707 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
ChillThemes says

For now the given Theme Customizer should be purely used for visual options.
Why is that?

Put analytics code in the theme customizer? Unlimited sidebars generator? Custom CSS code? API inputs for wp updates?

I think that it would be really bloated and not necessarily useful. Since it’s a Theme Customizer, not a Theme Options Panel..

..just my 2c

+1 I’d hate to see someone trying to cram all into the Theme Customizer, that’d be overkill. If you’re providing options that modify things that are displayed visually on the front end keep it out of the Theme Customizer, imho.

3249 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+1 more
organicbee says

For now the given Theme Customizer should be purely used for visual options.
Why is that?

Put analytics code in the theme customizer? Unlimited sidebars generator? Custom CSS code? API inputs for wp updates?

I think that it would be really bloated and not necessarily useful. Since it’s a Theme Customizer, not a Theme Options Panel..

..just my 2c

not sure why you have analytic code, unlimited sidebars, custom css or api inputs

makes the Theme feel kind of bloated

not saying there arent options that make the customizer feel bloated but most of what you mentioned should go into a plugin ;-)

3567 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
KrownThemes says

not saying there arent options that make the customizer feel bloated but most of what you mentioned should go into a plugin ;-)

No thanks. Absolutely every time i got a plugin i had to go inside it and fix it because it was badly coded! I have yet to see a plugin which doesn’t load it’s stuff everywhere in my theme or a lightbox which doesn’t break all the js.. And most of the plugins don’t offer hooks or filters so i can modify them easily..

So no.. I better do these in my theme while not even thinking of “WordPress rules”.. Yeah, my themes may be bloated, but at least they sell well ;)

3249 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
+1 more
organicbee says

No thanks. Absolutely every time i got a plugin i had to go inside it and fix it because it was badly coded! I have yet to see a plugin which doesn’t load it’s stuff everywhere in my theme or a lightbox which doesn’t break all the js.. And most of the plugins don’t offer hooks or filters so i can modify them easily..

So no.. I better do these in my theme while not even thinking of “WordPress rules”.. Yeah, my themes may be bloated, but at least they sell well ;)

I can name a couple hundred plugins that work perfectly fine with properly coded themes and have user hooks + plugable functions :-)

also why not write your own plugin so your users dont get locked into a theme? wait that would just be absurd…...

+10 more
KrownThemes says

also why not write your own plugin so your users dont get locked into a theme? wait that would just be absurd…...

yep, it would be ;)

330 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
PaulWinslow says

If you’re providing options that modify things that are displayed visually on the front end keep it out of the Theme Customizer, imho.

Have you ever seen the customizer? What you just described – visual changes to the front-end – is exactly what it is built for, and is exactly what it’s good at.

Chris beat me to it. Ideally, these should not be baked into a theme.

Yeah, my themes may be bloated, but at least they sell well ;)

Nice.

+10 more
KrownThemes says

Well i’m sorry for my attitude, but i’m just offering what buyers are looking for. And currently, buyers are looking for bloated themes not for themes that utilize tons of plugins. I’m not here to advocate for what is right or wrong in WordPress, i’m just here to make good themes that buyers like. They really don’t care about how a theme is made if it serves their purpose so if everybody does it this way i don’t see any reason to do it differently..

Following your philosophy a theme should have 10 plugins, because you need a plugin for sidebars, one for custom post types, one for custom code, one for shortcodes, one for contact forms, one for sliders, one for galleries, etc..

So what am i selling in the end? A stylesheet for external plugins? Or a fully featured theme? A website! This is what i’m selling .. a website, not a plain WordPress Theme done 100% by the book.

707 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+2 more
ChillThemes says

If you’re providing options that modify things that are displayed visually on the front end keep it out of the Theme Customizer, imho.
Have you ever seen the customizer? What you just described – visual changes to the front-end – is exactly what it is built for, and is exactly what it’s good at.

Yes, I’ve seen it. That’s a typo, I meant keep it in, not out. :D

192 posts Quality Templates
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
+3 more
ThemeRox says

I like SMOF more than other theme option framework. Its really great to me. :)

by
by
by
by
by
by