5901 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

A common mistake is assuming a chair with certain features will solve body issues. No, unless we have proper body activities / movements in regular interval, nothing will help. We are not born to stay static but move. So before trying with new chair, try to arrange some regular intervals for warmups.

I bet cushion chairs cause more trouble than a solid surface. For more than 12 years, I do use a simple PVC chair and never felt pain or strain until now. Surprisingly it has sufficient rigidity, mild flexibility (not like wood) enough to allow movements (of few centimeters) and I can even sit 45 to 90 degrees from front (sideways) by placing one leg on the handles and I do few more tricks to flex my body using that (can’t do the same with a rolling chair). I tried ergonomic office chairs but could’t find them helpful but more complexities!

\\

559 posts Themes and Graphics
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+9 more
Bebel says

links im menü unter “2.Tipps” noch n paar hinweise zum einstellen:

http://www.test.de/Schreibtischdrehstuehle-Jeder-zweite-mangelhaft-1532433-0/

lg

474 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Located in Austria
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
iHelp says

You guys are so awesome, thank you so much for the feedback!

infuse I think I’ll get a ball to change from the chair every few hours, but couldn’t imagine only using that. I also checked that one which seems to support the same way a ball does, but then it doesn’t have that positive reviews on amazon and one only should sit 3 to 5 hours on it daily. I don’t know..

I couldn’t see myself standing the whole day and night as madza suggested, I’m amazed that people can do that and I’m happy it does you good. My feet would hurt too much and it’s not particularly healthy for the veins.
The Aerons cost up to €1.500 – my motorbike cost that much :| – I never thought a chair could be that expensive kingdog and lifwanian – they must be insanely awesome. A store seems nowhere near to be found tho, I would have to order them, and I guess they would need to be fitted beforehand to be optimized to my body shape and sitting habits. I’ll check if somebody knows where to find those near me.

x4er0 yeah that’s a similar one to what I got here, I just let the looks defeat the purpose I suppose.
rvision_ I just changed the position of my chair according to Bebel’s tipp (thank you so much for the link!), even tho I cannot even change the position of the seat as recommended, but I will see if the rest helps. VF I do change my position every few minutes, I’m not built to sit still, but I feel like my positions change from “crouchy cat” to “crooked snake” rather than from one “healthy” position to another. How do you still have a bum after sitting on that hard chair for years? :superbashfulcute:
Chris I feel you – I specifically looked for a chair that was in the category of “8 hours or more” when it comes to how long you should be sitting on it. That did not go as planned, they should recategorize the chair :x

Hm, I have no idea how to find out if a particular chair will work for me or not. I’ll see if the change of the position of my current chair will improve anything for now – other than that I’ll focus even more on my back in gym and keep my eyes open for any reviews of office chairs and I’ll drop by the more professional office furniture stores nearby.

Again, thank you so much for posting! If anybody has additional tipps and recommendations please do share!

I wish you all the best and a successful week,
Mel

5901 posts
+8 more
VF says

VF I do change my position every few minutes, I’m not built to sit still, but I feel like my positions change from “crouchy cat” to “crooked snake” rather than from one “healthy” position to another. How do you still have a bum after sitting on that hard chair for years? :superbashfulcute:

From what I observed, the non-cushion users do not sit in such a way to allow entire upper body weight to act sharply on bottom; doing so is not suitable for long time sitting. Force needs to be distributed in multiple points slightly (Example: lower-middle of back and also through thighs). From time to time, by slightly varying the slope of back, we can reduce/balance strain on various parts if any. All this can happen unintentionally if the chair has a good supporting shape and rigidity; the culprit that prevents this natural micro-activity is the springs and cushion attached to the chair. This is where I felt PVC chairs with smooth shapes as benefit.

Another point to consider is the level of keyboard/mouse and hand support on chair. For my body height, I found 25-26 inch from floor is the least strainful point. This helps to prevent strain on upper body, elbow and so the back too.

474 posts
  • Located in Austria
+1 more
iHelp says

From what I observed, the non-cushion users do not sit in such a way to allow entire upper body weight to act sharply on bottom; doing so is not suitable for long time sitting. Force needs to be distributed in multiple points slightly (Example: lower-middle of back and also through thighs). From time to time, by slightly varying the slope of back, we can reduce/balance strain on various parts if any. All this can happen unintentionally if the chair has a good supporting shape and rigidity; the culprit that prevents this natural activity is the springs and cushion attached to the chair. This is where I felt PVC chairs with smooth shapes as benefit. Another point to consider is the level of keyboard/mouse and hand support on chair. For my body height, I found 25-26 inch from floor is the least strainful point. This helps to prevent strain on upper body, elbow and so the back too.

The cushion point makes sense now that I think about it – most of the expensive chairs don’t have that extensive amount of fluff attached to them anyways, so that seems to make sense.

How tall are you? I’m 175cm, calculator says it’s 5.7 – or is it all about the 90° of the feet towards the floor? That seems to make sense for blood circulation purposes. Hand supporters are those things to the right and left of the chair, right? I suppose those should be at the height of the table.

Thanks again! Mel

5901 posts
+8 more
VF says

^ I am 168 cm and hand support level of ~25 inch work well. An extra 2 inch of hand support makes the entire setup inefficient. And yes, 90 degree feet angle is ideally what I get but in a 4-5 hours span, either I place one leg over the hand support of chair or just stretch both legs towards front and vary the point of stress on slightly different areas.

31 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
Brankic1979 says

All you guys with back problems – stand up, walk, do some simple shoulder/back/neck exercise every hour and get back to work.

No chair (not even Aeron or Steelcase Leap) won’t fix your problems (long term speaking)...

474 posts
  • Located in Austria
+1 more
iHelp says

All you guys with back problems – stand up, walk, do some simple shoulder/back/neck exercise every hour and get back to work. No chair (not even Aeron or Steelcase Leap) won’t fix your problems (long term speaking)...

Thank you for the feedback! I do think that a combination of a proper chair and regular relaxing/stretching would work best. I find it difficult to stretch/relax every hour for ten mins – since at the end of the day that means I will spend 1.5 hours more “working” than if I just worked through it. So that’s something I’ll need to get accustomed to.

Speaking of it – it’s time again! I’m gonna do some pull ups now :)

197 posts
  • Located in Canada
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+5 more
DanyDuchaine says

All you guys with back problems – stand up, walk, do some simple shoulder/back/neck exercise every hour and get back to work. No chair (not even Aeron or Steelcase Leap) won’t fix your problems (long term speaking)...

Exactly, 45-50 mins of walking/running/biking each day is what you guys need :) And it will make you even more productive because you will have more energy.

5342 posts
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Located in Canada
  • Joined us in one of our Envato Live Events
+12 more
KingDog Envato team says

Thank you for the feedback! I do think that a combination of a proper chair and regular relaxing/stretching would work best. I find it difficult to stretch/relax every hour for ten mins – since at the end of the day that means I will spend 1.5 hours more “working” than if I just worked through it. So that’s something I’ll need to get accustomed to.

Speaking of it – it’s time again! I’m gonna do some pull ups now :)

Tell me about it :)

I recently purchased a back massager that I’ll use if I’m feeling the onset of pain and it’s been working pretty well.

by
by
by
by
by
by