• Envato Staff
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
+6 more
MarkBrodhuber Staff says

Guys and gals,

We have decided to standardize the watermarking process for ALL previews across all three categories. Over time watermarks began slipping into the corners, then they became smaller and smaller, until they reached the point they are now, with variations that resemble a bug rather than a watermark.

The purpose of the watermark is protect your work. While this definitely applies to Motion Graphics, and Stock Footage, its tough for Project Files. Without access to the actual project the preview video would be pretty pointless. Regardless, in our effort to standardize things, I feel it would be easier if we just blanketed the whole marketplace with 1 set of strict guidelines. They are as follows:

1. Watermark must be centered.
  2. Watermark must be large enough to cover main elements of the video
  3. Watermark opacity should not be lower than 25%
  4. Watermark must be on top of all other layers.

At the moment I’m asking you all to comply with these guidelines. Before the end of the week I will release a ZIP file that will improve on the current watermark. Right now the size of the watermark is the size of the watermark document. I will release images that are appropriate sizes for various preview resolutions, that will have the watermark correctly sized, centered, with the transparency lowered. This way, you will now only need to select the appropriate size based on your file, import your preview below the watermark layer, and scale your file down, then export the FLV . This should, in time alleviate all watermarking issues.

I will announce here when the improved watermarks are available, and from that point forward any files incorrectly watermarked will be rejected.

Thanks, Mark

418 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Beta Tester
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Germany
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
+1 more
Matthias_ says

Hey Mark!

What about than also with a Full HD Watermark?

1920×1080 Would be nice!

DriverX

4901 posts
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Support Staff
  • Envato Staff
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
+6 more
MarkBrodhuber Staff says

Well the thing is, most people are viewing these previews on their computers. So full HD is not really necessary.

Generally we try to say half is always best. So for SD files, the 720×480 or 720×486 size is acceptable.

For HD:

720p (1280×720) should become: 645×360
1080p (1920×1080) should be: 960×540

418 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Germany
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
+1 more
Matthias_ says

Nice thinkin’

What’s then the “perfekt” preview size?

1000 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
+3 more
baf2681 Reviewer says

I stick to 640×360 for previews myself. I noticed some odd sizes when i reviewing file the other day.

583 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+4 more
flashato says

Hi Agree on the 640×360 preview.
I normally quit when i see those huge previews(for connection issue too..).Also,I agree on the ALL ,since i reload the 2 last previews with apropiate watermark (as per request from the reviewer),and I saw that some new files are with small water mark.Not a problem for me, but if it s raining, it’s raining for everybody.
Nice that we have now an “official guide” on watermark,this will avoid misunderstandings in the future.great job.
Arthur

4901 posts
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Support Staff
  • Envato Staff
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
+6 more
MarkBrodhuber Staff says

Yeah, some files are still coming in with the watermark overlaid incorrectly. No worries though, we are moving to standardize things and moving forward we will be rejecting for this reason. Baf and I will pay special attention to watermarks that are not correct. And make sure they are placed right from the get go.

1000 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Exclusive Author
  • Beta Tester
+3 more
baf2681 Reviewer says

Guys,

A lot of files are still coming in without the proper watermark or none at all. Files will no longer be accepted if the watermark is in a corner or super small. Please review this post.

thanks. Brian

595 posts THINK DIFFERENT
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Won a Competition
  • Beta Tester
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
Generator says

I think this initiative is good, except maybe for project files where generally speaking the focus is on the centre of the screen and a watermark there can detract / spoil subtle effects – especially since these previews are “pretty pointless” without access to the project file itself.

1000 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Exclusive Author
  • Beta Tester
+3 more
baf2681 Reviewer says

Just getting this post back on top. I am still getting like 75% of the files with NO watermark, black or glowing watermarks, and watermarks really small or in the corner.

PLEASE give this post another read.

Thanks

Brian

by
by
by
by
by
by