• Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Beta Tester
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Germany
+3 more
Creattive says

I want to chime in and say the new license terms are a much hoped for relief for AudioJungle, where the concern for reselling our music in a stock item (where we’d see no benefit of further sales and the source files could be potentially misused/abused) was weighing on us authors.

I certainly understand the TF author concerns over the new license terms, but I wonder if CC authors aren’t secretly happy that their very useful items won’t be able to be taken advantage of anymore in this way sales wise. The 5x price of their extended license is certainly no comparison to the potentially thousands more regular license sales they would see if it was required to license the plugin/slider/etc individually along with a WP theme.

Granted, I recognize it is a lot easier for authors/buyers to link to and purchase a music track separately/individually than it is with something like a plugin or code (especially multiple of them) that must be more carefully integrated into a WP theme and affects its overall functionality. Simply telling a buyer where to license and download the separate jQuery plugin and copy the files to the theme folder may be impractical if not impossible.

I think the best (albeit more involved) solution would be for Envato to interlink it’s marketplaces a bit more, along with more of a shopping cart like checkout. Authors when uploading their items could then specify any integrated items from other marketplaces, and those licenses would be automatically added to the buyers cart. There could be an option for requiring the related items, or not. For instance with a VideoHive AE template relating to a specific AudioJungle music track, rather than simply having a link in their item description of where it can be found, it would be added to the cart, in this case with the option to remove it if not wanted. In the case of a WP theme that relies on several plugins etc., and includes them and their code in the theme, these items would be added to the cart and could not be removed. This way everyone would see the additional revenue of their items and the buyer would be least inconvenienced. This would also promote more inter-market synergy—an incentive and easy option for TF authors to create themes built exclusively with other Envato items (graphics, plugins, etc.), and they could rest assured that all included assets are being licensed appropriately.

Of course, that would pass the cost directly to the customer, which has its pros and cons. Certainly themes with more 3rd party plugins would therefore become more expensive to buyers. But perhaps this is as it should be, and would better balance the marketplace. When you cram a theme with more “no-extra-cost” plugins to add value to the customer, that value is coming out of someone else’s pocket (CC developers). I think customers would understand that a theme with twice as many plugins included may cost a little more, because it has more value.

The alternative to that of course would be a more expensive Stock-Item License as discussed, which authors could opt into, essentially transferring the direct cost to the TF author rather than the customer. I think both should be implemented down the road. This way TF authors would have options, where if they are on a tighter budget they could simply link the CC items (or Graphic River items, i.e. Icons, etc) to their theme, or if they had the cash for the Stock-Item License, could pass the value to their customers. And CC and GR authors would see more fair returns on their successful and well designed items.

This idea is so great, its so sad this goes under in this thread because every tf author just “cannot believe it”

203 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
biyanpasau says

Well…if that so, I will give more attention to another free plugin for my theme.

911 posts Never trust a ballerina with a moustache
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Australia
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Exclusive Author
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+1 more
Carmen says

Hi guys,

Collis has written another Notes post to address some of the issues expressed here. Please read through and give us any more feedback you may have. Thank you!

688 posts
  • Costa Rica
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
cooledition says

so i cant not longer include stock graphics that i bought from graphicriver or photos from photodune in my print templates?

well, thats sad, i will spend my money in other stock sites then. Good Job Envato, Good Job.

This is how i see it. In the past, extended license was so expensive so people never purchased things with extended license, specially in the print templates category in GR. And now, it is still expensive, but now it is also useless.

Im totally sure that people who purchased graphics with extended license from Graphicriver was to include them in their lets says flyers.

Now why would i need a extended license from graphics in Graphicriver? they are useless now…

3439 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+5 more
KrownThemes says
Collis: In summary, an author can give a separate permission to another author to use their item in another stock item, under the extended license. What do you think? If you’re interested in using CodeCanyon items in themes, does this solve things for you?

Thank you Collis! :)

It looks like there is nothing more powerful than the voice of an angry mob :D back to work now..

363 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
+2 more
OrangeIdea says

Collis: In summary, an author can give a separate permission to another author to use their item in another stock item, under the extended license. What do you think? If you’re interested in using CodeCanyon items in themes, does this solve things for you?

Thank you Collis! :)

It looks like there is nothing more powerful than an angry mob :D

Great news for now!

7192 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Beta Tester
+1 more
doru says

However, I feel like the conversation here is becoming less constructive and dominated by a few people, rather than giving everyone the opportunity to ask a variety of questions.

You know, everyone is allowed to post in the thread. I see no one around here who doesn’t let people to speak freely and ask questions. Also there are a lot of members, so the thread gets huge.

I understand the staff is overwhelmed with all the replies they need to read, but what did you expect? I think is no surprise that any change made by envato will make many people to express their opinion and give you suggestions.

People raised some problems that matters to them. Maybe envato should listen. Personally I don’t care about what licenses say, if in the end the only one enforcing them is me, keeping an eye on those file sharing website and sending DMCA if one of my items pop up. Not that this resolve anything.

I frankly don’t understand why this thread was open. You get feedback, looks like you don’t like it.

5311 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+5 more
CodingJack says
Exclusive CodeCanyon authors have asked whether it would breach their exclusivity to give permissions for their items to be used in stock. If you’re an exclusive author, you can give a permission as long as the second stock item is only being sold on an Envato Marketplace. That way, your item is still exclusive to the Envato Marketplaces.

Makes sense. Thanks Collis :)

7192 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Beta Tester
+1 more
doru says

I remember one year ago, when the license had been changed, the rule was that if you want to include some other author item in your item, inside the zip, you need to “buy extended license” + “get permission for that author” It was clearly stated in the license legal text. At some point this got changed and “get permission for that author” was removed. I don’t know when the change had been made, but I found out about it from a random discussion on the forum.

Anyway. Now looks like the same thing is proposed as a solution.

We are running in circles?

1999 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
+4 more
bitfade says
If you’re an exclusive author, you can give a permission as long as the second stock item is only being sold on an Envato Marketplace.

it doesn’t make sense to me.

Exclusivity is on a per file basis so yes, as long as the files are completely different, you could sell one here and one on your site.

We can upload a jquery slider and its wordpress plugin as separate files.

The same slider can be included in multiple templates, as long as they use different designs, and uploaded multiple times on TF. Each of them can be converted in a wordpress/joomla/opencart/whatever theme and uploaded again as a separate item.

Since Envato doesn’t allow the same file to be uploaded multiple times, it goes that all the above must be considered different products, even if they share a common part.

As such, there won’t be any breach of the exclusive author agreement by selling those items elsewhere nor by making private agreement outside Envato involving resale/redistribute rights of our own code as long as the end product can be uploaded as a different product here.

by
by
by
by
by
by