• Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Gold Mo Grower
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+2 more
LanceSnider says

Hum this is getting confusing! So if I want to use something from CC in a theme, do I have to ask the author? Or is this no longer allowed? If it is then how do we prove to the reviewers that we can use it? It’s going to create a lot more work for CC authors and surely they will lose out?

I would suggest to ask an author if he would be such kind and could send a ticket with agreement that he give permission to use his plugin in your theme. Then you can paste ticket ID in message to a reviewer.

Personally I think that new licensing won’t hit in CodeCanyon or ThemeForest authors, because I’m sure that all CodeCanyon authors which sell plugins with Extended License will give permission without complications.

See Collis’ response on the previous page. :)

726 posts
  • Elite Author
  • United Kingdom
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+2 more
josweb says

Hum this is getting confusing! So if I want to use something from CC in a theme, do I have to ask the author? Or is this no longer allowed? If it is then how do we prove to the reviewers that we can use it? It’s going to create a lot more work for CC authors and surely they will lose out?
I would think that their inbox will certainly be fuller!
266 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
Vasterad says

[...] See Collis’ response on the previous page. :)

Me or josweb? :P

726 posts
  • Elite Author
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
+2 more
josweb says

I would suggest to ask an author if he would be such kind and could send a ticket with agreement that he give permission to use his plugin in your theme. Then you can paste ticket ID in message to a reviewer.

Personally I think that new licensing won’t hit in CodeCanyon or ThemeForest authors, because I’m sure that all CodeCanyon authors which sell plugins with Extended License will give permission without complications.
See Collis’ response on the previous page. :)

The reply from Lance came in as I was typing! :)

983 posts It's in the pipeline!
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+2 more
purethemes says

Hey guys, The next step is to look at other types of uses that authors want to sell (and in the case of TF authors – buy) and then address those. We did get to one of these in this phase which is the Tools license which has now been split off into its own complete license.

So for a while at least the use-in-stock has gone, and from the sounds of this discussion so far this is going to mean a lot more informal arrangements with CC authors. I know this was already on the agenda for the licensing team, but we will definitely make sure its top-of-mind for the next phase.

As I mentioned in the post, licensing is surprisingly complicated, and part of that was our old ext licenses. I think this is a big step in the right long term direction for the licenses!

Thanks Collis for clarifying that, I just hope it won’t take too long ;) I get the idea of untangling the licenses and I totally support it, I’m just afraid that it will move some of authors to this “limbo” state where we will not know if we should make some agreements with other authors (which might be tricky, I don’t know how they going to react to this and on what conditions) or just wait till the new licenses arrive.

Personally, I think the more expensive “use-in-stock” license for which authors could opt-in/our separately would be awesome feature and would make it clear for both sides.

Thanks again!

24 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • United States
JaredRitchey says

Yeah it still doesn’t look like I’m getting the right answer here. Maybe I’m tired, been a long day but would it be okay to itemize what I’m doing to see if Envato is for me in the future?

1) If I purchase a stock logo for $29.95 and I modify it for a client website, if that client sells widgets, is it an extended or regular license since his site sells a product?

2) I build Child Themes for Genesis and Woo Themes and a few others that I sell as turnkey products. I don’t sell Genesis because its not mine to sell but I use there theme on my site to show the child themes. Based on what I’m reading, if I sell any work that is for profit or for use in conjunction with a theme on themeforest then its an “extended license”???? Meaning I purchase Karma from you, I build a skin for it with custom CSS, images and the like, sell it as an extension to Karma and ….. what happens?

Last and thank you sincerely for bearing with me.

3) I purchased a theme in HTML, converted it to WordPress and use it on one of my sites that charge for access to photoshop training videos. Which license did I need? Its my site, my changes, my artwork and my videos I just liked the theme and modified it for my use. The theme is NOT part of the training videos I sell.

2075 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Gold Mo Grower
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
+2 more
LanceSnider says

Josweb. Regarding your suggestion, unless we have an actual license, this will need to be between the author and the seller, not the reviewers.
24 posts
  • United States
JaredRitchey says

You are no longer able to buy items from the Envato marketplaces and use them in themes for sale, whether the themes you sell are GPL or not.

I am seriously with you on this because I’m truly concerned about this very thing. I purchase code all the time from other developers and use my own creativity to bring things together. I always figured it was a win win situation as I ALWAYS GIVE CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE. But now, oh crap, I’m a little concerned….

In Collis’ post about the new policy he says

“If you’re an author and want to use another author’s item in your larger stock item (as part of the download) it is still possible to make your own informal direct arrangements with the other author.”
What does this mean, exactly? If we want to include “X” slider plugin in a wordpress theme like 90% of themes have, instead of buying the slider plugin on codecanyon as an extended license we have to contact its author and arrange an amount and license write up outside of themeforest/codecanyon? How will this even be regulated to ensure authors actually have the plugin creator’s permission?
726 posts
  • Elite Author
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
+2 more
josweb says

Josweb. Regarding your suggestion, unless we have an actual license, this will need to be between the author and the seller, not the reviewers.

I understand Lance, but if it’s no longer allowed the reviewers will need to see some kind of agreement/ license between the two parties. For the time being i’ll stick with FlexSlider! :)

24 posts
  • United States
JaredRitchey says

There is a really easy way to solve this I think. Maybe Envato could entertain the idea of a “Developers License” in the future. It seems to be the most logical avenue to take. A royalty free developers license would articulate things better. I can’t count how many times I’ve been in forums where people literally believe “as I did” that if you purchase an extended license that you could use it in your commercial efforts.

by
by
by
by
by
by