47 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Located in Europe
+3 more
mustachethemes says

Hello, I am starting with WordPress and I am watching some video tutorials. In this video tutorials the bootstrap styles and bootstrap jquery links are in the index.php file.
But I see in some Themes here that the styles and js files links are in the function.php file.
My question is: What is the benefit of having them in the function.php file instead of the index.php? Is this some “WordPress Theme Submission Requirements”?
I need help, thanks! :)

41 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
fitwp says

Scripts and styles must be enqueued using “wp_enqueue_script” and “wp_enqueue_style” functions. You can choose to put these functions in functions.php or another PHP file, but not index.php. Output HTML for JS & CSS file directly into template file is a bad practice, unless you have to, like outputting conditional Javascript file (html5shiv) for IE < 9, where those functions can’t output conditional tag.

47 posts
  • Located in Europe
+3 more
mustachethemes says

Thank you so much for your answer. Another simple question:
In one page themes: what is the benefit of having each section of the page in a separate php file. For example: about.php, portfolio.php, contact.php and call them from the index.php?
Is this better than having all the sections in the index.php?

41 posts
fitwp says

Code organizing!

What happens if you keep your index.php file 1000 lines of code? Is it: - easy to read? - easy to debug when something happends? - easy to maintenance when you need to find/update/change/optimize something?

No, absolutely no!

Don’t keep everything in 1 file. You always should separate part of your code into files. When something goes wrong, you know where you have to look for. A good practice is keep 1 file about 200 lines of code, but in some cases, it can be 300-400. > 600 is not recommended and in that case, you need to think about optimization, or more precise, refactoring code.

47 posts
  • Located in Europe
+3 more
mustachethemes says

Maybe I can use this code to add the html5shiv code into the funcion.php file?

// add ie conditional html5 shim to header
function add_ie_html5_shim () {
    global $is_IE;
    if ($is_IE)
        wp_register_script ('html5shim', "http://html5shim.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/html5.js");
        wp_enqueue_script ('html5shim');
}
add_action('wp_head', 'add_ie_html5_shim');

I was reading: http://css-tricks.com/snippets/wordpress/html5-shim-in-functions-php/ to find a solution for that.
47 posts
  • Located in Europe
+3 more
mustachethemes says
Wow, thanks for the recommendation, I must see how many code lines I have now and find they way to split them into php files. Thanks

Code organizing!

What happens if you keep your index.php file 1000 lines of code? Is it: - easy to read? - easy to debug when something happends? - easy to maintenance when you need to find/update/change/optimize something?

No, absolutely no!

Don’t keep everything in 1 file. You always should separate part of your code into files. When something goes wrong, you know where you have to look for. A good practice is keep 1 file about 200 lines of code, but in some cases, it can be 300-400. > 600 is not recommended and in that case, you need to think about optimization, or more precise, refactoring code.
41 posts
fitwp says

Maybe I can use this code to add the html5shiv code into the funcion.php file?

// add ie conditional html5 shim to header
function add_ie_html5_shim () {
    global $is_IE;
    if ($is_IE)
        wp_register_script ('html5shim', "http://html5shim.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/html5.js");
        wp_enqueue_script ('html5shim');
}
add_action('wp_head', 'add_ie_html5_shim');
I was reading: http://css-tricks.com/snippets/wordpress/html5-shim-in-functions-php/ to find a solution for that.

This is a good snippet. But keep in mind that websites mostly use cache plugin (like W3 Total Cache, WP Super Cache). When you ouput this for 1 user (IE, for example), it would be used for 1000+ users, which is not cool. That’s why we should use conditional tag for that.

Anyway, good snippet :)

by
by
by
by
by
by