206 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
mlando says

I have had several inquires for support on a theme offered here. When trying to help, I found that the buyer had one purchase but had the theme in use for multiple client’s sites.

Funny, the buyer didn’t know that this was a problem.

Do buyers not understand the use terms?

206 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
+1 more
naweedshams says
I have had several inquires for support on a theme offered here. When trying to help, I found that the buyer had one purchase but had the theme in use for multiple client’s sites.

Funny, the buyer didn’t know that this was a problem.

Do buyers not understand the use terms?

Hmm…

An extended licence could reach upto $1500.. compared to hundreds of other wordpress theme providers… a developer package would cost a reasonable $150 (e.g woothemes).

There’s no way to restrict users from over ruling the terms i guess.

Most newbie theme buyers don’t know about the terms.. unless it’s displayed in the description page ;)

206 posts
+2 more
mlando says

It is posted when you select the license to buy but IMO it doesn’t say it clear enough…

48 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
xentris says

Well, it’s well close to impossible to track such uses of the themes.. I haven’t submitted a theme here yet and I’m a buyer but I keep saying that the prices here need to go up… TF should really put such unavoidable copyright violations and piracy into account when putting a price tag on a theme.

248 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
dwhitmore says

I’m a buyer and i DO know this – it’s very clear in the T&C’s.

However, the people that intend on abusing it can’t be stopped, in general they’ll probably just pretend they didn’t realise they weren’t allowed.

In this instance you can choose to reject any support enquiries until he pays up properly, else you’ll just have to hope it doesn’t happen in general.

Dan

456 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
godonholiday says

This might seem a little far fetched,

But couldnt you code in a ‘kill switch’ that when activated, the theme fails in some way (maybe all CSS is dropped).

Then you just issue an update to all buyers. Can wee see a list of contact details for our buyers?

HAving said all of that, I guess a price rise might filter out a few of those bad buyers.

I also agree with the lowering of the developer theme price.

Its not competitive, it puts buyers off and maybe pushes them towards a decision of “well know one will know I am using it twice.. etc..”

On a side note: I have no idea how to find out if anyone is using my Tumblr theme once let alone on multiple sites. (Its not amazing, but would like to know how its being used)

206 posts
+2 more
mlando says

But couldnt you code in a ‘kill switch’ that when activated, the theme fails in some way (maybe all CSS is dropped).

Then you just issue an update to all buyers. Can wee see a list of contact details for our buyers?

HAving said all of that, I guess a price rise might filter out a few of those bad buyers.

Its not competitive, it puts buyers off and maybe pushes them towards a decision of “well know one will know I am using it twice.. etc..”

On a side note: I have no idea how to find out if anyone is using my Tumblr theme once let alone on multiple sites. (Its not amazing, but would like to know how its being used)

I simply stumbled upon it when checking their portfolio and saw multiple uses. We can see when people buy items and how many they have of them when they contact us.

A license management script that can disable would be cool… maybe a code canyon idea.

How about in addition to “Regular license” and “Extended Use” what about “5 packs” for the price of 4 or something. Maybe it will help with sales too.

@dwhitmore I always read terms and usage and understand the use when I buy digital products to use as most developers and designers do. But unfortunately sometime people think that when they buy something it is now theirs to do what they want. What I was going for is that when you select the license when you buy that it Shows that you are getting a 1 purchase = one site license ONLY …. more obvious. Currently you have to click the “more examples” to get that info. This is how it reads now: ex: You Can Use This Item In: a website (commercial, personal, client), or intranet site project … (More Examples)

It could say You Can Use This Item In: One website (commercial, personal, client), or intranet site project … additional licesnes can be purchased for addition domains.(More Examples)

or similar… nothing major just more to the front.

559 posts Themes and Graphics
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+9 more
Bebel says

... A license management script that can disable would be cool… maybe a code canyon idea.

PHP is an interpreted language. Thus you can’t add something like a license system. Look at vbulletin! They really put some time in it and it still is easy to crack if you know what you are doing. No reverse engineering, just take out the code. It just scares the buyer of! Have a look at the gaming industry. The games are compiled and the protection mechanisms are really expensive but still are possible to reverse engineer.

Its something you can’t stop. Prices on tf are low. That’s good! The cheaper something is, the more people will consider to buy it. People who don’t want to spend a pence get it from somewhere else anyway. :)

814 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Contributed a free file of the month
+3 more
rvision_ says
How about in addition to “Regular license” and “Extended Use” what about “5 packs” for the price of 4 or something. Maybe it will help with sales too.

+1

5 packs sounds good idea to me. With it, all these “54236 skins/colors/fonts” in one theme makes more sense.

I asked buyers also why is this important to them if licence is only for 1 website : http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/what-is-the-most-important-factor-you-consider-when-buying-a-theme/29206?page=2

Only acceptable answer for me is that buyers might not have Photoshop installed.

206 posts
+1 more
naweedshams says
Well, it’s well close to impossible to track such uses of the themes.. I haven’t submitted a theme here yet and I’m a buyer but I keep saying that the prices here need to go up… TF should really put such unavoidable copyright violations and piracy into account when putting a price tag on a theme.

That wouldn’t be fair. So you want to pay for themes which cost $150…

That’s why there is a choice between one licence or extended, but the extended licence is over ridiculously expensive.

If it goes up then I’ll simply purchase elsewhere.. for instance mojo-themes.com.

by
by
by
by
by
by