• Australia
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
pjtops says
http://pjtops.com/app/temp/

After lots of small tweaks, I’m planning to submit this one soon. What do you like about it? What can be improved upon? Any helpful feedback’s appreciated.

457 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Israel
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
virtuti says

Hello, fantastic idea, non perfect execution. The main problem (that what I see) is typography and spacings. Try another font for your blocks (not for logo), try to decrease its size, mind paddings and spacings (for example Resume page, headings sit too tight to text blocks, there is almost no difference between heading size and text size, + same font for both), try to work on the text for portfolio items–it is of small size, full-width, one line text–does not look good.

Also remove thin line under main content, first it sits too tight (5px spacing?), second–no need in it. I would also remove second thin line (above copyright) and once again–see how tiniest copyright information line stuck to the bottom while you gave an upper padding.

And another thing–contact form, work on it, do not leave it as it is, take a look at your Send button, you are agree it was forgotten and abandoned, aren’t you?

I like your arrows which are different on every block, do not remove them, but on Portfolio page they sit awkwardly, work on an arrow placement more carefully, find better placement solution.

And last thing–white line over the whole layout block–either remove it or make it more transparent, it is too white and looks unnecessary here.

Do not submit it yet, take yet a couple of days to make it perfect. Wish you good luck!

101 posts
  • Australia
  • Exclusive Author
pjtops says

Wow! Thanks Virtuti, that’s some very useful feedback.

1977 posts
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Canada
mafloral says

Love it man, now this is the bomb dude. Cool stuff.

Good luck with it.

Cheers

Lester

101 posts
  • Australia
  • Exclusive Author
pjtops says

Love it man, now this is the bomb dude. Cool stuff.

Hey!! Thanks Lester, you’ve got great taste ;)

173 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
kungfu-themes says

I agree with virtuti. I can see you have made some improvements but they are very minor and won’t be enough.

Here are your issues.

-Poor typography, this includes both the header and the body I’m afraid. The blocked header makes it appear un business like and it doesn’t go with the body font.

-Additionally, your h1 and h1 header fonts are not big enough or emphasized enough.

-Strange border around the whole thing. Not quite sure what this is about?

-Very poorly styled icons. They are not crisp and if you look on the right hand side the top of the circles are cut off.

-Portfolio section, not center aligned and confusing choice of pictures.

-Very boring and dark colour scheme. And some of the background tiling images are too busy and distracts the eye.

-Last one, I’m not to sure because this may be a functionality issue, but the inner scroll bar look odd when you switch to tablet/mobile view. Again not to sure about this and this might be a technical thing rather than visual issue. It would look great without the inner scroll bar IMO.

Apart from that, I think if you fix those issues you have a great chance of being accepted as it has great functionality good luck. :)

101 posts
  • Australia
  • Exclusive Author
pjtops says

I agree with virtuti. I can see you have made some improvements but they are very minor and won’t be enough.

Here’s the thing Kung-fu: we just don’t have the same taste . And going from our previous exchanges in this forum, I think it may be getting a bit personal. I’m sorry I wouldn’t accept your PSD, but like I told you before, metro style is not what I’m going for here. I’m genuinely looking for some constructive feedback, yours isn’t. Many times, being a good designer means having a strong concept, believing in it and knowing when to take criticism or advice that’s in line with that concept.

Virtuti gave some great feedback, and I’ve taken most of it on board because I can tell she gets the concept. Lester gets it too, and just loves it. You don’t, and that’s ok. As the old saying goes, different strokes for different folks.

173 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
kungfu-themes says

Hi pjtops.

I don’t think any of my criticism has been personal or non-constructive. I don’t think taste has much to do with this because most of your design issues are basic ones and can be fixed quite easily.

Remember, these are the basic design principles that you will find in articles here on envato such as typography and spacing. Your portfolio section is not center aligned. Do you not agree with this? Your circle icons have the tops cut off. Do you not agree with this?

Your contact page is not styled and one of the boxes is a different length from the others. Do you not agree with this?

If this is personal, then I do apologise in advance.

101 posts
  • Australia
  • Exclusive Author
pjtops says

Remember, these are the basic design principles that you will find in articles here on envato such as typography and spacing. Your portfolio section is not center aligned. Do you not agree with this?

It is left aligned, just like everything else on the page. Is there a design rule that says everything must be centered? Did you notice that some pictures have different heights & widths? That’s intentional, to show the gallery’s flexibility. And what do you mean by “confusing choice of pictures” ?

Your circle icons have the tops cut off. Do you not agree with this?

Those are font-icons, and its been known to happen, depending on whatever browser you are using. I do not agree that they are “Very poorly styled icons”. If you want to be taken seriously, tone down the snarky language.

Your contact page is not styled and one of the boxes is a different length from the others. Do you not agree with this?

I agree with Virtuti, who pointed out the un-styled send button. Did you mention anything about the contact page? Like I said before, Virtutis feedback was constructive, please read it and learn from it if you want to learn how to give helpful feedback. And if you have any hang-ups about our previous exchanges, maybe its a good idea to avoid commenting on my items. When authors start putting each other down ‘just because’, we all loose in the end.

If this is personal, then I do apologise in advance.
Apology accepted, and best of luck with your PSD template.
by
by
by
by
by
by