812 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
iamthwee says

Unfortunately, you can’t stop buyer’s stopping off at wordpress.org and installing the several of the poorly coded plugins/ or no longer supported plugins.
Actually, ALL of the themes and plugins I had support issues with are commercial and sold on Envato network.

Forgive my ignorance, but surely the approval process now must expect standard wp-coding practices for plugins? Otherwise what are the reviewers approving? Or are you talking about very old plugins that are sold here?

19 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+3 more
SimpleRealty says

Unfortunately, you can’t stop buyer’s stopping off at wordpress.org and installing the several of the poorly coded plugins/ or no longer supported plugins.
Actually, ALL of the themes and plugins I had support issues with are commercial and sold on Envato network.
Forgive my ignorance, but surely the approval process now must expect standard wp-coding practices for plugins? Otherwise what are the reviewers approving? Or are you talking about very old plugins that are sold here?

I think it’s impossible for the reviewers to review the code… on the other hand that’s exactly what WordPress Themes Review Team started to do last year in order to accept free themes into their official repository. They just realized that they got too much junk on their hands.

Just because a theme or a plugin works, it doesn’t mean it will work with other plugins – that’s why WordPress has a development API , as well as furnished their platform with standard libraries, so the platform becomes highly modular and flexible. By not following the API standards you’re risking to break that chain of modularity.

P.S. Simple example. Let’s take our jQuery library, which seems to be creating the highest support volume. WP requires programmers to put scripts in a “bucket”, so it can see what it has before outputting them on a page. After all scripts are in a bucket, WP inserts those scripts into the page according to their dependencies. If you ignore that order, something might break. You can avoid letting WP to put your script in the bucket, and instead insert it into the output yourself. What happens here? Well, it still might work and your code can be correct, but WP is unaware that you did that, because WP only can control all the scripts in the bucket. WP API instructions tell you to put the script in the bucket, but you didn’t do that for some reason… It’s not about the way we write our code – in pajamas, naked, drunk, while standing on the head or some crazy way on our smart phones – it’s about following simple pre-defined rules for this particular platform. So all the geeks’ code, no matter how hammered they were when wrote it, would play nicely with others at the end. So we achieve harmony. Think of it as highways and driving rules. Amen :)

3221 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
+1 more
organicbee says

most the themes on here “should” go through the same standards(plugin) that the themes that get submitted to the .org repo there were some threads about it almost a year ago saying they are going to reject themes that don’t follow proper script standards unless somethings changed and wasn’t announced or reviewers aren’t running the theme properly there shouldn’t be an issue with themes on themeforest but…....... not saying the systems perfect

19 posts
+3 more
SimpleRealty says

most the themes on here “should” go through the same standards(plugin) that the themes that get submitted to the .org repo there were some threads about it almost a year ago saying they are going to reject themes that don’t follow proper script standards unless somethings changed and wasn’t announced or reviewers aren’t running the theme properly there shouldn’t be an issue with themes on themeforest but…....... not saying the systems perfect

Yes, the .org team is reviewing themes according to their code standards now.

I’m not bashing the local “system”, I’m just trying to concentrate on “how I can do this better within the current system” :)

3221 posts
  • Located in United States
+1 more
organicbee says

the themeforest review team is spouse to be using those same standards(at least thats what was announced) was what I was trying to get at

19 posts
+3 more
SimpleRealty says

the themeforest review team is spouse to be using those same standards(at least thats what was announced) was what I was trying to get at

Oh, I see. I didn’t pay attention to the theme release date on those that had issues.. but I know they are still very much available for sale here on the network.

19 posts
+3 more
SimpleRealty says

I wonder, if I force the default jQuery library by default, do you think there is a high risk that it might affect some themes or plugins that still replying on the older versions like 1.4.1 and 1.6? I always can show people how to deactivate that, in case it causes a problem. Thoughts?

607 posts
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Member of the Envato Team
+10 more
Siddharth Envato team says

Hey all,

Sorry for chiming in so late. Weekend and all that. ;p

Yes, we’re aware of this issue. We tend to keep reviewing and improving standards on TF and any new submission in the past 6-8 months should be fairly problem free since we’re actively discouraging authors from randomly deregistering scripts and using their own or including scripts the bad way.

If the files with issues are indeed more recent, can you guys please PM me and I’ll take a look and proceed as needed?

Thanks and have a good one!

812 posts
iamthwee says

Thanks siddy,

I did assume more recent themes/plugin would have strict quality control. Thanks for clearing this up.

2 posts
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
davoscript says

Hey all,

Sorry for chiming in so late. Weekend and all that. ;p

Yes, we’re aware of this issue. We tend to keep reviewing and improving standards on TF and any new submission in the past 6-8 months should be fairly problem free since we’re actively discouraging authors from randomly deregistering scripts and using their own or including scripts the bad way.

If the files with issues are indeed more recent, can you guys please PM me and I’ll take a look and proceed as needed?

Thanks and have a good one!

Hi man, I’ve just emailed you about this, I will let you know if the 3rd-party plugins/themes my plugin conflicts with are from Envato you guys can check it out.

I know I’ve been having problems offering support, but it’s pretty bad to keep getting tickets like “doesn’t work at all” when it’s other developers fault.. anwyay, we need to educate other too.

Regards, David.

by
by
by
by
by
by