922 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
+13 more
MDNW says

@P&K – Say ‘serialized’ one more time… I dare you.

3256 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+9 more
ParkerAndKent says

@P&K – Say ‘serialized’ one more time… I dare you.

:) Sorryalize

438 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+1 more
Pixelous says

Guys, I have tried this:

<?php
if ( function_exists( 'ot_get_option' ) ) {
    $logo = ot_get_option( 'logo' );
}
?>

<?php the_attachment_link( $logo, true ); ?>

Buy it returns ‘Missing Attachment’ :( How could I get image width and height?

922 posts
+13 more
MDNW says

I just wanted to mention that while the new OptionTree is great (and it was easy enough to update my themes to be compatible), the fact that this literally broke my themes for all existing users when they regularly update their plugins really sucks. We tell people all the time to maintain up to date plugins… but in this case, I literally have people updating their plugins and breaking their sites.

I said it once and I’ll say it again, if we can get support for the old XML file auto-load, that’d be awesome. I know it’s a hassle and it’s old, bad code, but I already have upwards of 40 tickets from the last 24 hours alone of people raging about the fact that the new plugin breaks the old copy of their theme that they spent hours, days, weeks customizing.

I’m doing the right things – telling them to either update the theme or roll back to the old 1.1.8 version of the plugin… but this is sorta a mess from a transition point of view.

Alternative (possibly better) idea: Can we pull back OptionTree 2.0.x and release it as a wholly new plugin under a different plugin name? That way we’d have two plugins in the WP directory: OptionTree 1 and OptionTree 2. And I could tell all of my theme users that my old themes work on OptionTree 1 (while building all of my new ones on OT2 ).

Thoughts?

566 posts
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in a magazine
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+17 more
theMOLITOR says

...this is sorta a mess from a transition point of view.

I have to agree with Brandon on this one. I’m all for improving code and keeping things clean, new, better, etc. But the way this all went down has quite literally caused me quite a bit of stress.

As Brandon mentioned, my support requests have gone through the roof as a result of users updating to OptionTree 2. I’m a bit surprised that there is zero support for the previous method used.

I’m currently putting my entire [birthday] weekend on hold just to figure out how to update all my 20+ themes that are dependent on this plugin to work.

I know Derek is working hard, means well and has been very responsive to my communications, but this is quite a mess IMO .

Chris

922 posts
+13 more
MDNW says

For the record, I want to say that I’ve got no anger or frustration for Derek on this one – In my opinion this isn’t his fault – there wasn’t enough testing done by the community and relying on one person (Derek) to manage an entire plugin is ridiculous. He’s done a crazy good job, but he’s just one dude and it’s not fair to lay the blame on him for working his ass off on the new version. It’s awesome stuff, I just wish the transition was smoother. I’ll own up to being part of the problem though – if I’d (or any theme developers) had made more time to test the new version out and throw up a red flag pre-release, this wouldn’t have happened. As it happened, no one cried foul and Derek thought everything was peachy until AFTER he released OT2 . Having gone through a few theme-releases in the past where massive bugs pop up after I launch them, I can say that’s about the worst feeling in the world to release what you think is a stable product only to find out that it breaks. Derek’s scrambling like the rest of us, and I seriously appreciate all of the hard work he’s put in on this. The transition will pass (smooth or not), and we’ll all be toasting to OT2 soon enough here ;)

566 posts
+17 more
theMOLITOR says

For the record, I want to say that I’ve got no anger or frustration for Derek on this one.

That’s a good point, and I have similar feelings… BUT … Wouldn’t an easy way to test if there was a problem be updating the plugin from 1.X to 2.X and seeing that nothing works?

Maybe I’m speaking from plugin developer ignorance (haven’t touched plugins), but that would be the first thing I would do once I think I have a finished product.

751 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
CyberShot says

I for one would not mind it if there was a way that we could help him out in testing any future releases. I really do appreciate the work that people put into building FREE ! plugins that really help authors save massive amounts of development time in building custom WordPress themes. I would hate for this experience to stop Derek from producing any future updates of the OT framework. Maybe he should start a testing group that he could release any future version to for testing. Some of these guys posting above said they have 20+ themes that use older versions of the plugin. Sounds like they would be a perfect testing platform for Derek

922 posts
+13 more
MDNW says

@themolitor – Yes, but expecting Derek to test our themes isn’t necessarily reasonable (especially when he’ll be the first to tell you that lots of themes out there simply aren’t coded properly to begin with). I’d like to assume he was using his own themes as a test-case… and sure, it would have been nice to have him test out a few of the popular OT themes out there, but that’s also like asking us theme devs to test for the “popular” plugins out there… at some point you’ve just gotta be responsible for your own stuff working, which is what he focused on.

Anyways, I’d love to have a scapegoat in this situation… I’m resisting it though as I know that’s not going to help anything.

I still wouldn’t mind it if we could release OT2 as it’s own plugin. I’m ignorant on this one myself… but it seems like a pretty easy way to stop the bleeding.

566 posts
+17 more
theMOLITOR says

Does using “theme mode” require the author to manually update the theme for each new version of OptionTree?

Is there not an option like before where we can include some basic files to have all the options “built in”, but still allow the user to update the plugin on their own?

I’m not seeing anything like that in the documentation.

by
by
by
by
by
by