• Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
+1 more
PixelBin says

I’m making a photography portfolio theme for ThemeForest, and I was wondering if any buyers would like to suggest things they would like to see.

This is my first time making a theme directed to photographers, so I’m not sure which features I should include, and which I should leave out.

If anyone has created a successful photography theme in the past, and wouldn’t mind sharing features that the buyers liked, I would greatly appreciate it.

146 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Netherlands
0703 says

i was drawing some photographs portfolios lately and i was adding beside category a special footer- or in other words – a section for all kinds of stockgalleries banners or logos.

for me the content is the most eyecatching part of the design and so i would go for a singlepage and sinlge picture design. the trend still goes to dark and black pages but maybe you have time enough to make a summer-edition with a style switcher too.

my research and the mighty google guided me to the “simpleviewer” if you dont wanna use the now standard jquery scripts.

1478 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
+1 more
PixelBin says

I have a great design (in my opinion) in mind, which is why I’m asking for additional features because I have room to add them. ;)

382 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
blabus says

You can look at my photography template if you’d like. Not exactly a best seller, but you might get ideas. :)

(Search for “Focal Photo Gallery”; I don’t think I’m allowed to post the link)

1478 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
+1 more
PixelBin says

Yeah, I looked at it already. ;)

I looked at pretty much every photography theme ThemeForest has to offer. I didn’t know there was such a shortage of them.

922 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 1 000 000 - 1 999 999 dollars
  • Power Elite Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Won a Competition
+8 more
MDNW says

I created a few pseudo photography themes so far:

Atlantica

Dark Atlantica

Pacifica .

So far they’ve sold super well – the key points are:

1. Treat images as images – Most current themes treat images as “add-ons” to posts, which is great, but pretty much defines the usage so that each image requires text to go along with it, which isn’t the case. This makes sense for blog-centric users who always have text with images, but it makes no sense for photographers that just want a gallery of thumbs that link to big images.

2. Allow images to be BIG if users want. Setup a framework that allows users to give images 100% width in one form or another. Forcing images to be always be just 200×200 blocks next to a bunch of text doesn’t work for image-centric users like photographers and designers.

3. Make it easy to update. Most photographers aren’t coders. The easier it is to update, the more people will adopt the theme quickly, requiring less support (and resulting in happier users).

I have a couple more “portfolio/photography” based themes coming out soon, which take dramatically different approaches to layout (Atlantica and Pacifica are both built on the same framework as you can see). Ultimately though, you want to think, what exactly does a photographer want from a website? Typically they want the focus put on images, with some space to have an About Page, a Contact Page, and possibly a blog.

I hope this helps ya out. Cheers!

by
by
by
by
by
by