• Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
Smartik says

As the title says, it’s over. The era where we could see beautifull designed themes, with pixel-perfect graphics, good typography and with a standard spacing between elements, ended.

Now looks like everyone tries to create themes that combine more than one layout, allows to customize every element and the SEO is on the last row. Seriously, I admire the effort of authors to create multi-purpose themes, but you should think about optimization. Do not include everything you find on internet, dozens of CSS and JS files that are just useless.

I’ve noticed that some of these themes, features different layouts that if they would have to be submited separatelly, as a single theme, 80% of them would be hard rejected. Some of them are just ridiculous and you can find free themes that looks 10 times better than that.

Now we have a new ThemeForest trend. Multi-purpose themes with unlimited skin variations.

I’m done.

580 posts Don't be so humble - you are not that great.
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Portugal
plusquare says

Subscribe entirely, I think themeforest should elevate the spark a little bit in terms of usability check outs. Review themes on mobile for example? It’s really crucial nowadays and it’s something I think reviewers don’t look at.

23 posts
  • Europe
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
Themes1 says

Totally agree with you. Question is, do you go with the flow or resist :)

905 posts
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Beta Tester
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
+1 more
greenline says

I never buy multipurpose themes just because they include so many things all together that it becomes very difficult to separate and delete things that I don’t need in the website. I always prefer specific themes, suited for a specific purpose.

I think multipurpose themes are preferred by web agencies because they get this way more themes at a lower price than buying separate themes.

3189 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
organicbee says

I get the reasoning behind some of these multipurpose themes, and I guess there is a need for them in some case, someone wanting to create there own custom site without a larger budget for example.

Now I’ve worked with a lot of themes here freelancing, and the one thing that kills me is some of the features always are loaded scripts/css everything no matter what “options” are selected. I had to do some work for a company that had hired someone using a theme from here and I counted 52 different scripts files being loaded, 28 css files. At first I just figured the said freelancer they hired just didn’t have a clue. Nope checked the theme on here and loaded just as many scripts, the sad part is some of theme were “demo” css from tutorials/example files (like the extra stuff to style the demo pages not used by the plugins at all )

They should run some type of performance opt testing for accepted themes. Most the time stuff could be fixed with a if statement and good caching.

1362 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Slovenia
Anps says

Agree, with the latest update from you know who huh… competition killer… i am all up from multi-purpose, but this is going to far, few things need to change, and we all know and will repeat them.

Advance filtering system

Drastic price increase for those humangus themes, i mean huge it has to make a difference to convince people to go to simpler themes.

Stop pointing everything to most popular page.

But we all know this will not happen. I will still sell here but already started looking for alternatives. Since nothing will change.

Cheers

322 posts Design Innovation
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
designova says

Agree, with the latest update from you know who huh… competition killer… i am all up from multi-purpose, but this is going to far, few things need to change, and we all know and will repeat them.

Advance filtering system

Drastic price increase for those humangus themes, i mean huge it has to make a difference to convince people to go to simpler themes.

Stop pointing everything to most popular page.

But we all know this will not happen. I will still sell here but already started looking for alternatives. Since nothing will change.

Cheers

Well said. True.

405 posts Code Is Poetry
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Europe
+3 more
gljivec says

Couldnt’t agree more Anps about the pricing. It doesn’t make any sense at all that multipurpose Theme with 10 different skins and unlimited amount of features has the same price as a simple (normal) Theme.

142 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
onioneye says

Because quality does not equal quantity. In other words, just adding features should not drive the price up.

Please do not confuse quality software with one crammed with features. Anyone can make bloatware.

Couldnt’t agree more Anps about the pricing. It doesn’t make any sense at all that multipurpose Theme with 10 different skins and unlimited amount of features has the same price as a simple (normal) Theme.
205 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Exclusive Author
themeflame says

I was going to give a super long reply explaining why’s and why not’s but then I realized it would fit better if I just said: Demand & Supply.

It tore my heart apart having to ruin Zephyr with lots of features that nobody really used just to sell some copies.

I agree with you guys, but you’ll never be able to change he customer’s points of view on what is good and what isn’t. Everytime I make a theme, I always want to add as much as possible, even tho I hate it aswell, just to cover more needs in order to generate more sales and therefore destroy good looking/working themes :/

I wish you all good luck and keep on rockin’ :)

by
by
by
by
by
by