• Won a Competition
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+5 more
KrownThemes says

This is way too complicated, probably pretty bad UX
?

What happens if i want two skills pages in my theme? Or if i don’t want a profile? Or if i want to move things?

I’m stick to whatever you’ve coded for me. I would not have any freedom with your theme..

34 posts
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
Shorti says

This is way too complicated, probably pretty bad UX
?

What happens if i want two skills pages in my theme? Or if i don’t want a profile? Or if i want to move things?

I’m stick to whatever you’ve coded for me. I would not have any freedom with your theme..

These are great points guys, I will definitely look into changing the way I build my themes.

By the way, each section can be turned off, but yes I can see how the page loop would be the better method as the user would be able to rearrange the order of the pages/sections, and add as many pages as they want.

Nice work btw Ruben!

Learning something new everyday, - Shorti

1181 posts How's the surf doing?
  • Forum Superstar
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
+2 more
tommusrhodus says

I just do with with shortcodes, usually the header & footer (usually a slider and a contact section) are defined by custom metaboxes on the page edit, and then the rest with shortcodes. With an OB buffer you can get shortcodes to really simply output complex loops etc. So a section would be something like;

[section id=”blog”] [blog] [/section]

Using the section wrapper you can then link the WP Nav to the ID as well, works out pretty well & it’s totally customizable.

I must admit it’s not the absolute best UX experience compared to something like a drag&drop, but I think it works better than a page loop.

34 posts
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
Shorti says

I just do with with shortcodes, usually the header & footer (usually a slider and a contact section) are defined by custom metaboxes on the page edit, and then the rest with shortcodes. With an OB buffer you can get shortcodes to really simply output complex loops etc. So a section would be something like;

[section id=”blog”] [blog] [/section]

Using the section wrapper you can then link the WP Nav to the ID as well, works out pretty well & it’s totally customizable.

I must admit it’s not the absolute best UX experience compared to something like a drag&drop, but I think it works better than a page loop.

I’m curious to why would you think this is better than the wordpress loop? I would think using default pages with a reorder plugin would work really well: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/my-page-order/

- Shorti

1181 posts How's the surf doing?
  • Forum Superstar
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
+2 more
tommusrhodus says

I’m curious to why would you think this is better than the wordpress loop? I would think using default pages with a reorder plugin would work really well: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/my-page-order/ - Shorti

You know when you’re considering something, & think you’ve found the perfect way, then someone says something really simple that crumbles your world – I think that just happened! :D

I guess our too ways are very similar, I just don’t like to rely on plugins too much.

34 posts
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
Shorti says

I’m curious to why would you think this is better than the wordpress loop? I would think using default pages with a reorder plugin would work really well: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/my-page-order/ - Shorti

You know when you’re considering something, & think you’ve found the perfect way, then someone says something really simple that crumbles your world – I think that just happened! :D

I guess our too ways are very similar, I just don’t like to rely on plugins too much.

Bingo! But I am always open to having my world crumbled in order to rebuild a stronger one, with advice and professional tips from people like RubenBristian and FinalDestiny. ;)

Very true about plugins.

- Shorti

751 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • United States
CyberShot says

I am trying to build mine with queries instead of hard coding it as well. I am having trouble with it though because I found that some templates are being included twice and also the issue of getting single.php to load into index.php without reloading the page. I am now thinking that one massive query to cover everything might do the trick but that could be hard to figure out

34 posts
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
Shorti says

... issue of getting single.php to load into index.php without reloading the page …

That my friend can be solved using AJAX :)

http://css-tricks.com/video-screencasts/81-ajaxing-a-wordpress-theme/

example .. http://themeclubhouse.digwp.com/

352 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
al_m473 says

example of a one-page launch pad theme from wordpress.org

http://themeshaper.com/wordpress-domain-parking-theme/

Al

1 post
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 0-1 years