70 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Envato Staff
  • Site Manager
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • United States
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
EricSchwartz Staff says

@CodingJack Unfortunately the nature of the tests makes this kind of direct communication prohibitive. The intention of this announcement was to serve as upfront notification that these tests will be occurring, and of what to expect. As the price changes will not require any action on an author’s behalf, we intend to keep this process as unobtrusive as possible. If any concerns arise over a specific price change, please bring them to support.
Unfortunately there are lots of authors who advertise their items and say things like “Buy now for only $9!”, and will now have to check their portfolios every day to see if a price change occurred. That may not seem like a big deal to some, but to those with large portfolios, it’s a fairly large task.

I’m curious, do you do this with your items? If so, do you use the Envato API? If the displayed price information is pulled from the API, it will update automatically whenever any pricing changes occur.

2263 posts Bird is the word..
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
jonathan01 says

@CodingJack Unfortunately the nature of the tests makes this kind of direct communication prohibitive. The intention of this announcement was to serve as upfront notification that these tests will be occurring, and of what to expect. As the price changes will not require any action on an author’s behalf, we intend to keep this process as unobtrusive as possible. If any concerns arise over a specific price change, please bring them to support.
Unfortunately there are lots of authors who advertise their items and say things like “Buy now for only $9!”, and will now have to check their portfolios every day to see if a price change occurred. That may not seem like a big deal to some, but to those with large portfolios, it’s a fairly large task.
I’m curious, do you do this with your items? If so, do you use the Envato API? If the displayed price information is pulled from the API, it will update automatically whenever any pricing changes occur.

I believe CodingJack was referring to graphical ads (google ads, buysellads etc) you can’t dynamically alter a price using an API on a graphical advert. Even if this was not what was meant by CodingJack, it does bring up a valid point however.

Jonathan

1 post
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 0-1 years
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
Magmoz says

Another theory to add on: A $20 price point may be best for most products as it’s the most convenient for consumers who’ve just loaded their wallet. It’s also one of the lowest minimum loads.

1401 posts
  • Author had a File in a Mini Bundle
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • United States
WebSmacker says

@magmoz – but then that alleviates the purpose of it. Envato wants you to have a little left in your account so you remember to come back later and use it. Worked on me 4 years ago!! lol

5310 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
CodingJack says

@EricSchwartz yeah this isn’t really that big of an issue for me personally to be honest. I was mostly just trying to make the broader point that whenever a change is made to an authors account and/or item, it should be standard practice that they be notified via email of the change. If this is currently possible, most authors would probably appreciate it. If not, maybe add it to “the pipe” for the future :)

2947 posts
  • Australia
  • Community Moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+10 more
dtbaker Volunteer moderator says

Some authors might not see this notifications, would it be difficult to add a little help icon in the statement (similar to reversals) that people can click to get information about any any weird looking prices? Probably too hard though.

Thanks for letting us know! I always welcome pricing changes. Would be interested to see some stats when the project is over. I’d love to know how you determine if a pricing change is better/worse etc…

1244 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+3 more
Pricop says

It would be great if authors who experience price changes could get notified via email about the change.

And also an out out option as well.

3426 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+5 more
KrownThemes says

For all those of you who want an opt out button, you forget that you have an agreement with Envato, agreement in which they set the price. If they want to put all WordPress themes to $100 or $10 they can do that and they shouldn’t ask anyone (exaggerating of course, but it’s the truth). You never had control over the prices of your items so why do you all now feel that you’re in control? :)

Anyway, an email or notification would be nice.

7173 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
+1 more
doru says

you can’t opt out because then the test on a particular category will mean nothing. If the price will go op then your items will be a better option for the buyer. Test sales fail. If prices go down then less people will buy your item. Test sales fail and you get angry.

Also they can’t tell when this happens because then you can theoretically create ads like: “Get my item now and save 5$ because in three days the price go up” or “From tomorrow you can buy my item at a discount of 5$! Get it now till the price go to normal again”

If you read the first post in this thread is what the staff asked. To ignore the price change when this happen and act normally. They will monitor the way sales are going and then they will decide if the prices is ok or they need some other scheme.

Note this is better than in the past when they just increase/decrease prices permanently motivating that they know what they are doing.

While there’s a small doubt of my part that they will take the right decisions I think we need to help with this market research by doing what they asked, nothing. Now this may not work probably if authors will start to lose sales big time, we will wait and see

by
by
by
by
by
by