64 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
Biggish says

I’m speechless, nothing you can do if the Boss said it’s allowed.. LOL :D

If you are talking about wp themes, check README_License.txt file which I’m sure included with all our themes.

... All other parts of the theme including, but not limited to the CSS code, images, and design are licensed according to the license purchased.

So, if buyer has right to change CSS , he has right to change everything in this file, I suppose. :)

P.S. just saw freshface replied the same :D

1478 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
+1 more
PixelBin says

First of all, if what you are saying was true of all things, we’d be in a world where Microsoft claims they developed and manufactured hardware (realistically manufactured by Intel, Kingston, NVIDIA , etc) simply because they run their software on it.

Second, I have mentioned this already but what really irks me is the fact that it’s not just a one man team who made themselves a site that won’t be seen by more than a thousand people. He is using my work to attract paying customers to his pathetic little design agency.

And on top of that, he claims to have developed it but yet he asks me for support? That is just irony at its best.

437 posts Don't be a HATER!
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Won a Competition
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
webinpixels says
If you are talking about wp themes, check README _License.txt file which I’m sure included with all our themes.

yes, Wp theme :)

/*
Theme Name: ....
Description: ...
Author: ...
Author URI : ....
Tags: ....
Version: ...
*/

yup guys, that make sense, but if he change the author name with his name (or his studio name, etc), then i just simply ignore him when he ask support from me, he is the author, so i think he should know how to fix any problem with the theme :D

252 posts
  • Sweden
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
graphic_dev says
I’m not going to put disclaimers haphazardly throughout my portfolio, that’s ridiculous. You guys get paid fairly for your work. It’s no different than a hip hop producer who purchases samples, buying the right to use it, and not having to mention every detail on the back of the album. Some listeners know where the sample was ripped from in a given song, some don’t. Is it then unfair to the listener of a Kanye West song to not be informed that they are actually listening to a loop of Steely Dan over and over with Kanye flapping his idiot gums over top? I say no…because they paid for the right to use it and even if this idiot only made 1 change to it, as much as I hate it (because I’m a real musician), it’s his song now.
It’s not the same thing imo. It is right for a producer to say that he produced a song, because that’s what he did. But it’s wrong to say that he made those samples.

Okay: Produced by MRPRODUCA Wrong: Sampling and producing by MRPRODUCA

Okay: Copyright 2010 THECOMPANY . Wrong: Designed and developed by THECOMPANY .

That being said; I will probably not mention it if a buyer takes credit for designing and developing my template. I would never ever do that myself and to be honest I think it’s pathetic, but whatever…it’s gonna happen sometimes…

252 posts
  • Sweden
  • Exclusive Author
graphic_dev says
Right on, we disagree. Just be warned, if I buy one of your themes and put upwards of 80 hours into like I usually do, my name goes in big bold at the bottom and that’s just the way it be ;) Cheers.
I really don’t mean to attack you here. But I would really like to see a site that you put 80 hours into (after buying a template). Mind sharing a link and the name of the used template/theme? Mostly out of curiosity.
548 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
tonvie says

Hi graphic,

Jeeze, I must really be working too hard or I’m really slow! I didn’t know that 10 regular 8 hour days was all that crazy. Is the thinking because I’ve got a template that the job got easier?

I don’t post direct links to my sites here for the simple reason I don’t want to get into a disagreement with someone and then find some blackhat stuff going on ;) I will give you an example though and you can tell me if I should find another line of work or not ;) I’m not being sarcastic either :)

How long should it take to create an online baby products store with 200 products, descriptions, photos, gallery, 30 or so static pages, changes, updates, working through bugs? I dunno…from implementation to testing to go live took me 2 weeks of solid work with wordpress and a template.

I guess more importantly can you show me a fully featured e-commerce site that you feel should be able to be completed in a few days? Hook me up, seriously I’m doing something wrong.

252 posts
  • Sweden
  • Exclusive Author
graphic_dev says
Hi graphic,

Jeeze, I must really be working too hard or I’m really slow! I didn’t know that 10 regular 8 hour days was all that crazy. Is the thinking because I’ve got a template that the job got easier?

I don’t post direct links to my sites here for the simple reason I don’t want to get into a disagreement with someone and then find some blackhat stuff going on ;) I will give you an example though and you can tell me if I should find another line of work or not ;) I’m not being sarcastic either :)

How long should it take to create an online baby products store with 200 products, descriptions, photos, gallery, 30 or so static pages, changes, updates, working through bugs? I dunno…from implementation to testing to go live took me 2 weeks of solid work with wordpress and a template.

I guess more importantly can you show me a fully featured e-commerce site that you feel should be able to be completed in a few days? Hook me up, seriously I’m doing something wrong.
Hey,

First of all, I’m new at developing templates/themes. I’m actually working on my first. 80 hours of work for the job you described above sounds about right for me. I was thinking on a more avarage-ish theme with pretty simple company information+blog etc.

That’s why I was curious. Again, it was not an attempt to “attack” you.

23 posts
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • United States
booktalk2008 says
Right on, we disagree. Just be warned, if I buy one of your themes and put upwards of 80 hours into like I usually do, my name goes in big bold at the bottom and that’s just the way it be ;) Cheers.
I really don’t mean to attack you here. But I would really like to see a site that you put 80 hours into (after buying a template). Mind sharing a link and the name of the used template/theme? Mostly out of curiosity.

LOL , I just completed a site using a WP theme and we billed 87 hours +15 hours for graphics.

Total: 102 hours

548 posts
tonvie says

No problem, I didn’t feel attacked :)

Thanks for confirming that 80 hours isn’t crazy for that because up til now I thought I was doing pretty good lol.

Hey guys, after today, I don’t even know what to think anymore. People call me every day wanting the world for 700.00 dollars and then this…

I quoted someone 6000.00 today for a site redesign which I already thought was too much but what the heck right?

She then told me the cheapest quote they had gotten was 50,000.00.

I felt like crawling away from the table. I suppose if a big company wants a 30 page proposal and a team of 4 just to do a REDESIGN of a 30 page static website so be it…I guess I’m not thinking big enough!

548 posts
tonvie says

@AlexPascal

I’m with you on the semantics. But again, I support his RIGHT to be a shmuck.

Yes, I think we can all agree the best practice would be a simple ‘Copyright 2010 Company XYZ ’.

Indeed, this is what I have done with my own site.

I think in moments of laziness I’ve also simply replaced the ‘powered by wordpress’ with ‘powered by company xyz’. I don’t think WP has a lock on that phrase and I don’t think there’s anything misleading about a statement like that…if you want to get technical about it, the website is powered by your hosting company, then by Apache and PHP lol.

by
by
by
by
by
by