1048 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+6 more
survivor says

Uploadbox.com is closing too :)

VideoBB, VideoZer, FileJungle, UploadStation, FilePost will be closing too (this information comes from news in our country).

3 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
TreeLabs says
3749 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Located in Spain
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+9 more
pezflash says

P2P traffic will bump.

56 posts
  • Located in Europe
libra-online says

Filesonic too? Are you f’n kidding me. People from all over the world look at America as a “free” country. Look how free it is now. The only thing that this is going to do is get sites like The Pirate Bay more downloads and WAY more illegal content. That’s all that anti-piracy legislation has ever done. Also, I find it disgusting that a lot of the people on here are SUPPORTING this war against free websites. All you care about is your nice little PSD ’s distributed to people who would never have bought them anyways. All these sites do is bring you publicity, and that’s a GOOD thing. We in Canada aren’t safe either. Pretty soon the whole world will be a corrupted place with no internet. Is that what you want? Do you want to be in ten years selling your designs to people on USB ’s and have no forums where you can get feedback. Actually, you will be just another person living on the streets with your own mac-book pros. Then you’ll look back and remember the time you supported anti-piracy laws.

+1

some people are willing to trade freedom for some bucks. that is all that matters. some bucks. way to go

725 posts WordPress Ninja
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+8 more
TylerQuinn says

Not sad at all….

These sites make millions by stealing peoples hard work and offering incentives for others to do so as well.

I hope filesonic is next.

+1 for calling that :D

I do not think these sites being shut down or closing up shop is wrong at all. I find it funny that everywhere you read people are focusing on “freedom of speech” when there is gross misuse of the service. $500 million plus in copyright infringement? Offering affiliate / referral payout to people with an incentive to promote stolen material? These sites are being shut down because they were the rouge sites in the grey area looking to make the money before the opp was gone… Everyone in that content uploading ecosystem knew it was only a matter of time before the more shady of the service bunch shuttered.

No one has said anything about legitimate services like MediaFire still running perfectly fine with no need to worry. Why? Because they have established a long time stance on actively looking for and working with people to remove copyrighted content, and they are free meaning they are not offering money to people for uploading questionable content.

1286 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has collected more than 1000 items on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
graphic4444 says

I’ve had to waste countless hours sending DMCA takedown notices to the various filesharing sites, to stem the flow of piracy for my company’s products, this last 3 years. I’m glad to see many of them look to be shutting down.

Who else, other than people who want to pay to download copyrighted materials, really used these sites? 99%+ were likely illegitimate pirates and/or people downloading copyrighted materials.

I hope they all get shut down forever. Life on the internet was FINE before 2006, when all those sites started popping up.

499 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Canada
+2 more
TutelageSystems says

The only thing I miss about all of this is, MegaVideo. I pay $60 for regular television for my two children. I was always busy and never got to watch the few shows I actually like.

So I was paying $60 for children’s television and then I would use MegaVideo to catch up on all my television shows that I missed through out the year, I thought it was great as even the actual websites of the television shows do not host them all (some only the two most previous episodes).

7606 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

The only thing I miss about all of this is, MegaVideo. I pay $60 for regular television for my two children. I was always busy and never got to watch the few shows I actually like. So I was paying $60 for children’s television and then I would use MegaVideo to catch up on all my television shows that I missed through out the year, I thought it was great as even the actual websites of the television shows do not host them all (some only the two most previous episodes).

obvoiosly this is copyright theft if we apply the rules of our society today.

when you purchased the services of a regular television for your 60$ you got a package of shows at certain hours and for a fixed or variable rerun time in a month. You don’t get the rights to watch any of those particulars shows for how many times you desire, like how you get if you buy a dvd with one particular episode or show.

So paying a television to watch a show and then watch it again online or watch some episode that you have missed, is one side of that pirate behavior that suddenly had become a priority for US government.

You may think that you have already payed enough and you have all the rights to enjoy the product again in the future but you are wrong, you never purchased the rights to watch any of those shows but you have purchased instead only the air time of that television.

You had no rights to watch those shows again online with the current copyright laws.

meanwhile enjoy this link who presents the MEGABOX ! the service I was describing early in this thread and the real reason why megaupload and his owner had been eliminated.

A 90 % rate for the artist? When now an artist could make as low as 5% if they are represented by some music corporation? Also you get money for every free download your song make. How awesome is that?

What artist would have not taken this opportunity?

How much time would have pass till the big media corporations would have sited in an empty office with nothing to sell?

So they just called the government for help.

Problem solved. They still have something to sell next month.

499 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Canada
+2 more
TutelageSystems says

So would now a VCR (going a few years back :)) or a PVR be considered against the law because you are taping the show with out owning the rights to the show?

111 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+5 more
amardeep says

Not to worry… many more similar sites will pop up again! :D

by
by
by
by