• Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
+4 more
Bebel says

good to hear you guys are working on the rating system now. I think the proposed changes seem like a good start in the right direction.

763 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
StudioEtude says

Needless to say, that the research on this issue should take place! But the real change in the pages needs to be done after the account for all the “pros” and “against” ... I believe that we need to introduce compulsory comments rating for the buyers, at least for AJ is important …. I think that the comments are more important than the “stars”. and of course thank you very much for what you listen to, and hear us, authors!

882 posts
  • Australia
  • Community Superstar
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
JBlanks says

Yes I think customers should be required to specify why a negative rating is given – if they’re allowed the option of doing this at all. Why not give the option for positive ratings only – if customers don’t like the track they have the option of a) not buying it and b) not registering a positive rating.

This way individual sales cannot mar the future prospects of good tracks due to one person’s opinion.

I like the proposals being outlined in this thread. The current system is very flawed, and the ideas floated could yield immediate improvement across the site. Sooner they are implemented the better.

426 posts Code is Poetry
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
egemenerd says

I had a new 1 star rating today and I don’t know why?... Perhaps he is having a bad day or his girlfriend left him today… Anyway this rating system is awesome… Please don’t change it :P:)

541 posts Magento Elite & Gravity Maker
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
GravityDept says

@ Justin French — Really glad to hear Envato is moving forward with this, and doing so incrementally (not waiting for one huge release). I’m really pleased that Envato is going to start sending reminders to buyers to rate items.

Here is a link to the feedback and mockups I posted a month ago on ratings: http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/im-not-happy-i-hate-the-rate-system/90284?page=5#749941

Two-way ratings Authors need to be able to receive feedback from buyers more than a simple star count. All users should be able to see who rated them, when, what value, and see written textual comments. Authors should have the ability to reply to written comments if a bug/issue was fixed.

Ideally, you could visit any user’s profile and see their rating history. This will help to identify “bad eggs” from legitimate buyers. Every user needs a “reputation score” like on eBay if we’re truly going to build a rating system the holds weight.

As a current 5 Star author I am completely in support of this change. More transparency is better for the entire marketplace. It’s not impossible to maintain a 5 star rating, and it’s fine that nobody has a perfect 5.0.

1110 posts
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Won a Competition
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Malawi
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
+1 more
chiccosinalo says

this is music to my ears. thank you.

3744 posts
  • Won a Competition
  • Elite Author
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
  • Spain
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+5 more
pezflash says

As a current 5 Star author I am completely in support of this change. More transparency is better for the entire marketplace. It’s not impossible to maintain a 5 star rating, and it’s fine that nobody has a perfect 5.0.

Same here. Completely agree.

1716 posts
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
gbs says

How about adapting a rating system like three options: Positive, Neutral and Negative also? Because it’s difficult for buyer to rate and to understand the difference between 4 and 5 stars and so on, but they do know exactly if it’s OK, good enough, or it’s bad. Just my 2 cents.

184 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Argentina
  • Exclusive Author
SurStudio says

It’s not impossible to maintain a 5 star rating

It’s not impossible, but it’ll be much harder, what’s the point of such thing anyway? It’s hard enough.

and it’s fine that nobody has a perfect 5.0.

Well, that’s a matter of personal opinion. It’s fine, is not fine… Who can say what is fine and what is not? What we can say is this: now is possible, later won’t be possible. The question is: Why would you remove the possibility to have a perfect 5.0? What’s the harm of the perfect 5.0?

541 posts Magento Elite & Gravity Maker
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
GravityDept says

@ SurStudio — It should be very hard to have a five star rating. That’s the whole point. Only authors who go above and beyond in quality and customer support deserve to be singled out. And it is not a flogging punishment to be downgraded to 4.5 stars. That might happen to me with the new rating scale. That’s okay. A more granular star rating is more accurate. Just let that be motivation.

Statistically there shouldn’t be a perfect 5.0 mean. It’s nigh impossible because one non-perfect rating undoes it. That is the definition of a perfect rating. Using a different average like mode or median is just a way to shift the data so you feel better about yourself. In reality nobody will have 5.0 in the long run and a 4.9 does nothing but indicate “practical” perfection.

by
by
by
by
by
by