Thank you for the informations.

113 posts
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Joined us in one of our Envato Live Events
  • Located in Australia
+1 more
EricSchwartz Envato team says

@CodingJack Unfortunately the nature of the tests makes this kind of direct communication prohibitive. The intention of this announcement was to serve as upfront notification that these tests will be occurring, and of what to expect. As the price changes will not require any action on an author’s behalf, we intend to keep this process as unobtrusive as possible. If any concerns arise over a specific price change, please bring them to support.
Unfortunately there are lots of authors who advertise their items and say things like “Buy now for only $9!”, and will now have to check their portfolios every day to see if a price change occurred. That may not seem like a big deal to some, but to those with large portfolios, it’s a fairly large task.

I’m curious, do you do this with your items? If so, do you use the Envato API? If the displayed price information is pulled from the API, it will update automatically whenever any pricing changes occur.

2276 posts Bird is the word..
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
jonathan01 says

@CodingJack Unfortunately the nature of the tests makes this kind of direct communication prohibitive. The intention of this announcement was to serve as upfront notification that these tests will be occurring, and of what to expect. As the price changes will not require any action on an author’s behalf, we intend to keep this process as unobtrusive as possible. If any concerns arise over a specific price change, please bring them to support.
Unfortunately there are lots of authors who advertise their items and say things like “Buy now for only $9!”, and will now have to check their portfolios every day to see if a price change occurred. That may not seem like a big deal to some, but to those with large portfolios, it’s a fairly large task.
I’m curious, do you do this with your items? If so, do you use the Envato API? If the displayed price information is pulled from the API, it will update automatically whenever any pricing changes occur.

I believe CodingJack was referring to graphical ads (google ads, buysellads etc) you can’t dynamically alter a price using an API on a graphical advert. Even if this was not what was meant by CodingJack, it does bring up a valid point however.

Jonathan

1 post
  • Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
Magmoz says

Another theory to add on: A $20 price point may be best for most products as it’s the most convenient for consumers who’ve just loaded their wallet. It’s also one of the lowest minimum loads.

1463 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Pack
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
WebSmacker says

@magmoz – but then that alleviates the purpose of it. Envato wants you to have a little left in your account so you remember to come back later and use it. Worked on me 4 years ago!! lol

5360 posts The Dude Abides
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+9 more
CodingJack says

@EricSchwartz yeah this isn’t really that big of an issue for me personally to be honest. I was mostly just trying to make the broader point that whenever a change is made to an authors account and/or item, it should be standard practice that they be notified via email of the change. If this is currently possible, most authors would probably appreciate it. If not, maybe add it to “the pipe” for the future :)

3100 posts
  • Located in Australia
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+16 more
dtbaker Moderator says

Some authors might not see this notifications, would it be difficult to add a little help icon in the statement (similar to reversals) that people can click to get information about any any weird looking prices? Probably too hard though.

Thanks for letting us know! I always welcome pricing changes. Would be interested to see some stats when the project is over. I’d love to know how you determine if a pricing change is better/worse etc…

1275 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+8 more
Pricop says

It would be great if authors who experience price changes could get notified via email about the change.

And also an out out option as well.

3567 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
KrownThemes says

For all those of you who want an opt out button, you forget that you have an agreement with Envato, agreement in which they set the price. If they want to put all WordPress themes to $100 or $10 they can do that and they shouldn’t ask anyone (exaggerating of course, but it’s the truth). You never had control over the prices of your items so why do you all now feel that you’re in control? :)

Anyway, an email or notification would be nice.

7600 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

you can’t opt out because then the test on a particular category will mean nothing. If the price will go op then your items will be a better option for the buyer. Test sales fail. If prices go down then less people will buy your item. Test sales fail and you get angry.

Also they can’t tell when this happens because then you can theoretically create ads like: “Get my item now and save 5$ because in three days the price go up” or “From tomorrow you can buy my item at a discount of 5$! Get it now till the price go to normal again”

If you read the first post in this thread is what the staff asked. To ignore the price change when this happen and act normally. They will monitor the way sales are going and then they will decide if the prices is ok or they need some other scheme.

Note this is better than in the past when they just increase/decrease prices permanently motivating that they know what they are doing.

While there’s a small doubt of my part that they will take the right decisions I think we need to help with this market research by doing what they asked, nothing. Now this may not work probably if authors will start to lose sales big time, we will wait and see

by
by
by
by
by
by