512 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Located in Australia
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+1 more
justinfrench Envato team says

I think it’s a shame the way this feature has been addressed. Because you had devs writing code (half stars, average and breakdown) and no planning. Then came the survey, and now is only planning.

Well, we planned those changes too. We felt they made enough sense to be shipped in isolation. I know you personally don’t agree with that plan, but there was definitely a plan :)

220 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+4 more
SurStudio says

I think it’s a shame the way this feature has been addressed. Because you had devs writing code (half stars, average and breakdown) and no planning. Then came the survey, and now is only planning.
Well, we planned those changes too. We felt they made enough sense to be shipped in isolation. I know you personally don’t agree with that plan, but there was definitely a plan :)

Well that’s right. Instead of no planning I should have said barely planned.

Trying to read what’s going on behind the scenes, I imagine that the impact of those changes weren’t too positive. Usually, when we make changes, we expect changes. And if the result is positive, we continue developing those changes. I think those changes were planned really fast, and then a non positive result came up. Then a deeper plan came: the survey. This happened long months ago, and still planning. Sounds like Envato is having a lot of doubts and is really afraid of continuing the development of this feature and have to be very careful, cannot mess up things twice in a roll.

Of course this is just my interpretation :)

7650 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

I know you personally don’t agree with that plan, but there was definitely a plan :)

I have a problem with promises.

envato is free to plan and implement changes as they like. I’m not the owner of envato and don’t force anyone to do what I want.

it looks like we are wasting our and envato time by suggestion changes on forum that will never be delivered :(

441 posts
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+7 more
Jaynesh says

Hmm, seeing the comments the user left has nothing to do with the search system, I don’t understand why we can’t see that data since it’s been months since you started collecting it.

Right, I thought you were asking about the ratings-related bugs/quirks in the old search engine, not the research we’ve been doing.

The data we collected was to help us understand the how the rating system is being used and inform our plans, not to be shared directly with authors (and it was collected from buyers on that basis).

The plan was to share what we learned the same time that we announce the next steps for ratings. This is all still true, all still important, but I don’t have a timeline at this stage sorry.

I seriously don’t understand how that data can help you improve the ratings system. They won’t be providing feedback on the rating system, they will be providing feedback on the item. This is valuable data that can help improve our themes. Today I received 3 bad ratings, with no email, no comment, no ticket. I don’t know what is going wrong. This is probably one big joke to you.

2002 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
bitfade says

out-of-nowhere 1 star ratings, 5 months after this thread has been created, we ear that nothing has been coded and there’s still no ETA.

I wish i could say that was unexpected, too bad that’s exactly how it ends up each time.

6029 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

I have a simple question, so hopefully you can give a simple straight answer. The question is: Is anybody currently working on the Rating System? Yes/No
Yes, but that’s half an answer. Are there people planning changes? Yes. Are there devs writing code? No.

With all due respect justin, thanks for giving the honest snapshot of what is currently happening. So is there any idea when the planning phase will complete? Can we expect a new feature on rating system that adds public or private comment along with star rating?

(Even the rating dropdown that temporarily implemented for a while can be allowed to go live and just display it privately for author only. So the author will have better idea about for what reason the 5 star or 1 star received. Even the buyer name can be obscured – in case buyer’s privacy is a concern that prevents this from implementing)

I started to suspect Envato is just buying time as much as possible so that the current model of market can’t be changed too much; even-though the current one is not (permanently) favorable for buyers and authors but just works too well for Envato alone?

2002 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
bitfade says

even-though the current one is not (permanently) favorable for buyers and authors but just works too well for Envato alone?
That’s the point: envato pockets are not affected by the current (poor) rating system, either author or buyer lose but they get their cut anyway. On the other hand, a solution for sale reversals was indeed implemented.
512 posts
  • Located in Australia
+1 more

This is probably one big joke to you.

Absolutely not.

512 posts
  • Located in Australia
+1 more

I started to suspect Envato is just buying time as much as possible so that the current model of market can’t be changed too much; even-though the current one is not (permanently) favorable for buyers and authors but just works too well for Envato alone?

A rating system that doesn’t benefit the community overall is not a rating system that “works well” for Envato, as it’s not inline with our values.

5361 posts The Dude Abides
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+9 more
CodingJack says

Not sure this has been answered, but what’s the reasoning behind not fully implementing the feedback feature?

I have a feeling Envato is afraid that the feedback feature will just lead to author outrage for “unjustified” ratings. But if that’s the case, you’re really underestimating us as a whole. Sure, some authors will open threads saying, “not fair, blah blah”, but it would be really easy for a mod to just lock the thread and link to a Wiki explaining that all ratings, regardless of merit, are final.

The rest of us who know better really just want the feedback. Imagine if a teacher sent a student home with a failing report card but without any written feedback. Then, when the parents call the teacher asking why their child failed so miserably, the teacher said: “Sorry, we can’t divulge that information, school policy”. :P

by
by
by
by
by
by