• Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Australia
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
visualkicks says

Quality design will always win out in the long run and quality design is both efficient and consistent. Does it work fast? Does it work fast every time under any circumstance? Thats real design and it’s what the OPs talking about :)

I still think there is room for themes that are not bloat ware. My top seller doesn’t even have a Lightbox or home page template and the installable.zip is just over 500kb (less if i didn’t include the uncompressed scripts for developers to use). While that theme is super customisable in regards to the base layout, it only has a single focus.

At the end of the day, I’m not going to build something that isn’t efficient or consistent. I’ve had numerous people tell me to add page builders, sliders, light boxes, more short codes, more templates etc. I tell those people that the theme is not a multiple purpose template and adding those elements wont be beneficial to the main focus. Most people understand that, my rating shows it.

Designers & developers are the deciders of compromise. You should either go all out and create a god theme or bring it back and actually create something wonderfully genius. Both are hard to pull off and the majority simply get stuck somewhere in the middle.

And for the record I do intend to make a god theme one day… when themeforest.net up the price of said themes to about 120 – 150 :)

4515 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

I think it’s strange that Envato can’t see that files that are selling consistently between 300 – 1000 sales a week, over months on end might possibly be under priced for the value of the item itself.

It also follows that a price increase on these items would mean more income for Envato. But instead the top slots of the popular page start collecting mega themes and are far better value for money than your standard theme that is approved, so of course they will keep selling which creates a monopoly effect. So we should really ask ourselves is this a fair competitive system because the only way to top a mega theme is to make a mega-mega theme, and then over time the situation just escalates. Is this what authors really want to create to be competitive.. and are these really the type of themes buyers want?

471 posts (-_-(-_-(-_-)-_-)-_-)
  • Elite Author
  • Mongolia
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Beta Tester
Themewaves says

Just wondering about the pricing.

1: Normal Wordpress Theme 30-35$

2: Custom built Pagebuilder 40$

3: Premium Slider integrated 45-50$

4: Advanced plugin Compatible (Woocommerce & Buddypress, BBpress) 55-60$

5: Multiwebsite Layout theme 100-150$

Normal themes and multipurpose layout themes must be different price. What do you think guys?

2178 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Won a Competition
+10 more
mpc Volunteer moderator says

Hello, here are my 2 cents. I haven’t read all the comments but I get the idea and I also agree. As DS said this is about money for the value. For me the only solution is to increase the price on the Multi-purpose themes (on those that deserve it). We have joined the trend of multi-purpose giant themes but I would prefer to make simple specific themes.

Multi-purpose themes are a nightmare, a lot of work to make them, pain to support them and develop further but this is how the market looks nowadays.

In few months we will probably see a trend of “buy one and get one free” or “buy now and get one feature request for free”. The truth is authors are competing to give more and more for the same value…

:(

1375 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Slovenia
Anps says

Yup with these heavy multi-purpose themes are the new level of price dumping :)

142 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
onioneye says

Just 1 question: How come they call their themes an easy-to-use with all those monstrous options?

Because the customers want to hear that. Would they buy it if you told them that you have 1000 options and by combining them you can get 1 million design variations, but you would have to work a month to do so?

So (some) authors are basically deceiving their clients, or should I say lying? Well, that’s just wonderful, isn’t it? And yet you see a bunch of them complaining about the buyers, and how they are the ones setting the trends of multi-purpose themes, when it actually seems like authors themselves are to blame for this.

I believe that this whole trend was started by the authors, to make the end-users believe that they are getting more bang for their buck, and therefore, to rise above the competition. A few years back, you could mostly see developers buying themes, but now there is an ever-growing influx of end-users on the market, who don’t know much/anything about websites, and who could easily be fooled by making them believe that they are getting great value for the amount of money they are paying for a theme which does nearly everything under the sun, when the reality could very well be the opposite, given how much of these themes are just bad, bloated software.

4515 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

I believe that this whole trend was started by the authors, to make the end-users believe that they are getting more bang for their buck, and therefore, to rise above the competition.

The trend exists because of the platform itself, so it is Envato which sets the trend. If heavy multi-purpose themes were priced say $100, it would balance things out. If buyers wanted a heavy theme, they would understand it would cost more. If they wanted a lighter theme, it would be cheaper. But with the current price caps it turns out it’s more profitable and competitive to have feature packed heavy themes, so naturally authors have picked up on this and have followed the trend, and then buyers will naturally follow along too.

142 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
onioneye says

I agree the way the marketplace is built is contributing to the trend, given that the majority of the buyers gravitate towards the popular section, where most of the themes are multi-purpose. However, to say that Envato started this trend is downright silly. We are the ones building themes, so we had to be the ones who actually started the whole multi-purpose craziness, to give the customer a perception of better value for one’s money, which is what clients want, don’t they? However, the problem appears when this perception is wrong because most of the multi-purpose themes I see don’t offer better quality, and even go against basic principles of what a good website should be, just for the sake of selling more copies.

Having said all that, why would you increase the price of such products when most of them are actually not better than the themes that don’t try to do everything under the sun? In fact, most of the time, more “focused” themes are much better in terms of quality, so I just don’t see the logic behind all this.

I believe that this whole trend was started by the authors, to make the end-users believe that they are getting more bang for their buck, and therefore, to rise above the competition.

The trend exists because of the platform itself, so it is Envato which sets the trend. If heavy multi-purpose themes were priced say $100, it would balance things out. If buyers wanted a heavy theme, they would understand it would cost more. If they wanted a lighter theme, it would be cheaper. But with the current price caps it turns out it’s more profitable and competitive to have feature packed heavy themes, so naturally authors have picked up on this and have followed the trend, and then buyers will naturally follow along too.

Generally speaking buyers want a good deal (who doesn’t), there are a huge amount of files here, and they naturally gravitate to the popular sections and they see the top items which have a huge amount of options and are good value for money – much cheaper than anything else they will find on-line, and then they buy those items. The trend will only change once the platform itself changes, and neither authors or buyers can change this trend unless Envato does so.
5767 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

So this is inevitable, because neither authors nor reviewers will aware if certain amount of additions will result in sales improvement. To the contrary, when a trend set completely to the point that only highly packed items can make decent sales, then finding a distinct segregation in price isn’t easy or guaranteed task. So then comes the inevitable scheme of “minimal feature items to highly packed items” both residing at same category / same price. Separating those at “some point of time” will never happen.

4515 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

I agree the way the marketplace is built is contributing to the trend, given that the majority of the buyers gravitate towards the popular section, where most of the themes are multi-purpose. However, to say that Envato started this trend is downright silly. We are the ones building themes, so we had to be the ones who actually started the whole multi-purpose craziness, to give the customer a perception of better value for one’s money, which is what clients want, don’t they?

Authors make what ever sells better… if lighter themes sold the best, more authors would make them… if making heavy multi-purpose themes wasn’t worth the time, authors would stop making them.

If everyone stopped making multi-purpose themes – all the current top multi-purpose themes would continue to sell ;) So authors can’t stop this trend, buyers want value for money.

by
by
by
by
by
by