11 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
yourwebheroes says

Hello everyone, really happy to join the envanto community. I am a web developer and I am currently developing my first template for themeforest using the great zurb fountation framework.

I have done all the preperation and now need to decide which will be my first theme. There are of course several ideas (portfolio, portal, university, band website etc) but it seems that portfolio websites sell more. Definetely in the future I want to try more things but do you think a portfolio website is “safer”?

Any advice would be very welcome!

894 posts
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
infuse01 says

Hi and welcome to the forest,

to be honest I would answer your question with: “No, not anymore”. In my opinion everything does down into niches again because the market is already overflood with portfolio themes. I understand that such type of theme/template would be a good warm up but I saw recently some portfolio themes rejected because they were too generic.

Of course if you’re having really an outstanding idea for a portfolio theme which takes you appart from the rest, then please ignore my statement above. But the standard About, Blog, Sortable Portfolio with Lightbox and a Contact Form are too widely spreaden.

Anyway, I wish you the best with your decision and your project. Good Luck

11 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
yourwebheroes says

Yes that was my idea exactly – Of course I have some ideas how to make it stand out but yet it is very common. On the other hand looking at the top selling stuff they are mostly portfolios which made me think maybe will be a good warm up. Will give it some more thought and decide tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice!

122 posts
  • Exclusive Author
BrianHermelijn says

Yes that was my idea exactly – Of course I have some ideas how to make it stand out but yet it is very common. On the other hand looking at the top selling stuff they are mostly portfolios which made me think maybe will be a good warm up. Will give it some more thought and decide tomorrow. Thanks for the advice!

Another thing that you might be able to do is look at the current designs and see what they offer after that come up with a different idea for your design. Although most buyers like the common/standard way (human nature) but even so you could implement the standard way and a couple of other new ideas.

Have fun creating themes, mate! ;)

490 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
wopethemes says

portfolio is too much theme for now . I think the good type theme for now is branding & company.

by
by
by
by
by
by