• United States
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
DesignerThemes says

When I first saw this licensing post I was hoping part of the changes would be the pricing structure.

We’ve had thousands of sales on Themeforest and never have we had anyone purchase an Extended License, yet we know for a fact that some users will use the Regular License copy on more than one site.

Themeforest multiplies the Regular License by 50 to set the Extended License. The Extended License is just too high and I would guess that the 50x price increase is actually deterring buyers from even considering it.

For all other Envato marketplaces this ranges from only 2x-15x. What was the reasoning for these numbers? I’ve listed below, the current marketplace Regular to Extended License multipliers:

• activeden = 2x
  • 3docean = 2x
  • audiojungle = 5x
  • photodune = 8x
  • videohive = 10x
  • graphicriver = 15x
  • themeforest = 50x

I suggest the Themeforest Extended License be set at only 5x the Regular.

So for a $45 item, the Extended License would cost $225. This is a much more realistic option for freelancers wanting to use the template on multiple sites. I believe most sellers would agree and we all would see an increase in revenue per template created.

2075 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Gold Mo Grower
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+2 more
LanceSnider says

1) If I purchase a stock logo for $29.95 and I modify it for a client website, if that client sells widgets, is it an extended or regular license since his site sells a product?
The logo license is actually different from the new ones we launched today. That one is the same as it was before. As long as it’s one company, you can use it as much as you want. Neither you, nor your client would need to purchase a new license each time the logo showed up on business cards, flyers, websites, etc.
2) I build Child Themes for Genesis and Woo Themes and a few others that I sell as turnkey products. I don’t sell Genesis because its not mine to sell but I use there theme on my site to show the child themes. Based on what I’m reading, if I sell any work that is for profit or for use in conjunction with a theme on themeforest then its an “extended license”???? Meaning I purchase Karma from you, I build a skin for it with custom CSS, images and the like, sell it as an extension to Karma and ….. what happens?

You just couldn’t modify and resell the theme itself, even if you modify it. You actually couldn’t do that with the old license either without getting permission from the author. Please let me know if I’ve misunderstood your question.

3) I purchased a theme in HTML, converted it to WordPress and use it on one of my sites that charge for access to photoshop training videos. Which license did I need? Its my site, my changes, my artwork and my videos I just liked the theme and modified it for my use. The theme is NOT part of the training videos I sell.
So basically your site is a store. Is that correct? In that case, the regular license is fine. The EL is only for products that are going to be sold. For example, if you used an image in a game for sale. The fact that your site sells something commercially doesn’t necessarily make it so that you’d need the extended license.
2075 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Gold Mo Grower
+2 more
LanceSnider says

There is a really easy way to solve this I think. Maybe Envato could entertain the idea of a “Developers License” in the future. It seems to be the most logical avenue to take. A royalty free developers license would articulate things better. I can’t count how many times I’ve been in forums where people literally believe “as I did” that if you purchase an extended license that you could use it in your commercial efforts.
As long as authors could opt out and it had it’s own pricing structure, this seems like a good idea. We’ll definitely explore this.
24 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • United States
JaredRitchey says

Lance, thanks a billion, you clarified it for me. I was sitting here sweating bullets thinking I’m a license violator and was about to go into several levels of depression.

That makes perfect sense now.

DesignerThemes What DesignerThemes themes suggests is somewhat correct for people I’ve worked with. Extended license for me at $2,000 isn’t horrific but at that price, it would be more befitting of a developers license. I purchase for example a developers license from “MySiteMyWay” and “WPTouch Pro”, both allow me unlimited use for my clients.

2075 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Gold Mo Grower
+2 more
LanceSnider says

So for a $45 item, the Extended License would cost $225. This is a much more realistic option for freelancers wanting to use the template on multiple sites. I believe most sellers would agree and we all would see an increase in revenue per template created.
That’s actually not what the extended license was or is for. Neither the old or new licenses allow for use on more than one site. Check out the Notes post for more details on what you can and can’t do with the licenses. http://notes.envato.com/news/marketplace-license-upgrade/
19 posts
  • United States
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
DesignerThemes says

That’s actually not what the extended license was or is for. Neither the old or new licenses allow for use on more than one site. Check out the Notes post for more details on what you can and can’t do with the licenses. http://notes.envato.com/news/marketplace-license-upgrade/

Well, that is how pretty much every other theme shop sells their items.

24 posts
  • United States
JaredRitchey says

You have no idea how many people actually didn’t know that. I’m one of them. I was smart though early on and had a gut feeling about this so I contacted the vendor and made a purchase through them. This is why I adamantly suggest another type of license, a “Developers License” as another selling point here on Envato.

2075 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Gold Mo Grower
+2 more
LanceSnider says

I really like the idea of a multi-use license. We’ll definitely consider it for the next phase. :)

24 posts
  • United States
JaredRitchey says

I really like the idea of a multi-use license. We’ll definitely consider it for the next phase. :)

Excellent Lance and thanks for your patience answering my questions. Greatly appreciated. Peace :)

185 posts I'm a Husky Designer
  • Won a Competition
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
designcrumbs says

Great timing guys. As some of you are aware, I put up a post today that talks about WordPress, Envato, and GPL: http://www.designcrumbs.com/automatically-blackballed

Any chance we’ll be seeing an option for WP themes to be 100% GPL?

by
by
by
by
by
by