• Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+5 more
CodingJack says

No doubt we all experience @Flow’s frustrations. Only thing is, I’m not sure what the solution is. We sell key-turn solutions which are great for professionals who want to save time/money, but also attract users who are usually in over their head. Sometimes they realize it, sometimes they get frustrated and lash out at us. And it’s the latter that’s the root of most author frustration when it comes to the support/ratings discussion.

If we ever get the written feedback it will be a great tool, but it won’t solve the problem of unjustified 1 star ratings. Personally, I really only care about ratings when an item is first released. Once an item reaches a few hundred sales, it usually has enough 4-5 star ratings to shield any 1 star ratings that might come along. But items are extremely vulnerable at the beginning, and if one of your first 5 ratings just happens to be a 1 star, you’re usually screwed.

Everyone gets 1 star ratings (if you’re lucky enough to not have had any, you just haven’t been around long enough). And these lovely gifts can happen at any time. Take for example one of the top selling themes of all time. What if they started out with a 3 star rating? Would they have gone on to earn millions? Maybe, but maybe not. So why are we giving buyers the power to cost people millions? Reminds me of Austin Powers who busts in blackjack and asks for another hit, saying, “I like to live dangerously”.

Maybe the solution is to require mandatory feedback for low ratings. And then maybe a system could be implemented where someone with a 3 star average or less could ask support for a “ratings review”, where low ratings would be evaluated and possibly removed if the reason given wasn’t reasonable. And because authors are most vulnerable at the beginning (and to make the support burden manageable), maybe authors can only request a ratings review if they have a total of 5 or less ratings.

157 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Exclusive Author
Draganov89 says

Superbly guys!

1989 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Won a Competition
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
+4 more
bitfade says

“Very bad custom service, I’ve asked 4 question on their official forum. The only answer I got is “you need to pay extra money for this”. Basically means no money no help. 1 star for this theme”

The above despite the fact we have 4 people answering in forums, 2 of which paid just to do that. Needless to say for free

There are very few things that piss me off as much as reading such kind of messages in item comments, knowing there’s nothing i can do about it.

2263 posts Bird is the word..
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
jonathan01 says

Maybe they should just remove stars and have a like – if you don’t like you don’t vote, if you do like then you vote – having a single point of + and no – would remove the issue of several 5 stars and 1 1 star = low rating overall?

Just a thought, as I doubt very much for privacy that Envato will include comments that are displayed showing the reason (right or not) which means if we can’t do that then authors and files shouldn’t be held to ransom?

I dunno.. :)

3365 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+4 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says

Maybe they should just remove stars and have a like – if you don’t like you don’t vote, if you do like then you vote – having a single point of + and no – would remove the issue of several 5 stars and 1 1 star = low rating overall?

Just a thought, as I doubt very much for privacy that Envato will include comments that are displayed showing the reason (right or not) which means if we can’t do that then authors and files shouldn’t be held to ransom?

I dunno.. :)

After watching this debate for years, I have to agree that this is really the best solution.

1989 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
+4 more
bitfade says

There was a time when this option was being seriously considered by the devs. Me, huge fan of it. Not because the better solution but because the faster way to get rid of the 1 star rating issue.

We should have took the chance back then but, instead, a lot of other authors voiced against it. So here we are.
5543 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • India
+3 more
VF says

“Very bad custom service, I’ve asked 4 question on their official forum. The only answer I got is “you need to pay extra money for this”. Basically means no money no help. 1 star for this theme”

The above despite the fact we have 4 people answering in forums, 2 of which paid just to do that. Needless to say for free

There are very few things that piss me off as much as reading such kind of messages in item comments, knowing there’s nothing i can do about it.

Usually support requests impact the ratings but this particular scenario shouldn’t be put on table to blame the rating system.

If you look closely, the buyer didn’t ask you for paid support. But your first reply speaks about that. Usually the safest approach is first conveying that it is not within the scope and see if buyer understands that. In case the buyer asks for paid service, then you are safe to convey about possibility. Otherwise, you are creating room for misunderstanding. (considering the fact that you already know how the buyers approach support :D )

We should have took the chance back then but, instead, a lot of other authors voiced against it. So here we are.

Do you really believe star rating system isn’t converted into ‘like’ system due to lack of support from community? AudioJungle is the best marketplace to start implementing / converted into ‘like’ system (even the buyers wont take it as wrong), but we still not see there happening. It is more to do with staffs decision rather than community voice. Note that all the new additions made on ratings so far are nothing new and long overdue features already followed by many markets like amazon.

And having a clever rating system wont necessarily halt the support issues / expectations (while many authors themselves advertise about support with superlative words – it is also a problem related to trend). Of course we need to try stopping the unfair ratings that comes from support expectations – but if we halt the star ratings, then bad buyers will simply find another best way to attack (probably flooding the comment section, etc). Then the item comment section will become a “new rating system”.

1582 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Beta Tester
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
+2 more
FinalDestiny says

It’s about how you approach them. If they ask for something and you tell them they need to pay for it, obviously it will come bad since on ThemeForest there wasn’t anywhere anything about paying extra for something.

However, if you make them understand that support is included but this is above the support, it’s customization and it’s not included, they may understand. Or at least in my case, where I don’t offer any customization services at all. Some may do and may actually want to get customization projects from their customers, but I’m sure there’s always a way.

1989 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
+4 more
bitfade says

@VF and FD
nobody asks for money in our support forum. Ever. Some small customizations are even done free of charge by our staff. Complex ones we just say “not possible, hire a freelancer” or redirect them to a customizations thread where 3rd party devs are willing to take the job if the buyer wants to pay and even in this case, we don’t get any extra cash. Buyer statement was just a plain lie, asked him to provide links to see where he was asked to pay, needless to say we got no response. He even mentioned he should have got our item “for free” instead of paying for it.

The above doesn’t qualify as a valid reason to rate an item 1 star in my book, same as:

• your theme doesn’t work on wp.com
  • your html template cannot be installed in wp.
  • your package didn’t include preview assets (even if you mentioned they’re not included).

FUD in item comments, i can deal with. 1 stars given for the above reasons, nothing i can do about it, i blame the system.

Do you really believe star rating system isn’t converted into ‘like’ system due to lack of support from community? AudioJungle is the best marketplace to start implementing / converted into ‘like’ system (even the buyers wont take it as wrong), but we still not see there happening.
Maybe, maybe not. The point is, there was a time when it was being considered but a lot of authors were against it and the idea was abandoned.

All i know is that a global change from stars to likes would be much simpler and take less time to implement than all the alternative solutions and therefore most likely to happen.

5543 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • India
+3 more
VF says

All i know is that a global change from stars to likes would be much simpler and take less time to implement than all the alternative solutions and therefore most likely to happen.

Personally my worry is such a simple thing not even implemented for most suitable marketplaces like AudioJungle. When it comes to ‘like’ system, the problem is not with implementation, it is about buyer’s reaction for such a big change. These threads didn’t address that particular thing seriously.

by
by
by
by
by
by