• Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Europe
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
maarcin says

Good :) Hope this will be up soon.

Couple things that I would like to know when someone rate my items: 1. Who and what rating someone gave me 2. Description of the rating is a must and authors should be able to report them like comments

Some clients gave you 1 star only because you didn’t do some custom coding for free for them, but I believe everyone met someone like that already.

Authors should have additional ‘rating’ menu item (in dropdown) where they could see who, what and why.

2024 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Austria
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
+3 more
revaxarts says

Let me put it in this way: -Why wouldn’t you let authors to try to achieve perfect rating?

I did – in the past. But even with some 4 star ratings I can’t say that sales dropped for these items. Actually my best selling email template has a 4 star rating. I also would buy a 4 star rated item without concerns.

Look at peerapong for instance: 4 star rating for most of his items and also the most of his bestseller has 4 stars.

It doesn’t matter – except for your ego ;)

206 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Argentina
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
SurStudio says

Let me put it in this way: -Why wouldn’t you let authors to try to achieve perfect rating?

I did – in the past. But even with some 4 star ratings I can’t say that sales dropped for these items. Actually my best selling email template has a 4 star rating. I also would buy a 4 star rated item without concerns.

Look at peerapong for instance: 4 star rating for most of his items and also the most of his bestseller has 4 stars.

My friend, you’re not answering the Why wouldn’t you let authors to try to achieve perfect rating? question ;)

peerapong, you and many other Elite authors are established authors, maybe that’s why 4 stars are ok (and maybe that “rule” applies to ThemeForest only). And you don’t know if those items are going to remain with 4 stars, maybe some will drop to 3 and a half stars. Have you considered how 3 and a half stars would look like?

And as I said before, this can be used as a presentation card. I can show to potential customers that I have attained the best possible rating. With averages, that’s practically impossible. All I’m saying is, let me and other people aim for perfection, what’s the problem with that?

1864 posts YOU TOUCH IT YOU BUY IT
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
+1 more
FRESHFACE says

Way to go Justin and the dev team, is it just me or is there a new energy shining from the inside of Envato? :) Can’t wait for all the new features, keep it up.

2024 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Austria
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
+3 more
revaxarts says

^ no problem at all, Sir!

In a perfect world we can have a perfect rating.

To answer your question: You can achieve a perfect rating! But you have to work harder and than there are still buyers who simply downrate your item for whatever reason.

The point is that it’s not required to have a 5.0 rating all over the place and if buyers know how the (new) rating works and the can read (buyers comment) they don’t care if this item has 4, 4.5 or even a 3.5 star rating.

Just my opinion though

206 posts
  • Argentina
  • Exclusive Author
SurStudio says

Sure, these are just opinions.

We don’t live in a perfect world, but today we can have a perfect 5 rating.

To answer your question: You can achieve a perfect rating! But you have to work harder and than there are still buyers who simply downrate your item for whatever reason.

there are still buyers who simply downrate your item for whatever reason

That’s why you cannot achieve perfect rating! When you make an average, one rating lower than 5 will destroy the possibility, for ever. And do we have to work harder? Really? People are buying really complex stuff for less than 50 USD with free support plus lifetime updates, and you’re saying that we should work harder? Sorry, I disagree.

They (Envato) even admit that they should be dropping old ratings. Why do they have to release a partial update knowing that something is just wrong or has to be changed. Can’t we just wait a couple of more weeks/months and get it done in the right way?

...if buyers know how the (new) rating works and the can read…
, that might be correct, but this is making things more complicated. Who wants to read a bunch of messages and re learn the meaning of stars, is insane. People see 5 stars and see something that works, and see that cannot be possible rated higher than that, that’s just the best.
5764 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • India
+3 more
VF says

+1. There are hidden gems in the 4 star range. And hidden snakes in the 5 star range :D I believe the efficient items that as of now labeled 4 star (due to averaging 4.4) will get deserved respect. And all the 4.8 and 4.9 items will prove that world isn’t actually filled with perfect round numbers! :D It is “we” who unnecessarily convert fractions into whole with approximations and call ourselves perfect!

5764 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • India
+3 more
VF says

The fact is even buyers aware about this thing. This is the exact reason why breakdown details are requested by authors. We can’t handle these issues using anything more than technical solutions. That’s how the large marketplaces in the internet solve these kind of issues.

206 posts
  • Argentina
  • Exclusive Author
SurStudio says

The fact is even buyers aware about this thing. This is the exact reason why breakdown details are requested by authors. We can’t handle these issues using anything more than technical solutions. That’s how the large marketplaces in the internet solve these kind of issues.

It doesn’t make much sense to me. I prefer the current lousy system. Because it allows me to get the item back on top after a bad rating. Envato admits old ratings should be dropped. So be it. But they should do everything together.

And breaking down is a lazy solution. Ask non 5 stars buyers to explain themselves. They must give reasons, any reason. If all your 1 star ratings have explanations like “I bought this Google Map plugin, but I thought I could use it as calendar too. The author wouldn’t make this for me. I’m very disappointed.”, then there’s no harm. And with time that rating will disappear. And let authors rate buyers too. That would be fair.

3434 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Won a Competition
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+5 more
KrownThemes says

^ I guess that people with 5 stars will complain about the change, while people with 4 stars will be glad :D

by
by
by
by
by
by