1029 posts It's in the pipeline!
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+7 more
purethemes says

I really like the idea of a multi-use license. We’ll definitely consider it for the next phase. :)

Is there any deadline for next phase? I understand it’s not easy task to deal with it, but I’d just like to know how long we will have to wait for it. Cheers

5389 posts The Dude Abides
  • Located in United States
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+9 more
CodingJack says

Kudos to Lance, Collis and Envato for improving the licensing :)

It looks like there’s a lot of concern over stock usage, and I think someone said earlier that most CC authors will just give permission. This is a good point, and as a result I think we should consider requiring a stock-to-stock license in the future, regardless of permission.

If multi-use licenses are added next that will be awesome :)

82 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+7 more
mikemcalister says

Well done! Glad to see the licenses getting cleaned up.

I agree with DesignerThemes about the price of the Extended License. No one buys the Extended License for $2000+ when they know they can get away with a Single License and just use the product as many times as they’d like. We’ve all seen this happen to our items. The massive price difference is encouraging the Single License, even when the buyer should be acquiring an Extended License.

However, if that price was a little more realistic (along the lines of industry standard ‘developer licenses’), I think we would all see an increase in responsible purchases of the Extended License. It would instantly create a much more dynamic pricing option for buyers to consider.

Maybe something like this is being rolled out with the item-specific licenses?

2075 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+7 more
LanceSnider says

I agree with DesignerThemes about the price of the Extended License. No one buys the Extended License for $2000+ when they know they can get away with a Single License and just use the product as many times as they’d like. We’ve all seen this happen to our items. The massive price difference is encouraging the Single License, even when the buyer should be acquiring an Extended License.

However, if that price was a little more realistic (along the lines of industry standard ‘developer licenses’), I think we would all see an increase in responsible purchases of the Extended License. It would instantly create a much more dynamic pricing option for buyers to consider.

That’s actually not what the extended license was or is for. Neither the old or new licenses allow for use on more than one site. Check out the Notes post for more details on what you can and can’t do with the licenses. http://notes.envato.com/news/marketplace-license-upgrade/.

That said, it’s definitely something we’ll consider for the next phase. :)

By the way, there’s no timeline yet for the next phase.

2075 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
+7 more
LanceSnider says

Great timing guys. As some of you are aware, I put up a post today that talks about WordPress, Envato, and GPL: http://www.designcrumbs.com/automatically-blackballed Any chance we’ll be seeing an option for WP themes to be 100% GPL?
That is a great question. :) We’re discussing this internally and we’ll get back to you soon. That said, it’s a big enough question that it’s probably not going to be in this particular thread. :)
24 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
JaredRitchey says

I guarantee I’d buy a multi site license as would most and would not hesitate with a developers license either. I purchase for flexibility which is why I’ve been contacting the vendors for special licenses. Ditto on multisite and developer pricing options.

82 posts
+7 more
mikemcalister says

Interesting and good to know. I’m not surprised that no one knows this, so I’m glad it’s finally all getting cleared up.

Maybe that’s why no one buys the Extended License! No one knows what it is or how they can/should use it. Buyers are familiar with the Developer license from every other theme shop, and it would integrate well into ThemeForest.

203 posts I'm a Husky Designer
+6 more
designcrumbs says

Interesting and good to know. I’m not surprised that no one knows this, so I’m glad it’s finally all getting cleared up. Maybe that’s why no one buys the Extended License! No one knows what it is or how they can/should use it. Buyers are familiar with the Developer license from every other theme shop, and it would integrate well into ThemeForest.

Agreed. A dev license for 3x-5x the cost of the theme would likely convert a lot more sales.

24 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
JaredRitchey says

Interesting and good to know. I’m not surprised that no one knows this, so I’m glad it’s finally all getting cleared up. Maybe that’s why no one buys the Extended License! No one knows what it is or how they can/should use it. Buyers are familiar with the Developer license from every other theme shop, and it would integrate well into ThemeForest.
Agreed. A dev license for 3x-5x the cost of the theme would likely convert a lot more sales.

Sales increase? You are right. Hell yes it would increase sales! I’m not shy about buying developers licenses, which is why I purchased one from Woo Themes and a handful of others. Given the fact that there are a bunch of theme frameworks out there on GitHub and such, a developers license could easily be sold for people seeking this type of licensing. I could pay $45 but would happily pay $245 or even $495 for a developers license. This is how a friend of mine sells WPRealty which is expensive at $500 but can be used on unlimited Real Estate sites and it has its own RETS feed tools. Thats the reason we licensed it the way we did. For developers!

3 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
minute says

I think as a buyer, these changes make Envato products cost prohibitive. I’m an app developer, and I’m constantly browsing the User Interfaces section of Graphic River for interesting app templates for mobile apps. Now I can no longer use them for apps that I sell unless I pay the pricey extended license. Keep in mind – some UI templates don’t even have the option of extended licenses.

by
by
by
by
by
by