52 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Netherlands
jawes says

@themethoft I think it is up to Envato and the author to resolve this. I have no intentions to reveal the author’s name or theme here. This would be disrespectful. I appreciate your offer to help but I decided to wait.

52 posts
  • Located in Netherlands
jawes says

Would be interesting if someone shares some feedback on the articles of Cory Miller. Wish you all good sales! ;-)

256 posts Premium Website Design
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $2M+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
ThemeFusion says

Cory is an inspiration!

6029 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

Would be interesting if someone shares some feedback on the articles of Cory Miller. Wish you all good sales! ;-)

Really interesting but the point “Business is always personal” can be taken differently by different people – most cases “granted”. :D If you do not aware, it already exists for centuries.

And the principles pointed on that article are all based on moral & subjective like “care”, “Serve others” etc. I see an efficient “business” already does that even without speaking those qualities to their clients. It is possible to stay utter in-efficient while also with top-level caring towards customers. The problem is customers doesn’t need that kind of care.

I assume the toughest part of any business is not about following the predefined ‘rights and wrongs’. It is about finding what actually are those rights or wrongs for that particular business.

1709 posts Multimedia Artistry
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Contributed a free file of the month
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+4 more
dnp_theme says

jawes,
there are some reasons why on this marketplace, customers don’t make the rules in any case. Here the authors are free of contract, are well aware of all issues about marketplace regulations, competition, customer support / care, copyright infringement, etc.

The price dictates the new way of life in this community: some authors can choose to provide support for the price, others provide limited support or no support, only if this helps the sales and does not fully consume all the available time.

You must remember, most of us are a “one man team”, in some cases we have huge demand and lots of support tickets to solve, this makes the average response time a bit longer, and you as a customer have to immediately acknowledge these things, you will never be able to force the hand of any author because after all, you buy things here “as is” and use it the best to your abilities to DIY (do it yourself).

Another thing is, this is not a school to teach you basic things, it’s a marketplace where you are supposed to know things for yourself, if you wanna get started today, this is not the best place to do that.

585 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
AlexFjord says

While Cory has some interesting points across the blog I think those two articles ar eharldy groundbreaking.

The “new rules” for entrepreneurs are just a list of basic business best practice principals and nothing revolutionary.

Even Cory himself admits to breaking them at times and in anything in life there will be those less scrupulous “professionals” but at the same time I can name a number of authors who act within these guidelines already and as dnp_themes mentioned in relation to here, individual circumstances and marketplace conditions can impact how some people are able to behave.

The one thing I read that I see as v relevant to this marketplace was from the second article:

– No two developers are exactly the same. You’re all unique in your own quirky way. And I love and cherish that about you.
– I thoroughly love being a part of building and launching things with you. You do things I can’t. You can actually build all the things we dream about together.

This backs up that stereotyping authors is unfair based on the actions of the negative few, and of course not every file will work exactly the same.

But the bit I could not agree with more is You do things I can’t. This is a phrase that many buyers (this is not aimed at you Jawes), would do well to remember!

There will always be negative examples in anything – its just life; but we need to remember the whole thing is a two way street. Yes developer income depends on keeping customers happy so they generate sales BUT at the same time buyers need to be reasonable, understand they get what they pay for, the rules of the site and most of all that the authors are the every people who are either keeping them employed or at least saving them literally thousands of $.

Going back on topic properly I love some of Corey’s thought generally but do not see anything mind blowing here. Some good foundational opinions though that I can see the relevance of to the marketplace but from both buyer and author points of view

631 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
ChapterThemes says

People just need to stop wining. Stop attacking the whole community everytime a buyer has an issue, or try to “make clear” what you think the problem is, cuz honestly i’ve never seen a wining buyer here saying anything that helps and only starting another useless discussion with all the same answers and replies all over again.

Got a problem? Take it up to the author. Still don’t like it? Go hire a agency or buy from different authors next time

52 posts
  • Located in Netherlands
jawes says

But the bit I could not agree with more is You do things I can’t. This is a phrase that many buyers (this is not aimed at you Jawes), would do well to remember!

I also agree on this! And I fully understand that I get a lot of value for just $40!

52 posts
  • Located in Netherlands
jawes says

I assume the toughest part of any business is not about following the predefined ‘rights and wrongs’. It is about finding what actually are those rights or wrongs for that particular business.

It is the toughest challenge for businesses to nourish those core values where Cory is speaking off. Sometimes it should be necessary to impose those values from outside so businesses become aware of keeping up good standards.

by
by
by
by
by
by