• Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
+1 more
doru says

Lance, didn’t have and don’t have time to read the entire thread(s) following these changes in past days. Can you summarize for me the following;

Licenses are being pursued by Envato as;

Regular, Extended, Developer and Tools is that correct?

I think separating developer from extended is a real smart move. I can’t imagine how the level of sales will collapse if those options aren’t explored.

there is no such thing as “developer license”

you can find all the license and their definitions here:

http://themeforest.net/licenses

to be more precise if you look at the table on the licenses page, last line refers to a “developer license”. Is clearly stated you can’t use any of the items under this type of license.

24 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • United States
JaredRitchey says

there is no such thing as “developer license” you can find all the license and their definitions here: http://themeforest.net/licenses to be more precise if you look at the table on the licenses page, last line refers to a “developer license”. Is clearly stated you can’t use any of the items under this type of license.

Right, there was discussion there might eventually be a developers license.

5 posts
  • Australia
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
PixyMisa says

The terms regarding using ThemeForest and CodeCanyon items for web applications are unclear at best.

If I develop a web application and want to sell it, can I use ThemeForest and CodeCanyon items – with an extended license – in my product?

If I develop a web application and want to provide it as a hosted service, can I use ThemeForest and CodeCanyon items – with an extended license – in my product?

If I develop a web application and sell it, and offer hosting as a paid option, can I do that?

And if I can do one of these but not others, what’s the rationale for that?

And if I can’t, the whole marketplace becomes worthless to me. I’m really not happy about this notion of forbidding entire classes of application overnight.

5 posts
  • Australia
PixyMisa says

And, I thought I was confused before. I just re-read the license summary page.

If I buy a standard license, and give my web application away, that’s okay?

If I give the application away, and offer hosting as a paid service, is that okay or not, and why?

Headache now. :confusedsad:

5 posts
  • Australia
PixyMisa says

And as a final question….

What if I offer a free hosted service? Because that is what I actually do at the moment. And I mean totally free – no ads, no donations, everything comes out of my own pocket.

I’d like the option to take it commercial at some point, but right now it’s all free at every level. What license (if any) supports that use case? (The free part, not the hypothetical future commercial part.)

90 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • South Africa
Net-Labs says

I finally got time to read through the pages, and it’s great and transparent. I Think i’ll send me bank for lessons, after reading through some of their stuff this weekend, I’m worried that I might be banking with the Mafia.

Compliments to all that worked very hard to get this rolled out, and I suppose commiserations to all those that need to get everyone’s questions answered.

One part that worries me is the following:

“You can make any number of copies of the single End Product, as long as the End Product is distributed for Free.”

This implies that i can give all my buddies copies of the theme as long as i do not charge them for it, and they can keep on distributing ad infinitum on the same basis. While it’s actually true for the php part of my WordPress themes, it is not so with the javascript parts that I create with the theme, as well as the artwork.

In my eyes this negates the purpose of the split licence, then we can just call it GPL and send Jake of to WordCamp.

Regards AJ

24 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • United States
JaredRitchey says

I have no idea why the idea or concept of a developers license is so complex to grasp.

5 posts
  • Australia
PixyMisa says

I have no idea why the idea or concept of a developers license is so complex to grasp.

A developers license is precisely what seems to be needed here, but Envato have removed the license terms that were serving that purpose without creating a new license to take their place – and without any notice. It’s no wonder people are confused and upset.

288 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • United States
SchwartzSound says

Hey Lance, just some minor wording and usability suggestions for the License FAQ page:

1) Under the first question under “What is a single application?” section, similarly titled “What is a single application?”, the example text states:

”...If you want to create a second website from the same theme, please purchase another license.”

I suggest changing “please” to “you must”. All the other text in the license is in clear absolutes, and while I appreciate the polite wording, I think it would be better to not potentially confuse buyers as if this were purely a “request” as opposed to a legal requirement.

2) It would be nice to have an “expand all” button for each of the question sections (or entire page). When searching the page for terms/words, they remain obscured and difficult to locate without having to manually expand every single question.

6763 posts
  • Italy
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+1 more
doru says

”...If you want to create a second website from the same theme, please purchase another license.” I suggest changing “please” to “you must”. All the other text in the license is in clear absolutes, and while I appreciate the polite wording, I think it would be better to not potentially confuse buyers as if this were purely a “request” as opposed to a legal requirement.

I’m starting to have doubts that those licenses are written by a legal team. No sane lawyer will use “please” in a legal document. Legal document are more like: “you do this and I will slit your throat”

by
by
by
by
by
by