2529 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+11 more
JeffreyWay says

Our primary goal is to make the buying process as easy, and consistent, as possible. For example, if somebody buys five WordPress templates, excluding the design of course, they’re all going to be quite different: different folder structure, different options panel, different documentation formatting, etc.

This year, I’d like to start making things a bit more cohesive. To our authors: would you guys be in favor of us requiring the same help file template for all submissions?

This would be the template we’d use. http://blog.themeforest.net/site-news/building-better-template-documentation/

Right now, it’s only an encouraged option.

11 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
SebKay says

I like the idea. However I think that authors should have the option to use a help file that they’re most comfortable with :-)

1 post
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
+2 more
painteddigital says

I think it would help those of us who are new to have something to conform to and help users by keeping things consistent, so I am in favor of it.

4 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
noahhendrix says

I am not an author, but as a customer I like the idea. My favorite documentation by far is

http://themeforest.net/item/forestcp/73046

1599 posts Chris Robinson
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
contempoinc says

+1 been using that template for awhile now, some standardization would definitely be beneficial to buyers.

2541 posts
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
CreatingDrew says

+1

I think standardizing help templates will remove any confusion and facilitate clearer communication, which is the root cause of most template/technical issues seen in my opinion :)

962 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
webdesigndeluxe says

I’m completely for this, but I think it should just be more “expressed” then a rule, as I’ve seen some pretty damn good help files here on Envato. For example, people who make them in PDF ’s with their business logo, page number, etc, those are very nice, and would hate to see authors like those have to “downgrade” their help files :) I think it should be a rule though, to no longer use simple .txt help files though :) This would make everything look a lot nicer :)

69 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
+1 more
GlennMcKeown says

i definitely think all help files should have the same basic structure, with a required minimum level of content. obviously it’d be up to the individual to further expand upon the help offered.

i shouldn’t think it’d be too hard for experienced reviewers to outline the key components of a standardised help file or improve upon the existing one

315 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+6 more
bitpub says
+1 been using that template for awhile now, some standardization would definitely be beneficial to buyers.

+1 I’ve been using a slight modified version of this documentation and it is much more flexible then a word or pdf document. I find it easier to write and edit and users can navigate it easier and copy paste code from it in the template etc.

+1 I think standardizing help templates will remove any confusion and facilitate clearer communication, which is the root cause of most template/technical issues seen in my opinion :)

Couldn’t have said it better myself :D

Highly recommend it :)

2541 posts
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
CreatingDrew says
I’m completely for this, but I think it should just be more “expressed” then a rule, as I’ve seen some pretty damn good help files here on Envato. For example, people who make them in PDF ’s with their business logo, page number, etc, those are very nice, and would hate to see authors like those have to “downgrade” their help files :) I think it should be a rule though, to no longer use simple .txt help files though :) This would make everything look a lot nicer :)

My thought would be requiring a “standard form” as demonstrated by Jeffrey and of course authors could feel free to provide more in depth documentation (screencasts, fancy PDFs etc) with their final download. That way there is a standard in place while still allowing authors to provide additional excellent support/docs if they choose :)

by
by
by
by
by
by