43 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
djmceltic says

I am sure there are a lot of authors out there who do a great job creating their theme but I am giving themeforest one last try and then I am out permanently. I have bought maybe 20 themes from other sites and had an issue with 2-3 out of the 20.

Here I buy something and all the theme can do is recreate the demo. Really really getting tired of being a beta tester for authors. I have bought one good working theme here, been refunded on two that don’t work, bought another that has to be updated almost purely on shortcodes (fails to mention this before you buy), and now my last one can’t even handle multiple images in a post and breaks if you go beyond one level of categories (couldn’t see these issues in demo).

What do I need to do to not have this happen over and over? The authors I am buying from are “elite”. Envato tells me to contact the author… I don’t feel like contacting the author and waiting 2 months for him to make changes. What is the norm? What are the expectations of a theme? What does a user do if a theme doesn’t meet the lowest level of expectations?

I buy tons of stuff from code canyon... never had issues like I do at themeforest... I think the approvers just look at the demo and if it looks cool... send it through.
126 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
matt5409 says

If something is not demonstrated in the demo, don’t expect it to work when you buy. After you buy, you should contact the author for custom development. They will either take your request into consideration and add it in the next release (so you wait) or do it immediately for an hourly rate.

In either case, I don’t honestly think you can complain because a theme doesn’t do EVERYTHING you want, especially at these prices.

Definite bugs/errors on the other hand… that is entirely the fault of the author.

43 posts
djmceltic says

Matt – If that attitude happens to be the case then I am done with themeforest.

I have basic expectations… 1. Menus should work with WP menu system. 2. Featured image should show what the post shows in the admin section. 3. There should be some sore of truncation of the post when you are not drilled down on the post. 4. You should be able to add widgets to homepage, sidebar, footer—if the theme says it is widget ready. 5. WP Menus lay out correctly when going to 2nd, 3rd levels… 6. Images of different size don’t break the screen.

I know that people have the own ideas of bottom barrel features a theme should have. Why the hell would I buy another theme here if these aren’t met and they are met in free themes?

And to your point about the demos. A lot of demos seem to be created to work around author bugs/issues. I am not looking for anything magic or special, I just want very basic use.

1243 posts
  • Provided great contribution to our forums
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+6 more
Smartik says

I have basic expectations… 1. Menus should work with WP menu system. 2. Featured image should show what the post shows in the admin section. 3. There should be some sore of truncation of the post when you are not drilled down on the post. 4. You should be able to add widgets to homepage, sidebar, footer—if the theme says it is widget ready. 5. WP Menus lay out correctly when going to 2nd, 3rd levels… 6. Images of different size don’t break the screen.
I haven’t seen themes which don’t have this. I’m an author here and at the same time a buyer. I bought about 10 themes(+ bundles) and all these work great. No problems, sometime if I want a custom feature I do it myself(yes if you want productivity, you need to understand Wordpress and not expect to have all done automatically).

Again. Most themes on TF use WP menus and these menus support min. 2 levels, use build-in featured image system and widgets for sidebars and footer.

So, if a theme have defined sidebars where you can add widgets, then this theme is widgetized and there is no requirements for widget support on homepage, post or footer to call it so.

Regards.

4392 posts Community Mod Building awesome stuff for your mobile devices!
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+14 more
Enabled Moderator says

I haven’t seen themes which don’t have this. I’m an author here and at the same time a buyer. I bought about 10 themes(+ bundles) and all these work great. No problems, sometime if I want a custom feature I do it myself(yes if you want productivity, you need to understand Wordpress and not expect to have all done automatically).

Again. Most themes on TF use WP menus and these menus support min. 2 levels, use build-in featured image system and widgets for sidebars and footer.

So, if a theme have defined sidebars where you can add widgets, then this theme is widgetized and there is no requirements for widget support on homepage, post or footer to call it so.

Regards.

I’ve edited your post. ;)

43 posts
djmceltic says

And I am not knocking the talent on themeforest at all or the value. I know that there is a ton of great stuff done here and you can get things relatively cheap.

The problem is that it is that you don’t know what you are getting at all with most themes and it doesn’t seem that envato cares that bad themes are out there. I got a refund on a theme that clearly didn’t work… it is still for sale. It is more about the time and expectations than money. I have clients who pick out a theme. They blame me when it doesn’t work because I am there and the theme author is where ever. So I spend time getting it to work (basically for free) or I tell client that the theme sucks so we pick another… They are pissed because they are getting something that is their 2nd choice. It is a bad situation.

Maybe a 24 hour test drive or something like that… Or author sets up admin panels for serious buyers so they can add a few things and make sure things work…

43 posts
djmceltic says

Regards.

OK – Here are my last three buys.

[edited] – This theme isn’t actually that bad as far as main functionality… but the entire purpose of the theme is the “love” feature (liking a post) and this feature by the author’s admission doesn’t work.

[edited] – After I bought it I realized entire theme is written in shortcode—there is no where in the prebuying information that mentions this. Author says “this provides flexibility”. No [cheese] . I might as well just write the pages in HTML . It says it is well documented. The documentation is how to install WP and the demo.

[edited] – I really like the look of the theme and it is wide. It can’t handle more than one level of categories, it doesn’t truncate posts on index or cat view (I see the ENTIRE freaking post), featured image isn’t working right, slider it has doesn’t load images right so you are looking at a blank screen half the time, slider doesn’t load images from post as promised… But everything looks kosher on demo…

Again not looking for custom things. I have used WP since the first version and can do the customizing. But I am not going to “fix” basic theme issues. First it takes time. Second I have fixed basic issues before, then I update theme and have to fix a new set of issues or maybe same issue.

82 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+7 more
mikemcalister says

Hey djmceltic, As I said on your comment on Author, I’ve submitted a fix for the category menus. They don’t approve updates immediately, so you’ll have to wait until it’s approved.

I removed the auto truncating of posts on index on purpose. I’ve found that many users end up asking me how to remove that, so I’ve removed it by default. If you want to truncate your posts, you can either use the More tag or slightly modify the code.

You can simply change line 107 from

<?php if(is_search()) { ?> to <?php if(is_search() || is_archive()) { ?>

From what I can tell, you haven’t even signed up for the forum yet to post your possible issues. That’s where support is handled. The comments are for comments!

Your comments also hint that you’re using NextGen gallery plugin, which isn’t part of the theme or required for use with Author. Just like all theme authors, we can’t guarantee all plugins will work with the theme, this one included. The theme has several gallery like features built in, and if you’re using them correctly, you wouldn’t need that gallery plugin. Again, I don’t know if you’re using Author correctly because you haven’t signed up for the forum. NextGen could be breaking the entire theme for all I know.

http://okaythemes.com/support

Mike

43 posts
djmceltic says

Mike – I like the look of your theme. I want to use it. You act like I want to complain. The theme is no where ready to be used for a site.

I have a client who expects their site to be done by end of week.

Your slider doesn’t work right (loading issues, size issues) or as promised (adding pictures to post doesn’t put them in a slider).

The subcategories don’t work.

The truncation isn’t there—please tell me who doesn’t want their posts truncated on the homepage. Also you should have had a very long post in your demo so that a buyer could see this silly issue.

The NextGen plugin does work. I see the image on the admin page. I see the image referenced in the WP database. I don’t see the image on the post. WP is handling the image right, your theme isn’t.

What I ask is—what am I paying for? You have a pretty minimal theme. It has issues… So what am I paying for that I can’t get in a free theme???

415 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Located in Europe
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
osigrandi says

@djmceltic: You make a very good point and you haven’t been the only one.

Fellow authors, you need to learn more about Quality Assurance / how to properly test your themes. Think of all the work you could save yourself by not releasing X updates with bugfixes, not to mention happy customers, great reputation and reviews.

Also, some of the newer authors seem to like to sabotage themselves from the beginning by not cross-browser testing even their demo.

by
by
by
by
by
by