12 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
Eldian says

Any author here started with no formal training or education or got their career started in a different field?

I ask because I went to school for something unrelated to web design/web development but always find myself intrigued with it.

1799 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
BroOf says

A lot of people here don’t have a special education. I learned it when I was about 15-16 with no help of teachers.

67 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
Headset says

My school was (and still is) the web :), I studied Political Sciences.

7 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
Elab says
A lot of people here don’t have a special education. I learned it when I was about 15-16 with no help of teachers.

Same here. I found the education system with the web world is very outdated. A lot of us were coding WP way before any of the schools caught on. Now it seems the some of the graduates come to some of us for answers. Go figure.

2952 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+10 more
DDStudios says

Same here , I started designing full time 5 month ago. Always been curious about computer and I found my dream job :)

Lynda.com is an excellent excellent ressources if you want to learn , and it’s really cheap.

And also all the Tuts website from Envato !

206 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
mlando says

I found when hiring/interviewing, that candidates with formal education offer a solid foundation in design theory and concepts. Most candidates out of school have base knowledge of the tools but lack practical experience in production/real world scenarios. I would say that a combination of both self learning and formal education would be beneficial.

Learning on your own can give you the knowledge you need to work in this field as long as you take the time to figure out what is the right way and learn from quality sources. There are many paths to a goal and all have their benefits. Learning is something you will have to do on a continual basis in this field so regardless how you get there you will have to keep your chops-up will constant exploration.

12 posts
Eldian says
I found when hiring/interviewing, that candidates with formal education offer a solid foundation in design theory and concepts. Most candidates out of school have base knowledge of the tools but lack practical experience in production/real world scenarios. I would say that a combination of both self learning and formal education would be beneficial. Learning on your own can give you the knowledge you need to work in this field as long as you take the time to figure out what is the right way and learn from quality sources. There are many paths to a goal and all have their benefits. Learning is something you will have to do on a continual basis in this field so regardless how you get there you will have to keep your chops-up will constant exploration.

Have you ever hired anyone without any education and is self taught?

831 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
tigerlabs says

Just because you’re self-taught doesn’t mean you don’t have an education.. ;)

8 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
codyrobert says

I studied journalism & international relations.

Only one person I’ve worked with in the last 7 years has gone to school and graduated with a degree related to what they do, Advertising Design. I’ve worked with a former relator that does web design, and a high school dropout who was previously an airplane salesman.

The people that did have university experience, didn’t train in anything related to what they currently do.

206 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
mlando says

Absolutely! My point was that formal education is great for design theory etc… but cannot replace practical experience in real world situations. A solid skill set no matter where it comes from is what it comes down to. Creativity, Design sense and the ability to realize ideas to create the final product in a reasonable time frame is the bottom line. A solid portfolio is your best friend. It can go a long way to demonstrate your abilities and is the MAIN item that can get you considered. Remember to include REAL pieces in the portfolio. Art directors want to see actual pieces and functioning sites… not just screen shots.

by
by
by
by
by
by