507 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
steve314 says

Be sure to check out the FAQs. TV and film always require an extended license.

This information should appear when someone hits the “details” link in Videohive and Audiojungle. But instead, all examples are related to flyer templates & websites but not videos or tv-shows… ;)

2009 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+8 more
matsteiner Envato team says

Be sure to check out the FAQs. TV and film always require an extended license.

Oh, ok great, thanks a lot!

3748 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
+9 more
pezflash says

... But instead, all examples are related to flyer templates & websites but not videos or tv-shows… ;)

It’s obvious that we won’t have license system exclusive for each marketplace, at least in short term, but at least we must have license explaining pages for each marketplace, with concrete examples. Trying to explain the Themeforest extended license using magazine, audio tracks and book covers examples makes non sense.

365 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+7 more
OrangeIdea says

When the price will be reduced for TF Extended License? Or there is no such thing in plans?

no-thumbnail
Knights-Templates Recent Posts Threads Started
2 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
Knights-Templates says

Hi, I mentioned this on the other discussion but would just like to clarify on this one.

I really think the solution to all this is on the purchasing page for any product. (ie a product that comes with extras designed by others who deserve recognition and money)

If I make a theme that uses three selected sliders, images and background music etc., the customer can select which slider to include, or all three. Similar extra’s for images and sounds (and even demo data) increase the price accordingly.

The author has to state which items are included when submitting to Envato, and this reflects on the payment page. Maybe a $12 slider would be $8 extra on the final price.

If the theme needs a piece of code, image or sound essential to that theme, then that is built into the calculation already for the theme price ($40 plus $5) and everytime that theme sells for $45, Envato credit both authors for their respective amounts.

This wouldn’t take too much administration, and each theme generates enough value to make it worthwhile placing optional extra’s – which could generate more money!

These ‘Extended Licenses’ are a can of worms eh! Allowing another developer to take your work and reuse and resell it multiple times can feel demoralising, especially when you continually develop and improve your work – it is essentially a different product 12 months later. Much better to sell your work each time as a one-off that can only be used for one client on one website, with a discount tier for future purchases of the same item.

30 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Located in Austria
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
SiGa says

Well the new license terms didn´t make things easier or clearer. Not at all. I felt the NEED to add that here… :P

Quote: “At this stage we’re still working with a one-size-fits-all system, which every day it becomes more clear that it’s not adequate. With this phase done, we have a much more solid base to build on top of. The licenses are constantly evolving and improving and though we’re not done, I believe these are a big step in the right direction.”

So I buy an item with a non adequate license now and may wait and be surprised how it turns out afterwards? Wonderful.

Question: If I buy brushes or styles, for example, why can´t they be used to create a logo – not even with an extended license (IF I got that right)? Would have thought that would be covered with that one? Makes them partly useless for me. Got to think about buying elsewhere now….

2075 posts
+7 more
LanceSnider says

Question: If I buy brushes or styles, for example, why can´t they be used to create a logo – not even with an extended license (IF I got that right)? Would have thought that would be covered with that one? Makes them partly useless for me. Got to think about buying elsewhere now….
The license for brushes is the Tools license, not the regular or extended. The rules for tools haven’t actually changed. They just got moved to a separate license to make things less confusing.
30 posts
  • Located in Austria
SiGa says

The license for brushes is the Tools license, not the regular or extended. The rules for tools haven’t actually changed. They just got moved to a separate license to make things less confusing.
Many thanks for the explanation, LanceSnider! I think there should be a link added right beside the items (tools) in question – right now, when I click on “regular” or “extended license” I won´t easily find any hint that there is another special license applying to that item. Which isn´t less confusing, if you ask me… My two cents: Don´t make it too hard for people who are willing to respect a license and spend their money here to find and understand the rules. I think all the related links and a short explanation of the special terms for the item should be right beside the item description.
2075 posts
+7 more
LanceSnider says

Many thanks for the explanation, LanceSnider! I think there should be a link added right beside the items (tools) in question – right now, when I click on “regular” or “extended license” I won´t easily find any hint that there is another special license applying to that item. Which isn´t less confusing, if you ask me… My two cents: Don´t make it too hard for people who are willing to respect a license and spend their money here to find and understand the rules. I think all the related links and a short explanation of the special terms for the item should be right beside the item description.

We felt that it would be confusing to have a link to the tools license from items that don’t have a tools license. If you go to brushes or any other tool, there’s a link right to the license right next to the price.

30 posts
  • Located in Austria
SiGa says

Ok, maybe it´s just me and my English getting confused when I read licenses… ;) There are actually many parts I just don´t understand.

May I extend that first question? I stumbled upon that after the licenses where changed and I don´t know if that logo-part was in there before: So if I buy, let´s say, a set of leaf brushes, I can use one of those brushes as part of a logo. If I buy a set of leaf graphics or vectors or an isolated object, I can´t, no matter what license I choose? Is the reason for that only the fact that I can install the brushes (tools) or is there another? Trying to understand why just the tools are allowed for the use in logos, as it seems… I´d love to be prooved wrong here again. :)

by
by
by
by
by
by