4335 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+10 more
Reaper-Media says

Hi guys :)

A few of you probably remembering me mentioning not too long ago that I had designer’s block, i really couldn’t think of where to start on my new website’s design, and whenever i made any progress i ended up scrapping the design…

Well after spending some time not thinking about my website, and coming back to it later (as many of you suggested) i think i’ve come up with a design i’m moderately happy with… Of course there’s probably a lot of room for improvement… and i’ve only done the mockup for the front page… but i think it’s pretty decent and i’ll be able to stick with it for a while.

So yeah…. i’m going to build it in html + css, ( sorry AD Guys :D ), It’s a centre column structure, so if you can imagine the sides of the image expanding left and right and this being centred…

Also in the image below, the “home” button in the main menu is in it’s hover state, which compresses the other menu items and moves the “home” text up with a little explanation below, of course this will all be done in JavaScript… with easing ;)

So here it is:

Larger Image

Please feel free to critisice it, i need to imporve it as much as possible. Also suggestions on better content layout / what to include would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Sam

243 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
Web-Culture says

Hey Sam, I think it looks pretty cool so far.

Only thing I would say is maybe try adding small line indents to the bottom grey part like you have between the nav at the top just to separate that content. It might look stupid but I think just give it a try. :)

296 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
theninja says

Nice… yeah, I like it! I think the layout’s pretty good from a user’s point of view :)
You stuck your neck out a bit with the green colour scheme though as from my experience people tend to dislike green (I don’t mind it, lol)
I’d have chosen blue like your main “under construction page” and your avatar with grey text maybe, as people are used to those colours :D
Like this :

Just a thought… not anything hugely helpful mind you!

8279 posts Community Moderator
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+9 more
MSFX Moderator says

Wow you’re loving the green considering your avatar is blue lol…

Whats the purpose of the site? If its for bringing in clients then perhaps having links to free files and featured authors on a stock site is not such a smart idea since they may end up going elsewhere with the work… just a thought.

Realise what you want from the site whilst considering what to include / exclude… don’t be afraid to not follow trends (i.e. having every piece of social media mashed together on a page) :)

4140 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Brazil
+3 more
tsafi says

Its OK kid`o we forgive you that its not flash, there in no harm been ordinary :D Don’t worry, AD guys will always support you …… viva la Reaper :P

3135 posts
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
Daniel_R says
Its OK kid`o we forgive you that its not flash, there in no harm been ordinary :D Don’t worry, AD guys will always support you …… viva la Reaper :P

lol…...

I like the blue style Sam…but as Matt said, what is the purpose of the site?

595 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+5 more
designcise says

it does look kind of better in blue .. green really strikes the eye :\

3135 posts
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
Daniel_R says
Realise what you want from the site whilst considering what to include / exclude… don’t be afraid to not follow trends (i.e. having every piece of social media mashed together on a page) :)

@Matt: you got the forum superstar? and the mod badge recently? you guys are related to any of the Evanto’s staff? lol

1620 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
PatrikL Envato team says

Header looks great, but I wouldn´t Emphasize the text.. Especially not in any headers, nor the menu.. Not anywhere really, unless you have a testimonial from a client of course.. But never h1 tags and such..

I´d have a look at some “portfolio” sites (if that´s what it is) to see how I could place the main content to give it a better feel and look.. Just remember, get inspired, never steal :P (not that I think you would, just a pointer) :)

You have a great start, and it´s quite easy to get really great.. Just give it some thought, time, inspiration and love.. Then you´ll have the perfect website..

Good luck, Reaper! :)

1276 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+15 more
ChristineWilde Envato team says

I would go for the blue variation if I was you. I think the green is too hard on the eyes and I couldn’t look at it for too long. The overall layout is good, possibly space out the elements a bit to give more white space?

by
by
by
by
by
by