413 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • United Kingdom
  • Won a Competition
altinkum says

l think TF should take care of the theme support or put fine on unsupported themes like http://themeforest.net/item/convergence-community-wordpress-theme/34924 because no reply, no support and this is not right.

Theme Forest should charge them if they dont show support ?

1479 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
+1 more
PixelBin says

Uhm, let’s get a couple things straight here. ThemeForest is a place with quality themes by very talented authors that provide in-depth documentation, and customization help as a must.

Further support is completely at the discretion of the author. Please understand that some authors have dozens of themes, and checking each and every one of them everyday for questions is a tedious task, especially when they spend hours upon hours on documentation that is supposed to limit these support questions.

You should be happy if you get any support. That’s just a bonus you get for buying from ThemeForest. Being negative about it isn’t going to help.

1912 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Envato Staff
  • Support Staff
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Canada
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
+3 more
TPN Staff says
2541 posts
  • United States
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Contributed a Blog Post
+4 more
CreatingDrew says
Frequently Asked Questions
For those that don’t want to click and to clarify:
Items are purchased as is. While we encourage authors to provide free support, authors are not required to do so.

While I think authors should offer some support if they want to be successful, they are in no way shape or form required to do so.

1479 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
+1 more
PixelBin says
Frequently Asked Questions
Envato needs to update those FAQ ’s – it still says “Eden” instead of “Envato”.

Oh, and finally put all the info from FlashDen on all branches of the marketplace. This irritates me so much; it’s not just FlashDen anymore! Some people don’t even know FD exists, how are they supposed to know there’s valuable information there regarding all branches of the marketplace?

195 posts Aivah
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
+4 more
AivahThemes says

Altinkum I agree with u but i got a eye on the description of that theme it says that

* NEED SUPPORT * Please send me a direct message using the form on my profile page, as I receive an email containing your comments, and will be able to respond faster.

Did you tried contacting him through his profile page?

I too purchased that theme and got few bugs fixed myself as i knew php coding.

Try messaging through his profile page and see.

2529 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Blog Editor
  • Exclusive Author
+6 more
JeffreyWay says

Thanks – we’ll be sure to update that information with our coming redesign. Much will change. :)

In reference to author support, it’s not required—though we do encourage it. With an author like MAXIMUS , it’s important to remember that he’s easily one of our top 5 authors. Responding to buyers could easily be a full-time job. This is why we require a help file with every download.

382 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
blabus says

Yeah, but what happens when the help file isn’t any help? You all seem to be assuming that we just download the files, trash the documentation without even reading it, and then start complaining to the author.

For example, I bought an MP3 player from FlashDen a little while back, which didn’t contain any help file whatsoever. All it included was a demo HTML page showing it implemented. I tried to implement it exactly as the demo page did, but couldn’t get it to work. Sent an email to the author, and the reply came back asking if I had all of the files in the correct folder- which I specifically stated in the original email. I replied back again that they were and it still wasn’t working, and I’ve yet to hear anything more from him.

So now what? Since these types of products have no refund or replacement/substitution policies, I’ve now essentially just wasted $15.

I agree that support is one of the weak areas in the marketplace.

922 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 1 000 000 - 1 999 999 dollars
  • Power Elite Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Won a Competition
+8 more
MDNW says
Thanks – we’ll be sure to update that information with our coming redesign. Much will change. :) In reference to author support, it’s not required—though we do encourage it. With an author like MAXIMUS , it’s important to remember that he’s easily one of our top 5 authors. Responding to buyers could easily be a full-time job. This is why we require a help file with every download.

Agreed (with Phoenix_Zero’s point as well – well said!). As an author I do my utmost best to respond to all support requests (and my buyers will tell you that I try to get to everyone within 24 hours), but the fact is that I could very easily spend 4-6 hours a day if I gave my full attention to each and every request for someone wanting to make X, Y and Z changes to any of my themes (the worst are those customers who expect me to install wordpress for them, ugh). I think it’s fair for customers to make requests, the fact is that it’s totally up to the author on whether or not these are answered. I happen to think that it’s just “good business” to offer the best support that I’m able to my buyers, but this is something that I’ve chosen to do, it’s not a requirement.

As a buyer or Convergence, I can tell you that there is plenty of documentation in the download file. I’m sure there are cases out there where authors have slipped through the review process with less than adequate documentation, but this just isn’t one of those cases.

250 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • United Kingdom
simnor says

I try and support as far as possible but if you provide a good enough documentation file you shouldn’t have to offer support

The type of questions I tend to receive are customisation questions, I do offer some support but I am in no way required to do so and that should always remain the case.

The other type of support is when you get real newbies that cant even understand your documentation, in that case you really cant help apart from speaking to them like a child which I don’t like doing and it takes way to long, not really worth the sale in the end.

Also what is worth mentioning, on my themes I tend to have someone post a support request on my theme page and then email me with the exact same support request, I’m not going to answer it in both places and as many of these are customisations (they get charged) so I cant then go and add the solution onto the comments thread for free so some questions are left unanswered, probably not the case in Maximus’ case though.

by
by
by
by
by
by