• Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Australia says

If authors have issue with it, and are happy with the current status quo,, then initiate an opt out service. Prior to sampling.

The authors wouldnt know either way, then if sales are affected its their own issue.

1159 posts
  • Author had a File in a Mini Bundle
  • Won a Competition
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Malawi
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
+2 more
chiccosinalo says

this is great news. hope it works for the best.

53 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
bogdan_09 says

Just a heads up that over the next 12 months, we will be conducting a series of pricing tests across the marketplaces.

+1 I hope it will be successfull, however in my opinion 12 months is a long time… but I’m sure you guys know’s better how long it takes to get relevant results :)

We will be testing a small sampling of items from target categories and price points, bit by bit over time. The first of the price tests will occur in ThemeForest, but will not be for WordPress items.

I don’t know if is relevant but I think it would be interesting to hear from authors how the price increase for WordPress themes has influenced their sales.

You may notice some items’ prices will go up, some will go down, and others will remain the same. We may also break away from the traditional $5 increments during these tests.

I’m creating html templates so I can only speak about HTML category.

In February 2012 one of my templates (is an one page template) was approved for sale under the HTML category for the price of $13. This month (this mean 2 years later) my latest template, which is also an one page template can be bought for the same amount of money, $13. Meanwhile I’m pretty sure that prices rise up for bills, food and so on.

In my opinion there is no reason for item’s prices to go down, the price for HTML templates is already ridiculously low.

Bogdan

432 posts butlerm.com
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Beta Tester
+10 more
butlerm says

Please let us know when you move onto a different marketplaces, thank you!

280 posts
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 0-1 years
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
vishnusathyan says

thanks for the info :)

240 posts WordPress Theme Devoloper
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+1 more
kayapati says

Thanks for the info.

747 posts kontramax.com
  • Community Superstar
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Beta Tester
+11 more
Kontramax says

It would be great if authors who experience price changes could get notified via email about the change.

+1

1288 posts
  • Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Bangladesh
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
IngeniousArtist says

Neat! :D

70 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Envato Staff
  • Site Manager
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • United States
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
EricSchwartz Staff says

Hi everyone, thanks for voicing your concerns. Please remember these tests are aimed at minimizing upfront impact on the community while ultimately maximizing overall value for the community.

Again rest assured these will be very targeted tests, each with a clear purpose – we will not be simply raising or lowering prices drastically or willy nilly for the sake of it. We will be closely monitoring the results to ensure the pricing strategy provides an overall community benefit.

Once each test is complete, based on the outcome we will either roll-back the items to original prices, or if the data supports it initiate a plan to roll-out a permanent price change to the rest of the items in that target category/price point.

To address some specific issues that have been raised:

@CodingJack Unfortunately the nature of the tests makes this kind of direct communication prohibitive. The intention of this announcement was to serve as upfront notification that these tests will be occurring, and of what to expect. As the price changes will not require any action on an author’s behalf, we intend to keep this process as unobtrusive as possible. If any concerns arise over a specific price change, please bring them to support.

@jonathan01 Hopefully the above clarifications have already helped to alleviate any major concerns you have. As per the membership terms and conditions, marketplace pricing decisions reside solely with Envato, and we will be continuing to exercise this discretion as we determine what is in the best interest of the community.

@chrisakelley Similarly per the terms and conditions we are not able to offer opt-in/opt-out of repricing. This will also ensure the tests are as organic and meaningful as possible without skewing sample groups and outcomes.

@bogdan_09 Each individual price test will not last for 12 months, we will simply be conducting these tests as needed over the course of the upcoming year.

5310 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+5 more
CodingJack says

@CodingJack Unfortunately the nature of the tests makes this kind of direct communication prohibitive. The intention of this announcement was to serve as upfront notification that these tests will be occurring, and of what to expect. As the price changes will not require any action on an author’s behalf, we intend to keep this process as unobtrusive as possible. If any concerns arise over a specific price change, please bring them to support.

Unfortunately there are lots of authors who advertise their items and say things like “Buy now for only $9!”, and will now have to check their portfolios every day to see if a price change occurred. That may not seem like a big deal to some, but to those with large portfolios, it’s a fairly large task.

by
by
by
by
by
by