• Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Won a Competition
+8 more
MDNW says

I thought most people here would be interested in seeing these… Firefox officially passed IE6 , but the browsersaurus still hasn’t dropped below the magic 10%.

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/11/october-2009-browser-stats-firefox-finally-passes-ie6.ars

Interesting observation: Firefox users all seem to migrate to the newest version quickly with the most users being on 3.5, while IE usage is spread out pretty much equally, with the LEAST users using the latest version. Odd? Or just proof that IE users are either stuck on old versions becuase of corporate legalities or uninterested in ever ever ever accepting change…. which pretty much sums up the people that use either browser (early adopters vs. last one’s to get on board). We’ll see what happens next month as the Windows 7 release begins to influence the numbers.

342 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
reidknorr says

Man I can’t wait to forget about IE6 forever. That browser causes more headaches and wastes so much time for so many developers its ridiculous. Thanks for sharing this info!

385 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Slovakia
+3 more
uDesignStudios says

Speaking of which…

http://marylandmedia.com/2006/12/time-breakdown-of-modern-web-design/

You all probably know this. But it is quite nice and funny visual representation of the evil thoughts that we all share about this so called browser.

2263 posts Bird is the word..
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
jonathan01 says

Good thread @epicera a few of us were talking about this the other day on twitter – I agree with all your observations – one thing that does worry me is your statement:

Or just proof that IE users are either stuck on old versions becuase of corporate legalities or uninterested in ever ever ever accepting change….

If this is the case – and quite possibly – then we are only ever going to see the figure drop for IE6 if we get a large proportion of new internet users to help reduce the market share based on a total user base.

If that is the case – we could still be looking at years! Scary.

922 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 1 000 000 - 1 999 999 dollars
  • Power Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
+8 more
MDNW says
Speaking of which…

http://marylandmedia.com/2006/12/time-breakdown-of-modern-web-design/

You all probably know this. But it is quite nice and funny visual representation of the evil thoughts that we all share about this so called browser.

Hah! Nice, hadn’t seen this yet. I love that the time it takes to make the site compliant (which SHOULD be the standard of all browsers) is represented as a tiny fraction of what it actually takes to test for IE. Funny stuff.

922 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 1 000 000 - 1 999 999 dollars
  • Power Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
+8 more
MDNW says
Good thread @epicera a few of us were talking about this the other day on twitter – I agree with all your observations – one thing that does worry me is your statement:

Or just proof that IE users are either stuck on old versions becuase of corporate legalities or uninterested in ever ever ever accepting change….

If this is the case – and quite possibly – then we are only ever going to see the figure drop for IE6 if we get a large proportion of new internet users to help reduce the market share based on a total user base.

If that is the case – we could still be looking at years! Scary.

I totally agree Jonathan. The bottleneck really becomes if/when the corporate computers begin to break down or become too slow to perform mundane tasks… in which case it becomes cost effective for some of these corporations and government institutions (which account for LOTS of IE6 users) to begin updating to the more recent versions of IE… which isn’t Firefox, but it beats the heck out of writing endless underscore hacks for IE6 . I haven’t had a computer last me more than 3 years without making me itch for an upgrade… so I’d like to think that lots of these havens for IE6 won’t be too far behind. But yes, years might be an accurate assumption for IE6 to drop from 23% to 9.9%.

Just a note: Jeffrey’s mentioned a lot in the past that once IE6 officially drops below 10% that we as authors won’t need to sweat it so much anymore… I’m sure most authors will still want to support it on a limited basis, but it’ll be a significantly smaller headache to just clean up basic styling issues.

360 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Beta Tester
+4 more
Philo01 Reviewer says

To bad Microsoft can’t force users to update there browser to the latest version. Or just remove IE and mass install FireFox…

385 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Slovakia
+3 more
uDesignStudios says

The fact that win 7 in europe will be shipped without IE can change the stats a bit as well.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8096701.stm

162 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
+1 more
ponjoh says

Lets just hope that once IE6 is history, people still want our services. I mean, it will become twice as easy to make a good website once IE6 is gone XD

385 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Slovakia
+3 more
uDesignStudios says
Lets just hope that once IE6 is history, people still want our services. I mean, it will become twice as easy to make a good website once IE6 is gone XD

+1 Man really, if you count the price based on your hourly rate :D Its gonna suck without IE6 :D

by
by
by
by
by
by