1135 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
Smartik says

As the title says, it’s over. The era where we could see beautifull designed themes, with pixel-perfect graphics, good typography and with a standard spacing between elements, ended.

Now looks like everyone tries to create themes that combine more than one layout, allows to customize every element and the SEO is on the last row. Seriously, I admire the effort of authors to create multi-purpose themes, but you should think about optimization. Do not include everything you find on internet, dozens of CSS and JS files that are just useless.

I’ve noticed that some of these themes, features different layouts that if they would have to be submited separatelly, as a single theme, 80% of them would be hard rejected. Some of them are just ridiculous and you can find free themes that looks 10 times better than that.

Now we have a new ThemeForest trend. Multi-purpose themes with unlimited skin variations.

I’m done.

588 posts Don't be so humble - you are not that great.
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+4 more
plusquare says

Subscribe entirely, I think themeforest should elevate the spark a little bit in terms of usability check outs. Review themes on mobile for example? It’s really crucial nowadays and it’s something I think reviewers don’t look at.

30 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+2 more
Themes1 says

Totally agree with you. Question is, do you go with the flow or resist :)

1002 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Contributed a free file of the month
+6 more
greenline says

I never buy multipurpose themes just because they include so many things all together that it becomes very difficult to separate and delete things that I don’t need in the website. I always prefer specific themes, suited for a specific purpose.

I think multipurpose themes are preferred by web agencies because they get this way more themes at a lower price than buying separate themes.

3229 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+1 more
organicbee says

I get the reasoning behind some of these multipurpose themes, and I guess there is a need for them in some case, someone wanting to create there own custom site without a larger budget for example.

Now I’ve worked with a lot of themes here freelancing, and the one thing that kills me is some of the features always are loaded scripts/css everything no matter what “options” are selected. I had to do some work for a company that had hired someone using a theme from here and I counted 52 different scripts files being loaded, 28 css files. At first I just figured the said freelancer they hired just didn’t have a clue. Nope checked the theme on here and loaded just as many scripts, the sad part is some of theme were “demo” css from tutorials/example files (like the extra stuff to style the demo pages not used by the plugins at all )

They should run some type of performance opt testing for accepted themes. Most the time stuff could be fixed with a if statement and good caching.

1461 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
Anps says

Agree, with the latest update from you know who huh… competition killer… i am all up from multi-purpose, but this is going to far, few things need to change, and we all know and will repeat them.

Advance filtering system

Drastic price increase for those humangus themes, i mean huge it has to make a difference to convince people to go to simpler themes.

Stop pointing everything to most popular page.

But we all know this will not happen. I will still sell here but already started looking for alternatives. Since nothing will change.

Cheers

364 posts Design Innovation
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+4 more
designova says

Agree, with the latest update from you know who huh… competition killer… i am all up from multi-purpose, but this is going to far, few things need to change, and we all know and will repeat them.

Advance filtering system

Drastic price increase for those humangus themes, i mean huge it has to make a difference to convince people to go to simpler themes.

Stop pointing everything to most popular page.

But we all know this will not happen. I will still sell here but already started looking for alternatives. Since nothing will change.

Cheers

Well said. True.

414 posts Code Is Poetry
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+8 more
gljivec says

Couldnt’t agree more Anps about the pricing. It doesn’t make any sense at all that multipurpose Theme with 10 different skins and unlimited amount of features has the same price as a simple (normal) Theme.

157 posts
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+3 more
onioneye says

Because quality does not equal quantity. In other words, just adding features should not drive the price up.

Please do not confuse quality software with one crammed with features. Anyone can make bloatware.

Couldnt’t agree more Anps about the pricing. It doesn’t make any sense at all that multipurpose Theme with 10 different skins and unlimited amount of features has the same price as a simple (normal) Theme.
250 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
+1 more
themeflame says

I was going to give a super long reply explaining why’s and why not’s but then I realized it would fit better if I just said: Demand & Supply.

It tore my heart apart having to ruin Zephyr with lots of features that nobody really used just to sell some copies.

I agree with you guys, but you’ll never be able to change he customer’s points of view on what is good and what isn’t. Everytime I make a theme, I always want to add as much as possible, even tho I hate it aswell, just to cover more needs in order to generate more sales and therefore destroy good looking/working themes :/

I wish you all good luck and keep on rockin’ :)

by
by
by
by
by
by