6000 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

Imho, we have really few weapons to fight rippers and black market, and the main one is the help documentation. Don’t put it online, or you wil give another benefit to people finding rips or outdated item packs on warez sites.

An outdated source code can be enough for this situation. The outdated help documents not necessarily going to be a pain for a free downloader, since they can still view our item comments and got helped from there. Weighing from that aspect, in case the online document efficiently works better for a customer, we no longer need to consider about free downloaders. Depends on the type of item for sure.

492 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+8 more
pixelentity says

we no longer need to consider about free downloaders.
agree, that shouldn’t be part of the equation. The offline docs requirement doesn’t make much sense when you consider what we’re selling here.

BF

591 posts Magento Elite & Gravity Maker
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+3 more
GravityDept says

Imho, we have really few weapons to fight rippers and black market, and the main one is the help documentation. Don’t put it online, or you wil give another benefit to people finding rips or outdated item packs on warez sites.

Quite the opposite — host your documentation online-only and require purchase verification to access it. Then pirates will have no help after stealing your work.

3748 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
+9 more
pezflash says

Yeap, that’s a different point of view, makes sense; i’m somehow agree. Anyway, we shouldn’t care about black market on any equation.

104 posts
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+5 more
Webthemer says

I provide only basic documentation on how to install theme in Joomla or WordPress and online i provide extensive documentation but for verified customers only, that way pirates must buy if they would like to know how it works.

1265 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+8 more
Pricop says

Quite the opposite — host your documentation online-only and require purchase verification to access it. Then pirates will have no help after stealing your work.

Sorry but I must disagree. What would stop someone who shares your script on pirate sites, to right click on your web-based documentation and save it as html ? This won’t stop them in my opinion.

591 posts Magento Elite & Gravity Maker
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+3 more
GravityDept says

Sorry but I must disagree. What would stop someone who shares your script on pirate sites, to right click on your web-based documentation and save it as html ? This won’t stop them in my opinion.

That assumes pirates aren’t as lazy as they are cheap. I’d bet that most pirates never even open the files they’re redistributing. They’re not buying for personal use.

6000 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

That assumes pirates aren’t as lazy as they are cheap. I’d bet that most pirates never even open the files they’re redistributing. They’re not buying for personal use.

Once they realize things gone different, they will start making the extra effort. We can’t dwell deep about pirates psychology. We supposed to spend our brain cells mostly for genuine buyers! :D

2025 posts
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Contributed a free file of the month
+8 more
revaxarts says

Thanks for all the comments! I personally don’t care about the “bad guys” and rather like to concentrate to make my buyers happy while reducing some recurring and redundant tasks.

Having the docs in one place is a step in the right direction and as BF mentioned offline ones do not make much sense in this business.

Since some already do this successful while others get forced to include it I’m wondering what the official response might be.

I’ve requested a staff reply in the beginning so I hope we get this soon.

2002 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
bitfade says

why the forbidden argument is still being discussed ? i personally don’t care at all about jack sparrow, other authors may be worried and only bundle docs in their downloads. Everyone’s happy, move on.

The question here is why envato doesn’t allow online only docs ? Especially when you consider that fixing a typo in docs requires zip to be recreated, uploaded on envato and (trumpets here) approved by a reviewer

Seriously ?

by
by
by
by
by
by