PatrickAThompson Recent Posts Threads Started
144 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • United States
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
PatrickAThompson says

I do my best to not complain much on here… but it seems that I’m not the only one who is dealing with this frustrating rating system. By all means, keep us producers\composers in check and accountable for maintaining an exceptional library… but it seems there is confusion on how the starts work.. There are too many variables… and one wrong click can completely shut down the sales of a single track.

On AJ, there is no logic behind the idea that someone would purchase a track if they hate it enough to give it 1-3 stars. It just doesn’t make sense.

The very day that my stars on my profile dipped below 5, my sales dropped—instantly. By all means, if there was something WRONG with the track (something that was missed by the reviewers – which is unlikely), give us the chance to fix it, or at least understand why there’s a low rating.

It also may be that the buyer decided that (after purchase), the track wasn’t a good fit for their project… which shouldn’t reflect on the composer..

There are simply too many variables for this current rating system to be effective or accurate.

Please – PLEASE – devise a new way of ratings. Again – I’m in full support of keeping contributors honest and maintaining a top-notch library… but I think there’s a better way.

Thank you, AJ, for all you guys do! Let’s quickly get this thing going in the right direction.

PatrickAThompson
PatrickAThompson Recent Posts Threads Started
144 posts
  • United States
PatrickAThompson says

Also… one more thing:

Anyone who has worked in customer relations knows that the overwhelming majority of customer\manager interactions comes when there is a problem. I’d wager that 97% of customers who receive outstanding service don’t bother to commend the company\managers.

This is also the case on AJ.

If – for whatever reason – someone is unhappy, they run right to the rating stars… If they’re thrilled about their track, most just move on to work on their project.

For example: As of writing this, I’ve made 117 sales. Yet, 101 of those buyers did not rate their tracks…. And 7 of those 117 buyers have ranked a track under 5 stars. Perhaps I deserve it… Perhaps I don’t…. Who knows? But those 7 ratings out of a possible 117 have pushed my overall portfolio ranking to 4 stars.

I know I don’t have an Emmy-winning portfolio… but it’s good enough to make 117 sales in 4 months.

If we can’t reconstruct the entire rating system, can we at least make the rating mandatory?

Just my 2.3 cents… Thanks for letting me ramble :)

533 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sweden
Synchrotron says

I’d suggest removing the ratings all together. No one benefits from them. If you’re after popular tracks as a buyer you can simply choose to sort songs by sales.

771 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
StudioEtude says

+100
The current rating – slows earnings not only for writers, but for AJ

677 posts
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Poland
FxProSound says

Rating should not be so exposed so much, because it’s gives nothing to a buyer. 3 star rated things are not worse than 5 star rated. I can only understand weak ratings in SFX cathegory where buyer can’t download a preview file (that’s very annoying). Sometimes sound effect may not match as well as it has looked before buying.

14 posts
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Germany
alicehive says

Good idea! The rating seemed always useless to me. It shouldn’t hurt people’s sales.

25 posts
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Argentina
Leo_Artaza says

You guys are jealous cause you don’t have 5 stars mwahahaha..

Lol just kidding of course, I’m with you, it really makes no sense.

1545 posts
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • United Kingdom
SoundFix says

Also… one more thing:

Anyone who has worked in customer relations knows that the overwhelming majority of customer\manager interactions comes when there is a problem. I’d wager that 97% of customers who receive outstanding service don’t bother to commend the company\managers.

This is also the case on AJ.

If – for whatever reason – someone is unhappy, they run right to the rating stars… If they’re thrilled about their track, most just move on to work on their project.

For example: As of writing this, I’ve made 117 sales. Yet, 101 of those buyers did not rate their tracks…. And 7 of those 117 buyers have ranked a track under 5 stars. Perhaps I deserve it… Perhaps I don’t…. Who knows? But those 7 ratings out of a possible 117 have pushed my overall portfolio ranking to 4 stars.

I know I don’t have an Emmy-winning portfolio… but it’s good enough to make 117 sales in 4 months.

If we can’t reconstruct the entire rating system, can we at least make the rating mandatory?

Just my 2.3 cents… Thanks for letting me ramble :)

+1,000,000 to ‘make the rating mandatory’

That’s a really good idea, so when they buy, they can’t download their purchase before rating. For example, ‘Before you can download your purchase, you must simply give it a star rating out of 5’

No hassle at all for the buyer to do this, if it’s right there in front of them, full screen, I’m sure they wouldn’t say ‘nahh, not buying, I don’t want to click one more time’

290 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • United States
SchwartzSound says

+1,000,000 to ‘make the rating mandatory’

That’s a really good idea, so when they buy, they can’t download their purchase before rating. For example, ‘Before you can download your purchase, you must simply give it a star rating out of 5’

No hassle at all for the buyer to do this, if it’s right there in front of them, full screen, I’m sure they wouldn’t say ‘nahh, not buying, I don’t want to click one more time’

Well I don’t think rating before downloading would really work, that seems a bit backwards to me. That’s like requiring a restaurant critic to rate the food before they’ve tasted it.

But I do agree there’s nothing more frustrating than a low star rating without having a transparent reason for the apparent shortcomings of the item. The maddening thing is that I’ve never had anyone contact me as the author with any issues or asking for support, or edits, etc. (which I always encourage in my item downloads) before getting a seemingly random low rating. Nor have I ever seen questions or requests for help in any other author’s item comment section, which you see all the time on other marketplaces like VH or TF, where perhaps the current rating system makes a little more sense, or at least there’s more “hidden” aspects to rate such as project organization, tutorials, etc.

As for AJ, I say scrap the stars.

by
by
by
by
by
by