1036 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+9 more
Pixelworkshop says

Hi there,

I’ve been working on a PSD theme last 2 weeks but got it rejected twice and now I really don’t see what’s wrong…

Home page Portfolio page About page Contact page

Is the big title on the home page totally wrong ? Or the typo ?

Thanks a lot for your help!

6 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
mandolinplaya says

Don’t worry, it’s not just you. I feel I have some pretty nice designs and they get rejected all the time. It’s quite ridiculous in my opinion for themes starting @ $3. Makes no sense.

1036 posts
+9 more
Pixelworkshop says

Yes, I have absolutely no problem with rejections, but I have no idea about how to improve it. The main comment was “this theme is almost ready for the site templates category” but I’d prefer to work on the PSD before coding.

I began “playing” with Photoshop 3 months ago and I know that I still have a lot to learn…

1036 posts
+9 more
Pixelworkshop says

Any idea ?

56 posts
  • Located in United Kingdom
lukadadiani says

Looks good to me!

1036 posts
+9 more
Pixelworkshop says

Thank you :)

I understood that for the PSD category, the quality standards are really high, but what is missing to reach the requirements ? I’ve used the 960 grid, tried to space everything properly, but there’s still something wrong…

38 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Germany
iKreateIt says

Since I got the “almost ready for Site Category, code it and submit it there” rejection too, can someone elaborate on what exactly that means?

Really just coding it up and submitting? ‘Almost ready’ is pretty vague and smells like the next rejection.

(Sorry for highjacking the thread, but maybe that’s of interest to you too, keliah)

As for the feedback to your layout: I like it, it has some non-standard elements (especially the font of the header) that make it stand out.

The only issue I’d have is with the home page. The featured items just below the header somehow seem a little lost to me. On all the other pages, you have a horizontal line separating the logo and and the content. Maybe you should somehow make clearer that the featured items are a group of their own? Giving it a very very very slight background that differs from the page background? Really subtle, so it doesn’t destroy the overall layout, but groups the items on the page visually more appealing.

In any case, don’t give up. I’m trying to get my foot in the door here as well. If this layout is not accepted, put it aside for a while and try something different.

1036 posts
+9 more
Pixelworkshop says

@iKreatelt

Thanks a lot for this constructive feedback, I’ll think about your comments! Yes I was also thinking about the content background, I’ll try to give it some depth…

And your question about the reviewing process is interesting, I submitted my item twice but got no feedback about the PSD (and the second time, the reviewer asked opinions to other reviewers).

I don’t want to give up, I have a lot of ideas but need to learn more Photoshop :)

Good luck iKreatelt !

88 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
Gyro says
Since I got the “almost ready for Site Category, code it and submit it there” rejection too, can someone elaborate on what exactly that means?

Really just coding it up and submitting? ‘Almost ready’ is pretty vague and smells like the next rejection.

When it comes to aesthetic requirement, HTML templates are more lenient when compared with PSD templates. Thus a design that is not quite good enough to enter the PSD templates category will be able to enter HTML templates. However my advice would be, getting it accepted into PSD templates would probably mean better sales.

@Keliah: I think you could do better with the background. There’s nothing really… pulling the page together. Too much spacing in the top menu and too little detail for example. You need to work on the details alot. If i were you, I’d swap out the giant logo and put it somewhere else, replace it with a slider. Firstly it’s not quite practical. Not every company has a logo of the same dimensions / design type (for example some might be square), this limits your template sales. In comparison, something like a slider would be far more practical, and if the client likes this sort of design (with the logo as a header), they can do it as well.

814 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Contributed a free file of the month
+3 more
rvision_ says

Contrast is so low, I can’t see the top menu

by
by
by
by