82 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+7 more
mikemcalister says

1) Your client deadlines are not my client deadlines.

2) Update has been submitted for the sub-categories, as stated many times.

3) I told you who doesn’t want auto-truncation and gave you advice and code to fix it. Use it or don’t.

4) Even if the NextGen plugin works, it may be interfering with the rest of the theme. Try deactivating it and setting up the theme just like in the video before modifying it.

5) You’re paying for a well designed, well coded theme. How you’re setting it up and using it is another story. I couldn’t possibly know because you haven’t tried to actually get help with it, other than leaving many vague, negative messages across the Envato network.

6) You can surely ask for a refund. You’ll have to chat with Envato support.

3007 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+7 more
duotive says

Code canyon items are just parts of code ( most of them ) A theme is a complex ecosystem, that needs to be tested, i personally test our themes, but i cannot compute 100s of permutations that customers can do, so bugs may occur. Just out of curiosity, did you buy one of our themes?

42 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
djmceltic says

@Duotive… actually a friend has your theme (v3) and I have tested it out on a few of my dummy sites to see how it would do… Worked great. I am buying v4 or v5.

I understand there are TONS of things that people want to do with themes. It is hard for me to start coding and doing those things when I don’t have even basic WP functionality. I am very disappointed that authors are releasing themes with tons of bugs and then mentioning things that should be part of the demo after the fact. I mean seriously do I have to wait to have subcats and truncating turned on.

Please just one person reply that wants truncating turned off on their homepage… My homepage could literally be 40 screens long (especially since the attached images show in the post and not the author’s flexslider as promised).

Just retarded crap like this. I am doing a fresh install right now on my laptop so I can make sure it has nothing to do with NextGen (which I have used for 3 years on 40+ sites and have never had it interfere).

And I do understand that authors have to deal with some major dumb@sses that can barely install WP. But they can’t talk down to people when those people can code just as good as them or better. I could spend two days fixing Mike’s issue in the Author theme… But that isn’t what I paid for. This whole process is a time waster.

42 posts
djmceltic says

Fresh install of WP on laptop, no NextGen, loaded all images from native WP library – same exact issues with the slider. Thank you for wasting another hour of my time Mike – good luck with your Author theme!

“Your client deadlines are not my client deadlines.” Great attitude man. Exact same kind of attitude that makes you throw out a theme not ready so you start making a little extra $$$. Also please tell me how people were using this theme and non of them had subcategories???? Totally ridiculous.

Also since you don’t have truncating on why don’t you add a long post to your demo so people can get the whole experience of a “well coded theme”.

3007 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+7 more
duotive says

@djmceltic :) okey.. if you want wait for 5 :) you will enjoy :D

and we had bugs too :) so do not think that all themes are perfect. the more features the theme has the more issues it can have :) but we fix them as soon as the come out in the sun :) i think that it the way it should work. so leave mike to make an update :D

415 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Located in Europe
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
osigrandi says

@djmceltic Get in touch, I’ll try to help you out, no charge, just don’t leave TF :) Leave a message here after/if you message me so I know to check my email.

407 posts
  • Located in Europe
PaddyTaylor says

Firstly – I tohught we were not supposed to call out theme or user names here? Second while we do not have the file mentioned above we do have a different file from that author and it is faultless and v easy to work with.

Let me be clear I am not taking sides here but granted there are probably files that have bugs on here, it is fair to say that many custom builds do also initially and even more in most free themes Also (and I am not saying this is the case with the situation here) I am certain that a selection of “bugs” that users find on installation are self inflicted from not reading the documentation properly etc.

I don’t really think you can compare themes here to freebies. I am yet to see very many free themes that can do half the stuff the themes on here can. Also I would challenge anyone to finda developer who would be prepared to code any theme let alone one with the functionality of many of the themes here for less that the price you pay i.e. less than $50.

As for the themes and their demos – if you see it in the demo then surely it will work after purchase if the XML file is installed properly. If there are things that “Don’t look right” or seem not to be there or that you are unsure of pre purchase then that is what the item forum is for – to ask right?

Again I am not attacking what anyone has said and it is v unfortunate that some people have bad experiences but I am also confident that the majority of cases do not end up this way and that Envato do check the files properly. Given how many they get sent and the detail many go into I think it is fair to allow a few missed things.

I hope that you get your situation resolved and have better experiences her ein the future.

42 posts
djmceltic says

@duo

Your themes are loaded with stuff. There is no way in the world that I would expect everything to work perfectly or I would expect to pay 500 not 50.

[Edited] theme is different. There is really nothing to it. A client liked the look of the menus and that it was wide. My expectation is that I was getting a page layout and I would spend a lot of time adding plugins I liked. But I can’t even produce a menu or a post… There is nothing else to the theme. Like the only usable thing in the theme is the archive page haha. Not trying to be mean but he is putting his crap up for sale along with yours. If I demo’ed his theme I wouldn’t even keep it in my free theme folder – yours should probably get you more than $50.

That is why I mentioned earlier that there should be more than one level of themes.  If my expectations are that I am getting something close to a free theme with a cool page layout then I know not to expect as much (basic things should still work though).  On the other hand there are themes with tons of integration and well coded that should probably get more money.  All of yours fall into this and off the top of my head Mazine is in this category too.

I think I am going to have to find 3-4 themes and just edit the crap out of the few that I trust for all new sites. I really like to support authors and like putting money towards innovation… I see my money on codecanyon being well spent, here I waste a lot of time.

42 posts
djmceltic says

@osi

The frustration is not that things don’t work and I can’t fix them. The frustration is the trust and time wasting. I want to hire staff and teach them what I do and best practices – so I can devote more time to innovating new code. I don’t see how I can take new programmers and have them work on themes that weren’t tested properly.

I understand almost instantly if it is me or the theme’s fault – I literally have created 100 sites with WP. Most of the time it’s me. But lately with TF themes it has been the themes. I can’t have a new hire wasting two days on something because of massive bugs. That would be me paying $200+ for buying a bad $40 theme. See where I am going with this?

Also I can’t have author’s say well post it on my forums and I will get to it when it is a major part of their theme. If I am buying a theme, it will be in use 80-90% within 2-3 weeks. Yes I understand there will be bugs but the site has to be usable. If you have stuff for sale then people need it working today. Envato needs testing guidelines.

I have bought from TF on 4 different accounts. The reason I like TF is the diversity. You go to Woothemes and it is all the same crap repackaged. Same with most theme sites. There has to be a better filter before these things go live. Either better testing or let user have a 24 test period. If I had 24 hours to test a theme (or 20 mins) I would have probably bought 10-20 more themes from here. I am so cautious because of things like what I am going through now.

4327 posts ThemeForest Reviewer
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
Ivor Envato team says

@djmceltic Calling out another user and/or their item is not allowed in the forums that’s why I edited some of your posts.

If you found issues with any item please, contact Envato Support. We’ll re-review these items and take the necessary actions.

Also, please offer respect to the users and authors.

by
by
by
by
by
by