3524 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
KrownThemes says

Until there is an “in-stock” license, this is probably bad news for CC authors selling items used in TF themes/Template. While I would agree the current EL is way too cheap for in-stock usage, It would be way too impractical to start partnerships with plugin authors if you use several plugins in several templates. If I understand correctly, Lance said that as an exclusive author you cannot selll an item other than on envato, so a “partnership” cannot involve a fixed price right? So that leaves us with the % option, which again I’m not against in terms of rewarding the plugin author, but would be way too impractical to implement with several plugins on several templates.

Yeah, but Lance is wrong about it! What does partnership mean? What it involves?

PARTNERSHIP = Sell the item outside Envato for a certain percentage. It’s the same as selling for a fixed price. You are selling a license outside Envato. So it’s not right either :D

I also agree that the price should be bumped up, but to completely remove this kind of license is pure madness..

273 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
pebas says

^ Mate you can use it, all is clear just check table: http://themeforest.net/licenses Not sure why so many posts about this and confusion. :)

It’s not! :D

Can’t you read the staff posts in here? That check table must be wrong, because Lance confirmed that you are no longer allowed to buy a plugin and incorporate it in a theme.

Than they should fix that table ASAP, at least before announce any changes. :) (that is direct link from Envato Notes too)

+1 Disagree with Extendend license as it is now too.

1312 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+8 more
LGLab says

Until there is an “in-stock” license, this is probably bad news for CC authors selling items used in TF themes/Template. While I would agree the current EL is way too cheap for in-stock usage, It would be way too impractical to start partnerships with plugin authors if you use several plugins in several templates. If I understand correctly, Lance said that as an exclusive author you cannot selll an item other than on envato, so a “partnership” cannot involve a fixed price right? So that leaves us with the % option, which again I’m not against in terms of rewarding the plugin author, but would be way too impractical to implement with several plugins on several templates.

Yeah, but Lance is wrong about it! What does partnership mean? What it involves?

PARTNERSHIP = Sell the item outside Envato for a certain percentage. It’s the same as selling for a fixed price. You are selling a license outside Envato. So it’s not right either :D

I also agree that the price should be bumped up, but to completely remove this kind of license is pure madness..

Well partnership is like you doing WP version of an HTML template to sell on TF, so not outside of envato, and you split earnings between designer/html/wp devs in %. But if you have 10 templates with 5 different plugins in each, that means sending % to 50 people every month, so then you also need to start a partnership with an accountant :D

365 posts
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+7 more
OrangeIdea says

PARTNERSHIP is a very-very bad idea, If i will not be able to purchase “in-stock” license for normal price, i’l just purchse regular license, will hire 1 JS-coder(for example $800) and in 2-3 weeks i will get same product WITH MY OWN CODE AND FUNCTIONS! And will use this product all my life

9 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Located in Europe
+1 more
Welego says

Well, that’s definitely bad news for CC authors and might be as well as TF authors.

If “in-stock” prices would be even x2 of Extended license or any expensive than that, I don’t believe Envato nor authors will increase the profit they make. Envato or authors might increase the profit per sale based however overall I believe sales would decrease.

Like many said, if the items would be more expensive than Extended licenses, than people will look for it elsewhere.

Personally the only reason I was purchasing items in Envato because they were cheap considering the time I should put it to create similar job and extended licenses where just right in the edge for me (x5 times of the regular license price).

Considering the ratio of Regular -> Extended license, if “in-stock” licenses would be more expensive than Extended licenses I believe a lot of people will not use Envato. Instead they will look for a person from different parts of the world who can do the same job even under Extended License prices. If that’s the case why to bother?

I don’t want to offend anyone. It is just my opinion as an author and buyer.

P.S. I will ask my question in another topic.

266 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+5 more
Vasterad says

Personally I’m totally confused because of new licensing. There should be something like “developer license” on CodeCanyon with 15x regular license price but who cares… we don’t know when it will be or even if…

154 posts
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+4 more
MNKY says

PARTNERSHIP is a very-very bad idea, If i will not be able to purchase “in-stock” license for normal price, i’l just purchse regular license, will hire 1 JS-coder(for example $800) and in 2-3 weeks i will get same product WITH MY OWN CODE AND FUNCTIONS! And will use this product all my life

Also you can put it on sale on CC then :D

Seriously, you can’t just wipe out this option without offering any alternative. I personally want to purchase stock-use licenses for adequate price from Envato community rather than spending this money in other place. Now we have no choice and have to look outside envato marketplaces for these products.

501 posts
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Located in Greece
+8 more
steve314 says

Hey Envato! Imho, license descriptions must be enriched with “License Usage Examples” based on the specific marketplace. For example the use of a Videohive item in a Tv-Show or a promotional video, etc.

33 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+2 more
whoathemes says

Again, I’m agree to pay the regular licence every time I use a plugin in my themes just for presentation. If any one of the buyers likes the plugin, they should buy the licence for that plugin. It’s fair…

But these new licences should be respected by all authors and all items, not just the new items. So the old items with integrated plugins should not offer them anymore even they paid for extended licences.

266 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+5 more
Vasterad says

Again, I’m agree to pay the regular licence every time I use a plugin in my themes just for presentation. If any one of the buyers likes the plugin, they should buy the licence for that plugin. It’s fair… But these new licences should be respected by all authors and all items, not just the new items. So the old items with integrated plugins should not offer them anymore even they paid for extended licences.

I’m sure that your theme will gets low rating. If I were in your customer’s shoes I’d be confused. ;)

by
by
by
by
by
by