool . A lot of people don’t even use the forum unless they have a problem or something and it’s nice they now have a say in the improvement of the Envato marketplace.
Keep up the good work .

PS: You’re the first one I see owing money to Envato ($-173) :D

88 posts
+1 more

@GravityDept that’s an important one. We still have a few things to work on before we start on the faceting work but it’s definitely on our to-do list. Unfortunately I can’t give you a date yet. We’ll make an announcement as soon as we have something more concrete.

@CleanAndSimple Shhh, don’t talk about it or Envato will notice :) actually to explain, that screenshot was taken on our development environment where funny things like that can happen. Collis, if you read this, I’m not stealing I swear! xD

3014 posts
    Helps us moderate the forums Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations Won a competition
+16 more
dtbaker Volunteer moderator says

Do I have to logout or something? Or was the change rolled back? Just tried testing and got \\

Same with the new purchase page :(

* feels left out *

73 posts
    Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame Sells items exclusively on Envato Market Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has referred 100+ members
+3 more
CleanAndSimple says

@dtbaker:

... we are about to launch a simplified search results page, featuring the following changes …

Initially, we’ll roll out the new design to 50% of our users
3014 posts
    Helps us moderate the forums Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations Won a competition
+16 more
dtbaker Volunteer moderator says

@dtbaker:

Initially, we’ll roll out the new design to 50% of our users

derp

by
by
by
by
by
by