492 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
avenue28 says

Hey ppl…

I want to learn video editing and wanna start with open source software just to see if I can really get a grasp…

I did a bit of googling and found Jahshaka. Any body has any ideas about it…I mean if any body used it, is it really worth taking a shot at it? If you can suggest any thing else that may help me learn, that would be great… :)

Thanx…

492 posts
+3 more
avenue28 says

guys…nobody???...somebody…some advice please!!!...

4911 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+9 more
MarkBrodhuber Envato team says

Well to be honest…I have never heard of that program. Never really heard of any stable open source video editing solution. BUT the thing is Video Editing demands a pretty powerful software solution. Most are pretty resource intensive, and can become pretty expensive. So I understand your need for an open-source or cheap alternative. The problem is, with low end video editing packages, you lose a lot of the capabilities that the higher end packages have provided and grown for those reasons.

On the high end side…you can look at Adobe Premier and Final Cut Pro…Both now work on a Mac, but if your on a PC your limited to Adobe Premier. But both can be pretty pricey. If you are looking to edit professionally or freelance, you will need a minimum of one of these packages eventually. Of course there are a bunch of packages from other companies that are much more advanced than the two I mentioned above…but they are MORE expensive, and much more difficult to use.

I would suggest trying something like Vegas Video…which is pretty powerful for a low level editing package. Its not free…but its pretty decently priced.

492 posts
+3 more
avenue28 says

aah…thanx for the reply doze…that really explained things very well to me..I guess I give the trail versions of the adobe products a shot…at least I can play with them for a month on a trail basis…once again thank you very much… :)

by
by
by
by
by
by