80 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
Stormycub says
DanChristopoulos said
What do you mean by “You’ve completely ignored title/action safe zones.”? Thank you again for the answer friend.

Have a look at this:

http://i1.creativecow.net/u/19614/safe_aeras.png

The outer white dotted box is your title safe area, meaning that your graphics should be composed within this space as anything outside of that may/will be cut off. Imagine the bit beyond that as bleed area at a printers, which the printer might chop off when making a business card for example. You can and should have graphics element in the space beyond action safe, just nothing critical to your work.

Title safe is the inner white dotted box, where all text should be placed, only when text is animating in and out of your scene can it be outside of this safe area. If you don’t follow these guides, any graphics work will fail transmission and not be allowed to be broadcast.

You have a safe area guides in AE. In the composition window at the bottom on the right of where it says 100% (or whatever % is there) is a grid safe button, select ‘title/action safe’ and the gird will appear. The outer box is action safe, the inner boxes are different title safe areas. I tend to stick to 14:9 safe unless the client specifies another, this is the second largest box of the three text safe options.

Hope this helps!

SC

80 posts
+1 more
Stormycub says

@Felt

Beat me to it :-P

858 posts Nicely done
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+9 more
MotionRevolver Envato team says

I have to admit that I’m beginning to enjoy your epic posts, felt!

But seriously, the fact that you take so much time to type out such detailed answers to help someone, or explain things in layman’s terms to the folks in our forum, speaks very highly of you.

5155 posts
  • Provided great contribution to our forums
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+12 more
felt_tips Volunteer moderator says
MotionRevolver said
I have to admit that I’m beginning to enjoy your epic posts, felt! But seriously, the fact that you take so much time to type out such detailed answers to help someone, or explain things in layman’s terms to the folks in our forum, speaks very highly of you.

Thanks. Good to know someone’s reading ‘em. Well, you’ve got to do something while you’re rendering. :)

-f.

688 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
videologio says
felt_tips said
MotionRevolver said
I have to admit that I’m beginning to enjoy your epic posts, felt! But seriously, the fact that you take so much time to type out such detailed answers to help someone, or explain things in layman’s terms to the folks in our forum, speaks very highly of you.

Thanks. Good to know someone’s reading ‘em. Well, you’ve got to do something while you’re rendering. :)

-f.

these posts have to be part of a e-book which is called: how to survive in motion graphics :)

176 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+4 more
DanaosC says
felt_tips said
DanChristopoulos said
What do you mean by “You’ve completely ignored title/action safe zones.”?

Back in the day when TVs used to resemble big glass bowls, the region towards the edge of the picture was often rather a messy affair, not to mention that the screens were not remotely rectangular. so the cathode ray-tube at the back would be set to scan off the edge of the picture area of the bowl like glass screen… a so called overscan. The wonderful gigantic teak cases would then cut a beautiful, as-square-as-possible template onto your grizzly black and white 525 line picture.

Since the advent of television, broadcast designers have been leaving 10% all the way round the picture, knowing that it would be cut off by the TV (the so-called action safe). They also respect a region (traditionally a 20% boundary round the picture) called the title safe. This is for when you’re using text – for example sports scores, lower thirds, astons etc. that makes the text extra safe and readable and gives an aesthetically pleasant spacing between the text and the edge of the screen.

Well… old habits die hard (or more to the point, the broadcast industry is very keen to stay 100% backwards compatible) and as we move into the digital age where screens are perfectly rectangular and the outer 10% of the picture is no longer fuzzy, the tradition has been continued of cutting off 10% of the picture right round the edge. Although most modern flat screen TVs will have an “underscan” mode, whereby you see the whole picture, most default to the old-fashioned cropping of the image. Probably, because many older images for broadcast have some unsightly stuff round the edge that was never supposed to be seen.

Whether Videohive authors should observe the safe zones is actually something of a moot point, since the vast majority will be for internet playback, where you see the entire picture.

However, I think the best policy is to observe the action safe margin fairly religiously and bear the other margin in mind. Understand what it’s there for and choose when to observe it. For big typo stuff, the title-safe is more or less irrelevant, but it you’re designing a lower third, for instance, you should observe it quite carefully and make sure that all your titles fall inside it.

You can turn the After Effect title and action safe margins on or off using the little icon at the bottom of the composition preview window.

Another useful trick is to make a layer the size of your comp. Set it’s scale to 90% and put it at the top of the layer stack. Set it’s blending mode to Stencil Alpha and lock the layer. That will show you your image with TV overscan framing.

Or try this as an alternative. Create an adjustment layer at the top of your layer stack. Add a Distort -> Transform effect. Set the scale to 111%, then lock the layer. Your entire image will scale up and crop of 10% right the way round.

-f.

I really didn’t know all these stuff…..I can’t describe how I appreciate your effort to answer to all my newbie questions.You should really teach to some university or something…

5155 posts
  • Provided great contribution to our forums
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+12 more
felt_tips Volunteer moderator says

Maybe I should compile ‘em into an ebook. I must have made tens if not a hundred posts like this.

If you go digging, you might be able to find the one about the history of TV standards. That one was fun.

(If you’re into that kind of thing)

:D

-f.

80 posts
+1 more
Stormycub says

It’s so nice to see all this creative advice hasn’t fallen in deaf ears….

145 posts
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+4 more
VidnoaDesign says

yes… my new project rejected like u.. rewiwer used (Ctrl+c Ctrl+v ) for msgs.

i thinks….. if we are working hard on a video ….. It is our right to know what is the problem we need to fix it. :depressed:

98 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
RMdeJong says

Title saftey, a pain in the ass sometimes. At my fulltime job I have a HD monitor where I can check how things will look like on television, it really saves your ass when your not sure if its in saftey zone.

by
by
by
by
by
by