1141 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
KarmaThemes says

Hi Envato Team, my title basically says it all. I would prefer links to open in a new tab automatically, especially when in the Item Discussions Forum I don’t want to always press Cmd when opening the link so I can check it in a new tab without leaving the thread.

Kind regards!

1950 posts Do the Needful
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has referred 10+ members
+10 more
JamiGibbs says

I personally find it a major annoyance when a website decides for me if a link should open in a new window. I like having the choice of simply clicking ‘right click – open link in new tab’.

Just my opinion though.

1734 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
VisualSharing says

Opening links in a new windows is considered a terrible usability practice, because it is user choice whether to click the link with left or middle mouse button.

I think a much more needed improvement is disabling the “Post reply” button after submitting a reply, to disable double posting.

1141 posts
+2 more
KarmaThemes says

But at the moment themeforest decides for me that the link opens in the same window, doesn’t it?
The fancy mac mouse I got only opens the menu on right-click, which makes 2 clicks for opening a link in a new tab (or using cmd + click), which is what I do all the time.
I don’t even have a middle mouse button.

I think it’s best to default the way of the majority. Well, since I do not have any statistics for that,… maybe I am really the only one who opens themeforest links in new tabs all the time… :)

1734 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
VisualSharing says

But at the moment themeforest decides for me that the link opens in the same window, doesn’t it?

Users have the option to open it in the same window, or in a new window. If they are forced to open it in a new window, they have no such option (and try clicking on a “new-window” link with the mouse button :S – it’s really uncomfortable).

The fancy mac mouse I got only opens the menu on right-click, which makes 2 clicks for opening a link in a new tab (or using cmd + click), which is what I do all the time. I don’t even have a middle mouse button.

I believe then you should write on a Mac hardware board, requesting them to add such functionality. Besides, since the mouse is fancy, I really don’t believe that it doesn’t come bundled with some driver options, enabling you to customize functionality (e.g. gestures). With that said, I like the Magic Mouse design.

A nice read on the topic: Should Links Open In New Windows? by Smashing Magazine. The article features references to some researches.

By the way I noticed you are a TF author – so assuming you know JavaScript, you could write yourself a script that does what you want. :)

1141 posts
+2 more
KarmaThemes says
Users have the option to open it in the same window, or in a new window. If they are forced to open it in a new window, they have no such option (and try clicking on a “new-window” link with the mouse button – it’s really uncomfortable).
Okay I understand that point now, that’s true. My opinion still does not change tho.

I will try to find out if the mouse does support that.

All the best :)

894 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
infuse01 says

I found it always interesting to make such kind of feature ‘user-specific’. Why no one offers this as an option in the account settings is still a mystery for me.

by
by
by
by
by
by