• Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • United Kingdom
SoundFix says

Awesome news! Seems like a lot of changes are being made here lately which is great and shows that Envato listens to its authors :D

206 posts
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Argentina
  • Exclusive Author
SurStudio says

Show a breakdown of the average

I think this is horrible. Specially when you’ll be running a hundred years ago rating algorithm. Now, average isn’t good, but at least there’s a chance to get the item rated with 5 stars. Now, will be impossible to get rid of those ratings from people who are using WordPress 0.3.5.1 running on PHP 4, with IE 4 browsers.

the precise numerical value of the average (e.g. “4.6” or “3.9”).

I wonder what’s the purpose of this. It’ll be nearly impossible to get a perfect 5. I can have 1,000 ratings with 5 starts, and only 1 with 4 stars, the average will be less than 5, no matter what I do, the average will never be 5. In short, it’ll only take a single rating lower than 5 to ruin the perfect average, forever.

Rounding to half stars

Again, punishing authors. Is true that some items might get rounded up, but if an item is being rounded up, it’ll be to get a half star up, for instance: if an item has an average rating of 4.4, it will get 4 and a half stars. If an item has a rating of 4.7, then it’ll get rounded down.

If I have an item with a rating of, lets say, 4.4, then I rather stick with the 4 stars rating, knowing that I can work it up, I just need a few 5 stars rating to get the item to the top.

But, in short: round up > only to get a half star more; round down > will ruin the nice full stars shape, we already have enough users asking questions… for instance: I’m using the X-Ray and MediaBuggyGrid plugins along with the BayWatch theme, will this script work fine? Can you assure it 100%? They now will have good reasons to ask such questions.

And, if you’re rounding half stars, will be fair to let costumers to rate half stars too.

Encouraging more ratings

I think this is ok, but could be better though. Contact those people whose ratings are lower than 5 stars, tell them to confirm that rating within a couple of weeks or their ratings will be removed, and they must give an explanation of why the item didn’t deserve the 5 stars. Let authours reply to that review, let potential costumers see the thread. In short, be fair. And let authors rate costumers too.

What are we rating, exactly?

So you don’t know what customers are beeing rating, but you allow them to rate anyway. Doesn’t sound like a good idea to me.

Who rated this, and why?

If you admit that are many things to do, why do you want to release a non finished update? Get everything done, and deploy a fully fledged fair functional rating system.

Ratings are forever?

Please please, at least drop the stone age average system. See http://blog.linkibol.com/2010/05/07/how-to-build-a-popularity-algorithm-you-can-be-proud-of/

Sorry for these comments, but as an author is hard enough to keep the 5 stars up with the current lousy rating system, and these changes are about to make things even harder. Very frustrating.

5 stars means the item works as advertised. Anything else will cause the costumer to think “why o why this doesn’t have 5 stars? Is there something wrong with it? Hmm, it works fine on the demo, but will it work on my site?”

I also wonder what do you expect to get with this partial update. I mean, really, what’s the goal?

When you go to a shop, the salesman shows you the product, shows you how it works and stuff. You don’t get to see a chart stating “you should know that X number people weren’t happy with it, and we don’t really know why… but hey, here you have a scale of non fully happiness”

Cheers, Fred

3392 posts Nice Guy
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+5 more
KrownThemes says

lol Fred, you’re against everyone here! :D

All the points raised in your post are bad.. I see that you’re a new author here.. Well we have been asking for “rounding the half stars”, “breaking the average” & “encourange rating” for ages now.. These are all dreams that came to live for people who asked them for years.. There are dozens of topics on ratings and all of those resolve(more or less) in this one.

206 posts
  • Argentina
  • Exclusive Author
SurStudio says

Maybe I wasn’t clear enough, my point is this:

There’ll be no chance to get a perfectly rated item. Put the half stars, break down the average if you want. But drop the lousy average system. Give authors the chance of getting a perfect 5.

7121 posts
  • Italy
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
+1 more
doru says

by ratings I was thinking more of buyers reviews of the item. Something like amazon.

If someone see a 1 star rating where buyer protested because he wasn’t able to buy the whole marketplace for the price of one item, a sane people will understand that this is ridiculous and has nothing to do with the item.

I would had do it like this:

break the ratings in two, “stars only” with no review are some sort of popularity ratings and are not so important and visible. “stars with written reviews” are the important part and are given the greatest visibility in search, on item page and on “sort by” menu.

the current ratings wold be moved on the first ratings info and new ratings with review will become the main and important rating info. Buyers can’t leave both type of ratings to an item. Only the basic or the advanced. If they already rated the item before this system is implemented they can convert the star rating by adding a review even if the rating is old.

a star + text review helps the author to understand where the issues is, and the buyers to leave precise feedback and to better understand the item before buying it. The marketplace support will get less requests.

Is a win situation for everyone.

Flagging reviews should be present and the author should be allowed to answer to the review comment. If someone say: “The item don’t work on my xbox 1 star!” the author may reply “Item fixed, it works now on xbox, wii and ps3”. A potential buyer may see this and even if the rating is still 1 star, he knows the issue was fixed and he will not have problem with the item.

Buying other people items and drag them down with 1 stars ratings is off course not allowed but this doesn’t means it can’t happen. When the potential sales of an item, if it can get on top of other (maybe better) items, can be hundred of thousands of dollars, one can get a little evil and invest some money in damaging the competition. When you can earn a quarter of million what is a couple of hundreds of dollars invested to get yourself on the top?

I’m not saying this happens but with the system I’m talking about, this can be minimized since one needs to justify his rating. Not just rate one star and be gone. Or five stars. You need to write a review. And the review will show if the rating is justified.

Buyers could earn some sort of points if they review. Not only they win karma for helping the authors build better items or for helping other buyers take better purchase decisions, but they could get some benefit. Maybe after N review ratings, they get a discount on a purchase, or some exclusive access to a book or tutorial.

2024 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Austria
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
revaxarts says

Maybe I wasn’t clear enough, my point is this: There’ll be no chance to get a perfectly rated item. Put the half stars, break down the average if you want. But drop the lousy average system. Give authors the chance of getting a perfect 5.

If you have 4+ rating the rating doesn’t matter at all IMHO

314 posts
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Europe
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
SuggeElson says

Good news at least

983 posts It's in the pipeline!
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Exclusive Author
+2 more
purethemes says

Maybe I wasn’t clear enough, my point is this: There’ll be no chance to get a perfectly rated item. Put the half stars, break down the average if you want. But drop the lousy average system. Give authors the chance of getting a perfect 5.
I hate to break it to you, but nothing is perfect in this world. Even Scarlett Johansson.
206 posts
  • Argentina
  • Exclusive Author
SurStudio says

If you have 4+ rating the rating doesn’t matter at all IMHO

I think it does matter. It matters as authors can be seen as perfectionists, and in the case of some issue arises, the author will be there fixing everything promptly. And it also matters when you work as a freelancer. Currently, I can say to my clients, I charge X USD per hour, yes it is expensive, but look at this: I have hundreds/thousands of people using my products. My items are rated at their best. EVERYBODY is happy.

Let me put it in this way: -Why wouldn’t you let authors to try to achieve perfect rating?

2024 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Austria
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
revaxarts says

Buyers could earn some sort of points if they review. Not only they win karma for helping the authors build better items or for helping other buyers take better purchase decisions, but they could get some benefit. Maybe after N review ratings, they get a discount on a purchase, or some exclusive access to a book or tutorial.

That’s a good one! Honor buyers for rate our items. But don’t give them something the don’t need.

Better would be $ 1,- for every 10 rating comments (with at least 20 words each)

by
by
by
by
by
by