• Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Exclusive Author
  • Switzerland
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+3 more
DanielKeller says
yea gotta agree… 50% of html/css coder might be people that failed at actionscript :D I must say for me personally it isn’t easy to learn AS3 , wondering how long it gonna take if I learn everyday 2 hours….... 2 years?
Most html/css coders use JavaScript, which has the same origins as ActionScript (based on ECMAScript) and I’d say it’s harder to master than AS. :P
No, you can do it in less than 6 months if you start with the basics and gradually build up your repertoire :D

thanks a lot man…. good advice, that helps me a lot

78 posts
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
fredwu says

I didn’t read all the posts in this thread, but if you haven’t seen this, you should:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hqFTx8rLsg

;)

3135 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Won a Competition
Daniel_R says
I didn’t read all the posts in this thread, but if you haven’t seen this, you should:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hqFTx8rLsg

;)

very interesting…Android fan here!

3135 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
  • Won a Competition
Daniel_R says
yea gotta agree… 50% of html/css coder might be people that failed at actionscript :D I must say for me personally it isn’t easy to learn AS3 , wondering how long it gonna take if I learn everyday 2 hours….... 2 years?
Most html/css coders use JavaScript, which has the same origins as ActionScript (based on ECMAScript) and I’d say it’s harder to master than AS. :P
No, you can do it in less than 6 months if you start with the basics and gradually build up your repertoire :D
thanks a lot man…. good advice, that helps me a lot

I love you kid for that!

1173 posts
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
Motionreactor says

Totally agree with you. JavaScript is much more of an oddity and a minefield to use than ActionScript. AS is at least a more coherent experience.

5310 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
CodingJack says
Totally agree with you. JavaScript is much more of an oddity and a minefield to use than ActionScript. AS is at least a more coherent experience.

This is why we should abandon JavaScript as outdated technology and the whole web should become AS3 driven :D

(just kidding by the way :D )

But seriously, if I have to start working with JavaScript in the future, I’m not looking forward to it because it’s going to feel like going back to AS2 .

1173 posts
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
Motionreactor says

This is why we should abandon JavaScript as outdated technology and the whole web should become AS3 driven :D

(just kidding by the way :D )

But seriously, if I have to start working with JavaScript in the future, I’m not looking forward to it because it’s going to feel like going back to AS2 .

This is true, definitely frustrating… but if we push it and push it, we’ll end up with an open system eventually. In the meantime, there’s a place for any type of rich media platform.

296 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • United Kingdom
theninja says

Don’t be such a meanie ! :D
Inevitably it’ll take JavaScript longer to evolve because of it’s open nature, ActionScript is proprietary and whatever adobe says goes, but for JavaScript a whole lot of people have to agree on things that they don’t necessarily agree on, lol.
Don’t be so quick to judge it, JavaScript’s a great language (and totally pawns AS3 haha).
It seems what makes ActionScript easier to learn for most people is the debugging tools, but in reality both languages are syntactically very similar, so saying one is worse than the other without having used both is silly :P

by
by
by
by
by
by