• Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 1 000 000 - 1 999 999 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Exclusive Author
ait says

Hi guys! Great to see everyone discussing the license updates. I’m so excited about them overall, though they are of course just one phase of a big project. We definitely know we need more individualized licenses and that’s our next port of call. There’s been a lot of discussion about the use of CC items in TF items. This is clearly an important usage, and one which we will have at the top of the list to address next.

Hi Collin, thanks for the message. When can we expect the next phase? Do you have any ETA on that? If we cannot use codecanyon items in our themes we’ll have to build them ourselves. Cheers.

290 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • United States
SchwartzSound says

I want to chime in and say the new license terms are a much hoped for relief for AudioJungle, where the concern for reselling our music in a stock item (where we’d see no benefit of further sales and the source files could be potentially misused/abused) was weighing on us authors.

I certainly understand the TF author concerns over the new license terms, but I wonder if CC authors aren’t secretly happy that their very useful items won’t be able to be taken advantage of anymore in this way sales wise. The 5x price of their extended license is certainly no comparison to the potentially thousands more regular license sales they would see if it was required to license the plugin/slider/etc individually along with a WP theme.

Granted, I recognize it is a lot easier for authors/buyers to link to and purchase a music track separately/individually than it is with something like a plugin or code (especially multiple of them) that must be more carefully integrated into a WP theme and affects its overall functionality. Simply telling a buyer where to license and download the separate jQuery plugin and copy the files to the theme folder may be impractical if not impossible.

I think the best (albeit more involved) solution would be for Envato to interlink it’s marketplaces a bit more, along with more of a shopping cart like checkout. Authors when uploading their items could then specify any integrated items from other marketplaces, and those licenses would be automatically added to the buyers cart. There could be an option for requiring the related items, or not. For instance with a VideoHive AE template relating to a specific AudioJungle music track, rather than simply having a link in their item description of where it can be found, it would be added to the cart, in this case with the option to remove it if not wanted. In the case of a WP theme that relies on several plugins etc., and includes them and their code in the theme, these items would be added to the cart and could not be removed. This way everyone would see the additional revenue of their items and the buyer would be least inconvenienced. This would also promote more inter-market synergy—an incentive and easy option for TF authors to create themes built exclusively with other Envato items (graphics, plugins, etc.), and they could rest assured that all included assets are being licensed appropriately.

Of course, that would pass the cost directly to the customer, which has its pros and cons. Certainly themes with more 3rd party plugins would therefore become more expensive to buyers. But perhaps this is as it should be, and would better balance the marketplace. When you cram a theme with more “no-extra-cost” plugins to add value to the customer, that value is coming out of someone else’s pocket (CC developers). I think customers would understand that a theme with twice as many plugins included may cost a little more, because it has more value.

The alternative to that of course would be a more expensive Stock-Item License as discussed, which authors could opt into, essentially transferring the direct cost to the TF author rather than the customer. I think both should be implemented down the road. This way TF authors would have options, where if they are on a tighter budget they could simply link the CC items (or Graphic River items, i.e. Icons, etc) to their theme, or if they had the cash for the Stock-Item License, could pass the value to their customers. And CC and GR authors would see more fair returns on their successful and well designed items.

1362 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Slovenia
Anps says

There are + and – side. For example, for us if we are taken from us this option we will invest the time to develop our own slider for example. And i guess all the major players on themeforest will do it to and i do not think cc authors want that. A lot of exposure is coming from tf and other market places. But as i sad there are positive sides to this.

100 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • United States
StevenGliebe says

Not allowing Extended licensed assets in themes will actually help Envato transition to full GPL for WordPress themes at some point in the future. ;)

611 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
ChapterThemes says

Hang on – so the new extended license means that people can no longer include certain slider plugins within Wordpress themes? EDIT: Reading on it definitely seems that way… that’s going to be interesting
Keep in mind that this is just for items purchased moving forward. If you purchased a plugin with the old license, that license still applies.

That’s not a fair solution. That means ‘authors’ who already have a licence can keep including that premium plugin in their themes. And others can’t.

There’s definitly something wrong with that.

269 posts New Elite in Town!
  • Won a Competition
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Romania
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
icypixels says

That’s not a fair solution. That means ‘authors’ who already have a licence can keep including that premium plugin in their themes. And others can’t.

That’s actually not true. You could only include a item from CC only one time. For each theme released, you needed to purchase an extended license each time.

611 posts
  • Exclusive Author
ChapterThemes says

That’s actually not true. You could only include a item from CC only one time. For each theme released, you needed to purchase an extended license each time.

Ah thanks for clearing that up. Well in that case, i welcome this new approach very much!

Didn’t like those “Authors” themes anyway just including a bunch of premium things. Nice!

9 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
Welego says

I read around 10 pages. It seems most of the people here agrees on a need for developer / multi-use license option however I believe this should be kept separated from larger stock sale prices / license options on TF.

Considering the general market developer licenses are around 3 to 5 times of single use / domain licenses (this is average). Which actually hits extended license prices for CC (it is 5 times more than single license).

I hope to see developer license option at the rate of extended license ratio (x5 times of the regular license). If not, I believe most of the people will look for alternatives thus decreasing total sales & profit but increasing per sale based profit.

I have 2 questions;

1. Why Envato doesn’t create a poll about licenses, prices, new license options where authors and buyers can vote and see the results anytime they want to (I mean being transparent).

2. Why don’t you let authors to choose some limited option as what would be the ratio of extended license, developer license should be? Such as author can choose x3 times for extended license while author can set up x5 times for developer license while submitting the item. I believe this would make any author happy.

68 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
vazz says
75 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
djwd says

Ok, I read all 16 pages and I think there is definitely something wrong with that, as other mentioned, you simply cannot remove a (very much used) solution, without providing an immediate alternative (in-stock licence). Also splitting such a delicate topic in ‘phases’ doesn’t seem to be a good idea to me (also considering how slow changes happens over here). I don’t know sometimes I have the feeling Envato doesn’t realize they are a huge company and they take action without deep thinking and strategy.

Real life problems (in my case):

• I’m working on a new theme since two months, yesterday I was going to buy and extended license for a slider I wanted to include in it, I postponed this by one day and now I cannot do this anymore. On the other hand, who did it, will have an ‘unfair’ advantage when it will be the time to release the themes. (Not to consider themes already on the marketplace with tons of premium plug-ins included.)

• The partnership thing just does not hold water. First of all, as RubenBastian said, you can’t make distinction between a % based or fixed price partnership. It both cases it would break the exclusitivity rule, and by the way, I would never do something like “ok, 1,5% for you that gave me the social widget, 4.7% for you that gave me the slider…etc.. ” every month, forever.
    It’s simpy unrealistic, time consuming, and I would just go for other solutions, also hurting many CC authors sales.

If I were Envato I would just admit the mistake (everyone does), take a step back and repropose the (welcome) licenses update in a few weeks, with per marketplace solutions, and in a single phase only.

by
by
by
by
by
by