52 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Netherlands
jawes says

After my previous discussion on this forum about being ripped off I realize that I was posting out of frustration of the fact that an author did not keep up with good entrepreneurs standards. Emotion is not a good thing to be objective!

I have learned a lot from this post. I will not go to refrase any of what I have posted there. Today I came across a blogpost which made me feel to share. It is in no way to judge anyone here but a reminder of what entrepreneurship should be!

http://corymiller.com/its-time-for-a-new-set-of-rules-for-entrepreneurs/
52 posts
  • Located in Netherlands
jawes says

Also this blogpost from Cory Miller is inspiring for every developer!

http://corymiller.com/dear-developers-heres-some-advice-for-your-career/
81 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
themethoft says

Really having trouble letting it go, is it?

Even after that chopper/frame analogy being bang-on, i guess you did not understand it. A WordPress theme costs much more than 40 bucks for the developer to build. Period. Yet he sells it to a buyer hoping to make up in terms of volume.

That’s like Walmart. When you buy something from WALMART and it is as advertised, you know it’s going to break but you buy it because it is dirt cheap and you can buy another next time. You do not expect Walmart to replace your broken thing every time, do you? So you are telling you are against this policy similar to Walmart. But then you go to Walmart every single time to save the bucks :)

The support you are asking for is not obligatory, it’s like a favor! Most of the authors are nice guys to do that favor for good customer ties. But still, it’s a free addon and not actually included in the price!

52 posts
  • Located in Netherlands
jawes says

@themethoft Yes I understand it. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

427 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+6 more
Jaynesh says

Really having trouble letting it go, is it?

Even after that chopper/frame analogy being bang-on, i guess you did not understand it. A WordPress theme costs much more than 40 bucks for the developer to build. Period. Yet he sells it to a buyer hoping to make up in terms of volume…

I agree with you. Yes, WordPress themes are dirt cheap. Most WordPress developers spend months on their themes, which equals to thousands of dollars in development time, and in the end only end up with a few sales. Sorry but this made me think of something off-topic. I remember reading about a bar in New York that priced it’s drinks depending on the demand. The higher the demand the higher the price. Imagine if we had themes that had fluctuating prices depending on the demand? :P

4602 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
digitalscience says

That’s like Walmart. When you buy something from WALMART and it is as advertised, you know it’s going to break but you buy it because it is dirt cheap and you can buy another next time. You do not expect Walmart to replace your broken thing every time, do you? So you are telling you are against this policy similar to Walmart. But then you go to Walmart every single time to save the bucks :)

Hmmm ok but Envato is not like Walmart – when buyers buy a file they should expect it to work.. and this is fair. Just because it’s cheap doesn’t mean buyers should expect files to be potentially “damaged goods” going for cheap and must just deal with it if it has issues.

In jawes case, we don’t know exactly to what extent the issue is with the file, perhaps its not broken but has some user specific issues, or customization issues. These are common and happen… I’m guessing the file itself is not seriously broken otherwise jawes would have a refund by now. The thing is, Envato has 10000’s of authors and there is no regulation on the authors standard of support, as long as the files meet the standard and functioning correctly they’ll be approved. If files have serious issues or bugs after approval, the file will be withheld temporarily so authors can make updates, or buyers can get a refund in serious cases.

I just feel this is going on now, because it’s now become a matter of principle jawes ? I get it with the entrepreneurial post.

52 posts
  • Located in Netherlands
jawes says

@digitalscience You are correct the theme is not seriously broken so I am thinking how to proceed. I did not ask for a refund as I have invested in building the site. I also know that other buyers have issues with the theme and some of them complained or asked for a refund.

My frustration was merely focused to the fact that the developer did not give any notice on his support forum or on his portfolio page about his absence. I did not expect to get support but it would be professional to inform buyers why he is not responding.

4602 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
digitalscience says

Well if he’s having other buyers with the same issue, then he will probably update the file.. it won’t do any good for sales. Also sometimes if files sell fast, support queries can add up quickly so also take into account that they might be swamped with requests, or their “silence” might mean they are currently working on updates. Also to work on updates, and re-upload to get approved takes time so you have to take this into account. Best would be to wait it out, otherwise if it’s urgent – rather hire someone to have a look at the issue and save some time.

52 posts
  • Located in Netherlands
jawes says

@digitalscience appreciate your advice! I think I will wait it out.

81 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
themethoft says

Argh, this is killin’ me now! If you do not want to name the particular author or theme, at least tell us the exact kind of trouble you are facing. We are so ready to help you but you keep ramblin’ on and on about how the world can be made a better place :)

I am dieing to know what is the exact problem with this theme which still managed to pass the stringent review process?

by
by
by
by
by
by