220 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+4 more
SurStudio says

The problem is, we get bad ratings most of the time because the users expect the theme to fly, I just don’t get it, I have some 4 star ratings on html templates, they see the whole source code, I just don’t get it why they buy it and rate it 4. :D

I just don’t get it why they buy it and rate it 4

+1

180 posts Enjoy!
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+6 more
XanderRock says

imo these are very bad suggestions as there are not many buyers with more than 10 purchases and we are already now having not enough ratings at our items. Let only people rate who have bought 10 items would let the number of given ratings decrease immensely.

I saw you have a really nice After Effects portfolio. And that is correct when you are working with videos, music and graphics. But it doesn’t work the same for the code based items.

Most of you know how stackoverflow works. They do it because coders are using their system. And because of that system, you can see the correct answer of the questions there. Because they don’t allow newly registered members to downgrade an answer. And I think that is really necessary for code based items here.

XanderRock

778 posts
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+6 more
LCweb says

If one of your buyers installs some new WP release which brakes your plugin, then that customer might be angry and give you a bad rating. You fix the problem. But you still have to carry with the bad rating. It’s fine, I just don’t agree.

Here you can see great authors from “normal” authors. It’s everything about support.

The support of a good author will care to these issues and solve them in the shortest time lapse, but a great author already knows what is coming with next releases and simply won’t have any problem.

Remember that all the ratings come from paying customers and when you pay something you want it to be working seamlessly 1 sec after the purchase. Then remove ratings is not fair also for purchasers.

Rather: a solution should be to send a mail to unsatisfied customers (1/2 star ratings) when you update a product. Something like “Product X has been updated, do you confirm your rating?” (what an horrible example :D )

The author can check the “low-rating reminder” updating items, so if you release big improvements, you can have good chanches that fair customers will raise their ratings!

220 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+4 more
SurStudio says

If one of your buyers installs some new WP release which brakes your plugin, then that customer might be angry and give you a bad rating. You fix the problem. But you still have to carry with the bad rating. It’s fine, I just don’t agree.

Here you can see great authors from “normal” authors. It’s everything about support.

The support of a good author will care to these issues and solve them in the shortest time lapse, but a great author already knows what is coming with next releases and simply won’t have any problem.

So, as you see, a developer not only should be great knowing and overcoming all the current issues/bugs of products coming from multi-million dollars companies, but a great developer should be able to imagine their future bugs and/or future functionality drops. I disagree again.

Anyway, do you think it will hurt anybody to force customers to explain their ratings? Although explaining a 5 star rating might not make much sense, what else could you say: -Works as advertised?

2303 posts aspire to create - create to inspire
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+9 more
Creattive says

imo these are very bad suggestions as there are not many buyers with more than 10 purchases and we are already now having not enough ratings at our items. Let only people rate who have bought 10 items would let the number of given ratings decrease immensely.

I saw you have a really nice After Effects portfolio. And that is correct when you are working with videos, music and graphics. But it doesn’t work the same for the code based items.

Thanks for the nice words :)

I honestly cannot say if there are major differences with the rating behaviour at themeforest, but at videohive it is so that only about one out of ten customers rates his purchase. It does take quite a while to get to 3 ratings so that you have a rating at your item.

One of the main goals justin mentioned is to get more buyers to rate. And I think this is right, as many satisfied buyers just forget to rate or are too lazy to figure out how to do it. These would most probably give 5 stars as they are satisfied enough not to have any support questions.

The low number of overall ratings also makes the 1 star ratings so dangerous for the overall rating. if every buyer that has no problems gives 5 stars, the low number of 1 stars, coming from people who are misunderstanding the plugin / template wouldn’t be as terrible as they are now.

I fully support the idea to not let people who have no idea what they are doing rate our items. But I don’t think that a restriction tied to the number of purchases made will be the best thing to reach that goal, it will just decrease the number of items getting any rating at all.

1029 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Contributed a free file of the month
+6 more
greenline says
....as many satisfied buyers just forget to rate or are too lazy to figure out how to do it.

This is not necessary the truth. For instance, for one of my items, the number of ratings is smaller than the number of purchases, just because most of the people who bought it, came from outside codecanyon, payed with credit card or paypal and they do not have an Evato user account.

So if they don’t have an Envato account, they cannot rate or comment the items.

I also do that often when I buy clothes from the internet: I always like the “fast” way: buy something with my credit card, just enter the card details and that’s it….. without creating an account on each website from where I buy things.

1051 posts
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
+7 more
Sonicbyte says

Sounds great, at last this will being start to show some progress. Hope the next milestone will be the search engine.

Btw: will be any special feature for audiojungle marketplace ? I mean the problem that sometimes buyers rate with 1 star items that they clearly hear before they buy it…

778 posts
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
+6 more
LCweb says

So, as you see, a developer not only should be great knowing and overcoming all the current issues/bugs of products coming from multi-million dollars companies, but a great developer should be able to imagine their future bugs and/or future functionality drops. I disagree again. Anyway, do you think it will hurt anybody to force customers to explain their ratings? Although explaining a 5 star rating might not make much sense, what else could you say: -Works as advertised?

All the main assets that we use have a long beta-phase and explain all the changes, it’s up to you to test everything before or repair after. Anyway: different points of view :)

On the 5 stars I agree, has no sense ;)

95 posts Live. Love. ASAP
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+6 more
liviu_cerchez says

I would personally prefer a Like system in favor of a 5 stars rating system. Whoever appreciates an item marks it as Liked, the others don’t have an option to dislike – but can leave a comment explaining their case. “Keep it simple, keep it stupid”.

1029 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Contributed a free file of the month
+6 more
greenline says

I would personally prefer a Like system in favor of a 5 stars rating system. Whoever appreciates an item marks it as Liked, the others don’t have an option to dislike – but can leave a comment explaining their case. “Keep it simple, keep it stupid”.

Yes, it might sound good, but …now, an item with 1 star rating, means poor quality and you can take this as an evaluation….. while in the case of ‘Like’ system, less likes can mean both poor quality but also can be only the case when people forgot to “like’ it or maybe people who bought it without having an Envato prepaid account, thus no possibility of rating/linking.

by
by
by
by
by
by